Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few seasons we always hear of these Derby County academy players which are supposed wind up being "big stars" or help Derby County's future in the Premiership :yawn:

We all know the names of guys like Pablo Mills, Lee Holmes, Nathan Doyle and the list can go on...

And there were also guys like Huddlestone who was sold before he can make an impact and a guy like Barnes today who may not be with Derby any longer.

Right now there are guys like Beardsley, Hanson, Nayatanga and Addison (probably Jimbo and Durkos know more as well) but what's to say they will develop into anything special?

The Derby academy usually does well in terms of results, but how come the players never develop into what is expected? I also feel Derby don't give their academy players a true chance to prove themselves.

I feel for the final 6 matches of the season, we should see some youngsters and academy players be involved, see what they can bring to you at a high level and evauluate them for next season

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
We don't give enough of them enough of a chance. Lionel Ainsworth was the one that really annoyed me, bags of potential, and got on the bench a couple of times, but never a game to actually show what he can do.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
To be honest though, I would say recently our academy lads probably just aren't good enough to make the step up.. I mean that may sound a bit harsh on them, as they are still developing but you would have thought if they were good enough, they might have at least got a place on the bench or pushing to play in the first team

1 - 3 of 3 Posts