Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
China star set for United debut
AP

A Chinese player will play for Manchester United for the first time.

Chinese striker Dong Fangzhuo has been named in the English club's squad for its July exhibition matches in Hong Kong and Beijing, organisers said in a statement.

"I'm absolutely thrilled to be able to pull on the famous red shirt in my home country. It will be a proud moment to play in China as a Manchester United player," Dong was quoted as saying.

Manchester United signed the 20-year-old Dong in 2004, but then lent him to Belgian club Royal Antwerp.

"He has been progressing step by step since his arrival and at Royal Antwerp, he deserves the tour and we believe that he will perform well," Manchester United Director of Marketing Peter Draper said in the statement.

Manchester United will play Hong Kong in Hong Kong on July 23 before moving onto Beijing.

--------------------------------------------------

i was reading this at work and i felt pretty disgusted.

first let me say, i have not seen this chinese player play, so if he is that good, manchester united skill level (C.Ronaldo etc), then please tell me.

however, knowing chinese football, i find it hard to believe that Dong Fangzhuo is being played becuase his skill-level has reached that certain point.

i strongly believe that this is clear abuse of chinese players just to get ratings, stronger marketing and market share of asia. we already know asia is in a football craze, and we have a big market, which in turn equals big profit for manchester united - who is no stranger to strong aggressive marketing schemes.

what makes it worse, is that they got the manchester united MARKETING director to comment on this.

is this article actually backing up my point by macking a mockery of this?

surely to ask a skill level of a player, you ask the coach, trainer or manager. but asking the marketing director what the skill level of Dong Fangzhuo is? thats mockery.

:nono: to abuse of players of any nationality. this is treating them as a commodity, not a player.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have to say that I totally agree with you on this one. To me, I have always thought this way whenever an asian player goes to Europe. It's not that Man Utd needs him to improve the team. Its definitely about marketing. If the management staff know this player really well, then that's another matter. For example, Hiddink for PSV. He has coached South Korea NT, so he knows more about the 2 South Koreans who are signed, although I believe there's still something about marketing in it. Then again, some Asian players do deserve to play in Europe. Its just that the way and the intention of the players being transferred to Europe. I guess Asian players and marketing do go hand in hand, at least for now.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
There is a player, don't want to mention names(see avatar) who would killed it commercially and on the pitch for Man Utd if he went to your club a few years back.

Would of been bigger than Beckham in Asia, belive me.

The pimping of the ability would of been easy, the pimping of the image would of been even easier.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jianxing said:
I have to say that I totally agree with you on this one. To me, I have always thought this way whenever an asian player goes to Europe. It's not that Man Utd needs him to improve the team. Its definitely about marketing. If the management staff know this player really well, then that's another matter. For example, Hiddink for PSV. He has coached South Korea NT, so he knows more about the 2 South Koreans who are signed, although I believe there's still something about marketing in it. Then again, some Asian players do deserve to play in Europe. Its just that the way and the intention of the players being transferred to Europe. I guess Asian players and marketing do go hand in hand, at least for now.
those two south koreans are VERY good though, any big club would sign them i believe. they are seriously top notch. but korea's football, currently, is hell better then china's. i just find it very very veryhard to believe manu is playing a chinese player becuase his good.

dont worry, most clubs do that. even MY club did that. arsenal signed inhamoto, i believe it was for t shirt sales.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
China star set for United debut

first let me say, i have not seen this chinese player play, so if he is that good, manchester united skill level (C.Ronaldo etc), then please tell me.

however, knowing chinese football, i find it hard to believe that Dong Fangzhuo is being played becuase his skill-level has reached that certain point.
I'm an Antwerp-supporter and take it from me; the guy is completely useless. With the 5 million Man U spend on him, Antwerp could've an entire team. I ecmit Dong didn't come to our club under the most ideal circumstances. The team is doing poorly and neither Antwerp nor Man utd have botherd much giving him some extra attention concerning his integration into the european environment.

But from a guy that was rated as the biggest talent from China -and Asia- I expected a lot more from him. Even in 2de klasse he's one of our lesser players. Haven't noticed much of that so called progression he made this year so far. :googly:

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kampfschwein said:
I'm an Antwerp-supporter and take it from me; the guy is completely useless. With the 5 million Man U spend on him, Antwerp could've an entire team. I ecmit Dong didn't come to our club under the most ideal circumstances. The team is doing poorly and neither Antwerp nor Man utd have botherd much giving him some extra attention concerning his integration into the european environment.

But from a guy that was rated as the biggest talent from China -and Asia- I expected a lot more from him. Even in 2de klasse he's one of our lesser players. Haven't noticed much of that so called progression he made this year so far. :googly:

yeap, that sounsd more like it ;)

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Utd just got royally ripped off actually which serves them right for not bothering to send one of their scouts out for more than a coupla matches :D

Dong was never much good even in China, and his goals scored included friendlies :D

To be honest this isn't a great generation of Chinese talent, and one of the reasons is the lack of street or casual soccer at an young age, where academics are all-important for nearly all city-dwelling parents.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Politician said:
To be honest this isn't a great generation of Chinese talent, and one of the reasons is the lack of street or casual soccer at an young age, where academics are all-important for nearly all city-dwelling parents.
Sad to say that its going to get worst for the next 10 years at least, since studies is going to get more and more important as China is opening up especially to city areas, like Shanghai.. But China has a huge population, so I believe there are still talents.. As for the current China football team, none impresses me.. Not even the likes of Sun Jihai or Li Tie..

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Politician said:
Utd just got royally ripped off actually which serves them right for not bothering to send one of their scouts out for more than a coupla matches :D

Dong was never much good even in China, and his goals scored included friendlies :D

That's right, our scouting department is totally crap, headed by none other than Martin Ferguson :eek:

Alex you biased ****! :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
If it was another club other than Man Utd I wouldn't think anything of it. But we all know Man U is in the business of making money which means marketing, promotion, and branding in other parts of the world. It also seems fishy when they are playing this guy in games during an Asian tour.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I have stated my opinion at the time Man Utd. signed Dong and just I expected, they just bought it to sell his shirts. He didn't even play for United youth team at his first contract year and playing for Royal Antwerp instead. I never rated Dong Fangzhuo is a promising player and I'd say he won't be better player than Hao Haidong. There're a lot of players who are better than him in China. Like Swift said, I am always against the commercialization of Asian players. It is fine if the club play them, but I really hate if they signed Asian players just only to become cash-generated income machine from bench.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:
I have stated my opinion at the time Man Utd. signed Dong and just I expected, they just bought it to sell his shirts. He didn't even play for United youth team at his first contract year and playing for Royal Antwerp instead. I never rated Dong Fangzhuo is a promising player and I'd say he won't be better player than Hao Haidong. There're a lot of players who are better than him in China. Like Swift said, I am always against the commercialization of Asian players. It is fine if the club play them, but I really hate if they signed Asian players just only to become cash-generated income machine from bench.
He couldn't get a work permit in England, not Man Utd's fault.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Everyone is trying to get a piece of the Asian pie. More and more teams are choosing to play in Asia.. To get experience? My :ass: .. Disgusted by their actions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts