Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More of the same from Juventus today.

Despite being favourites in their Champions League clash versus Arsenal, they failed miserably. Juventus lost 2-0 to the very young Arsenal side, despite having Patrick Vieira on theirside, and also couldn't handle the frustrations as two of their players got sent off late in the match.

This follows the extremely fortunate victory against Werder Bremen where Juventus should have been eliminated after a poor performance, but were gifted with a goalkeeping error in the final minutes.

Juventus also disappointed last year with a quarter-final loss to Liverpool, and the previous year with a Round of 16 loss to Deportivo (yes I am aware we lost to both those teams too). But the most interesting aspect is that Juventus dominate the Serie A like no other team can, yet when they come to Europe they are a shadow of themselves domestically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,521 Posts
The Shev said:
Juventus also disappointed last year with a quarter-final loss to Liverpool, and the previous year with a Round of 16 loss to Deportivo (yes I am aware we lost to both those teams too).
any chance of being eliminated again by Juve eliminators for the third successive time ? :tongue:
 

·
Cronios
Joined
·
553 Posts
A cup type of competition is a total diferent thing than a league type of competition,
the league type favours the defensive types teams,
thats why Juve have spectacular results there in both Serie A and CL (at the first stages)
when it gets cup-like Juve sux, its the way its made
and Crapello has 0% abilities of adaptation,
the team is calibrated for the long run using a constant pressure,
it canr raise to the occasions.

CL is made for spectacle and goals, not to proove the best team...
and this is smth that Juve cant deliver...
 

·
Second Place Winner February Photo Contest
Joined
·
2,631 Posts
the league type favours the defensive types teams,
Actually, this is not true. It's the cup system that favours the defensive teams - Liverpool and Greece had success by playing defend-for-your-life tactics. You can not win every the league by playing for 0-0 everytime. But you can win in the cup system. Juve is winning the league because of the refs, and because of they beat crap teams everytime, and Milan loses points to Ascoli or Chievo..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,061 Posts
I think the difference is more about this guy and his friends



vs

the gentleman on the right and his European friends


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,061 Posts
nEEbz said:
any chance of being eliminated again by Juve eliminators for the third successive time ? :tongue:
I hope you at least get a chance to fulfill this task, cause it would mean that both of us (and for me more important MILAN of course) reached the final in Paris ;)

Even though Juve aint finished yet, fear the mighty impact of the crowded Delle Alpi, Gunner, fear it.

And of course we are still very far from reaching Paris as well. Lyon will be incredibly tough :nervous:
 

·
Bobo
Joined
·
4,525 Posts
Psycho said:
I think the difference is more about this guy and his friends



vs

the gentleman on the right and his European friends


:thumbsup: it's all that i was thinking throughout the match.

the yellow per foul ratio was spot on,not to mention the reds :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,343 Posts
Capello's record in Europe with teams after Milan is very poor.

Can he adjust to the different styles or get them to raise their game like our cocks get raised when we see Eleonora Pedron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
The Shev said:
But the most interesting aspect is that Juventus dominate the Serie A like no other team can, yet when they come to Europe they are a shadow of themselves domestically.
This is where some would take the opportunity to point out that Juve may be able to cheat in Italy but not in Europe, :lala: but that is not the point I would make.

Juventus are extremely good at consistently beating teams that play with 10 men behind the ball. That skill is crucial to winning championships if you are the favourite. Juve are however not very good at winning against quality opposition (they are by no means bad, just not spectacularely good).

Juventus is more like a Fiat then a Ferrari, it values stamina and reliability more than flair and killer features. And it should be respected for it. The are unlikely to win any Formula one races (or CL trophies) with their Fiat, but they will outperform sportscars like Milan and Inter in the muddy and mundane race for the Scudetto more often than not.

Personally, I am not a Fiat guy. I like the flair and unpredictability of sports cars. Milan may crash more often, but that is a price I am willing to pay to win some real races. :devil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Tony Montana said:
Capello's record in Europe with teams after Milan is very poor.
Most non-Milan managers records in Europe are poor ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
This year more than ever,I feel that Serie A has a big divide betweeen the clubs at the top and those below.Below ROMA and the gulf in class in noteable,and this explains why so many new records are being achieved this year in Serie A,including ROMA's 11-in-a-row.Clubs like juve can achieve a victory without too much effort every other game in Serie A.Another point is that if juve played like that against Empoli does anybody believe they would actually have got so many bookings and 2 players sent off.Can anybody actually remember the last time they got 2 players sent off in Serie A.Incidentally,Camoranesi's second yellow should have been a straight red.It was a horrible tackle Click here for some memorable DVDs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
The difference between the top 3 and the rest is regretably notable. I greatly appreciate that Roma and Fiorentina have started to narrow that gap this year. A 5 team serie a battle is obviously more entertaining than a 3 (well 2) team one.
 

·
Scudetto
Joined
·
23,364 Posts
barracuda said:
This is where some would take the opportunity to point out that Juve may be able to cheat in Italy but not in Europe, :lala: but that is not the point I would make.

Juventus are extremely good at consistently beating teams that play with 10 men behind the ball. That skill is crucial to winning championships if you are the favourite. Juve are however not very good at winning against quality opposition (they are by no means bad, just not spectacularely good).

Juventus is more like a Fiat then a Ferrari, it values stamina and reliability more than flair and killer features. And it should be respected for it. The are unlikely to win any Formula one races (or CL trophies) with their Fiat, but they will outperform sportscars like Milan and Inter in the muddy and mundane race for the Scudetto more often than not.

Personally, I am not a Fiat guy. I like the flair and unpredictability of sports cars. Milan may crash more often, but that is a price I am willing to pay to win some real races. :devil:
That was a really well written post. All the cars and stuff.. :D

Nice :thumbsup:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top