Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Goal.com

France defender Eric Abidal has launched a veiled attack against his club side, FC Barcelona, for their training methods, which he believes are costing him on the international stage...

The left-back was not one of France's leading lights against Romania in Les Bleus' first Euro 2008 test, something that the former Monaco man put down to his physical condition.

This in turn was attributed to his time this season with Barcelona, with Abidal explaining, "The club didn't work in the physical fashion to which one was accustomed to in France."

However, he said that he was on the road to peak fitness after reintegrating himself with the French way of doing things.

"I have prepared myself with Robert Duverne [the French fitness coach] and this has enabled me to reach my maximum," he added.

"I think I'm fine now, as are all my colleagues in the squad."

Still, he defended his side's somewhat carefree showing against the Tricolorii, stating that "running for running's sake is useless.

"My partnership with Florent Malouda? That's changed a lot in one year. He's experienced a different game with Chelsea, as I have in Barcelona.

"But that doesn't mean we've lost our connection. I'm never happy with my game. I know I can do more."
---------------------------------------------------------------

Do you agree with him? Are Barcelona training too little fitness?

I do. I think it has been apparent all season. Change in Ronaldinho especially was astonishing :eek: The club really should take note of this

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
Ekim, there's a reason why nonbarca supporters shouldn't open threads here. This was discussed for more than a year in this forum in many threads (you didn't know it though), these Abidal's words are some two weeks old (you didn't know it either as you posted it now) and there were many players who said what Abidal said (you didn't know it either). This goes way back, I remember Giuly said it when left to Roma. I remember Gudjohnsen said it already in autumn. But Ronaldinho haven't complained about the amount of physical work, that's true though.

So, your post looks like going to the RM forum and post a thread "Beckham left RM!". It's old news, already been discussed and no need to open such a thread. It would be more constructive to open a thread "are you folks aware that if you buy CR you are going to sell Robinho". That would be a constructive contribution to RM forum, because guys back there don't discuss this very probable option.

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
EDIT:

Naturally, we all expect that Guardiola changes it. That's one of the main reasons why majority here supported the idea of sacking Frank. From all the reports Pep is aware that this was one of the things that went wrong and one of the things he must change.

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
ANOTHER EDIT:

There's one thing though that poor old Barcoslav doesn't understand. And it's well known that poor old Barcoslav understands many things. All Abidals are professionals, been in that business for decades now, if they feel they are not enough physically fit or that they need extra training, there's nobody there to stop them TO DO THIS EXTRA WORK. Nobody, as far as I know! I don't immagine Frank yelling at Abidal. "Eric, move your stinking ass out of here! Who allowed you to stay in the gym, the session ended, GET OUT OF HERE NOW!"

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
lol

Abidal said he wasn't sure if he should play against United and asked Rijkaard to drop him.

Now he says the fitness staff didn't train properly.

Excuses, excuses... I'd like him to explain why he has a phobia of the half-way line.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
abidal should take a long look at himself.. the guy was awful going forward, he couldnt pass the ball right, what does that have to with the fitness, the guy is devoid of talent and everytime he leaves the pitch the left flank becomes energetic with sylvinho.

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
When you are as crap a player as Abidal is, it's just best to keep quiet and as Barcoslav says, there's nothing to stop these losers doing a bit of extrra training themselves.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
I dont mind Abidal, in his first few months he was a miracle in Iniesta words and while I wouldnt go that far he was very good. One of the biggest sufferers with our physical demise, definately.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Abidal bases his game on his physique and not his tehcnique unlike Xavi and Iniesta for example. This is why he is suffering the most from this.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
the guy is devoid of talent.
Abidal gets too much criticism for not being Cafu, and that is a bit silly. He's a superb defender who was brought to add stability to the backline, not to be a marauding wing-back in the mould of Sylvinho.

It's strange that for all the talk we have of our squad suffering from lack of variety, we still want another Sylvinho-like player, another Messi-like player (Hleb), another Xavi/Iniesta-like player (Moutinho)...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Abidal gets too much criticism for not being Cafu, and that is a bit silly. He's a superb defender who was brought to add stability to the backline, not to be a marauding wing-back in the mould of Sylvinho.

It's strange that for all the talk we have of our squad suffering from lack of variety, we still want another Sylvinho-like player, another Messi-like player (Hleb), another Xavi/Iniesta-like player (Moutinho)...
I couldn't have said it any better.

·
Registered
56,469 Posts
Abidal bases his game on his physique and not his tehcnique unlike Xavi and Iniesta for example. This is why he is suffering the most from this.
it's because you don't have seen him at his best. for what i remember of him in lyon he was technical. that's for he reached his place in the french squad.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts