Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1120386,00.html

Chelsea have given a cash boost to Saturday's FA Cup opponents Scarborough by donating £25,000 to the North Yorkshire club.

Blues owner Roman Abramovich has handed over the money, which will finance the club's school of excellence for six months.

Seadogs chairman Malcolm Reynolds was over the moon to receive the cash from Abramovich.

"This is a tremendous shot in the arm for us - absolutely brilliant. I can only say thanks to Mr Abramovich," said Reynolds.

The pair face each other at The McCain Stadium in Saturday's early kick-off and the Conference outfit will get yet more much needed income from TV revenue and gate receipts.

Despite already receiving money from the tie, Chelsea interim chief executive Paul Smith confirmed his club were only too happy to give Scarborough a further boost.

"It is important to recognise our own responsibilities as a big club to try to help smaller clubs like Scarborough survive and flourish," he said.

"These clubs are at the heart of their communities and have an important role to play.

"We hope our contribution will help play a part in helping Scarborough discover their own stars for the future."

Chelsea, meanwhile, are on the lookout for new talent and have taken a young African striker into their youth set-up.

Ghanaians teenager Shaibu Yakubu will be trying his best to earn a dream move to Stamford bridge.

================

Roman's out to destroy football, eh UEFA chumpmans....I mean chairmen? :D

oh and the win's in the bag :D :tongue:

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
However small £25000 is, its the thought that counts, no?

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
If I was cynical I'd say he was trying to buy popularity. Nice gesture none-the-less, although I'm sure it'll anger those in Russia even more.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
£25,000 is an insult to Scarborough :yuck:
I wouldn't say no t £25,000 for Derby or Burton:)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
£25,000 is an insult to Scarborough :yuck:
I don't see Arsenal giving anything do I?... then close ya trap.

Well done Roman, nice of you... now Scarbrough can continue to bring kids through their youth system.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
JackoTheDon said:
I don't see Arsenal giving anything do I?... then close ya trap.
close your own trap :D

the Arsenal would never indulge in such a cheap,vulgar and downright tacky publicity stunt :tongue:

still that's the nouveau riché for ya :cool:

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
I have to say that for a non-leaue side that nearly went to the wall recently, ANY money they get will be welcome.
But 25K for RA is like a few pence to you or I. As a gesture for him, its a bit funny to only give 25K if you are going to do something like that, with the resources he has.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
polaris said:
Giving them too much would be unfair to other clubs.
i agree. i think he is more interested in his own popularity than football. surely ther will be more from him, but i dont think all his acts will do good for the game.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Publicity or not it's still a nice gesture is'nt it?Who cares how much money Abramovich has he's given the money and simply he did'nt have to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts