·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A puzzling transfer but nonetheless..

===

Roma net Abel Xavier
Tuesday 1 February, 2005
Portuguese full-back Luis Abel Xavier has signed a five-month contract with Italian giants Roma.

The 32-year-old, who has been on trial with the Giallorossi, will net himself £140,000 and has the option of extending his stay for another year at the end of the season.

The right-back was without a team after he ended his stay with German outfit Hannover in July.

Xavier, who played for his country at Euro 2000, already has Serie A experience as he appeared for little Bari in the 1995-96 season.

He’s also enjoyed spells across Europe with Galatasaray, Liverpool, Everton, PSV Eindhoven, Oviedo, Benfica and Estrela Amadora.

Football Italia

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
the only advantage of this transfer is that it's cheap.. i really don't expect anything from Xavier he's old and expired.. and even when he was in his peak performance he wasn't that impressive.. just another regular medicore player.. except now u can add "old" to the list..

are our options really that limited ??

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
At least if it snows he won't seem like he stands out like dogs balls. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
If he is better than Sartor that is all that matters. It gives us another option in the right back position besides Panucci and Ferrari who shouldn't play there. I have never seen him play so I am in no position to comment. In all likelihood he will only play if there is an injury, I wouldn't even be suprised if he didn't make it to the bench for a while.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Hes just a good squad player. If playrs get injured he will come in. Apart from that he wont be used.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Zangari_Italia said:
It gives us another option in the right back position besides Panucci and Ferrari who shouldn't play there.
Ferrari I agree, but Panucci? Sure he is not the best yet that is his position Zangari and surprisingly, last game Panucci was good.
I think that we should play the same exact 433 formation of the second half with Messina, with Cassano and Mancini doing what they were doing and Totti and Montellas scoring goals.

I wanna see Abel play few times before giving any judgments. He was ok when I saw him for Portugal and other teams but you never know.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm looking forward to see Xavier play. He can be a good addition to Roma with his ball control and experiment and as said above, I also remember him being convincing in Euro'00. Especially he could help our young defence in confidence. The problem might be that he lacks recently played games. But anyway, as he wasn't expensive, I think it's a good move by Roma management.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts