Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carlos Alberto Parreira, world champion in 94, could be the new Atlético Mineiro´s coach. Parreira would be Márcio Araújo´s substitute, who left the team in this week.

Forwardv Oséas, from Cruzeiro, is the most important scorer in Brazilian Cup. The player scored 10 goals in this competition, overcoming Gérson, who scored nine in 92 for Internacional and Paulo Nunes, who scored the same number in 97, playing for Grêmio.

Cruzeiro waits for thousand fans that will go to Mineirão, in this Sunday, could help the team to win Brazilian Cup title, against São Paulo. Just 5 thousand tickets has been sold for the São Paulo´s fans.

In ten days time Ronaldo will go to Paris again for a check-up with his surgeon Saillant.

Swiss sports marketing group, ISL are to become Gremio's new sponsors fro 33 million dollars.

Former PSG player-coach Ricardo Gomez, has taken over from Arturzinho as coach of Vitorio.

Portuguesa's Brazilian attacker Leandro will take over from Jardel in the Porto attack.

Brazilian midfielder Doriva was presented yesterday as new player of Celta de Vigo. Doriva has left italian club Sampdoria and has agreed a 4 years contract with Celta.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Brazil's former under-21 international midfielder Adriano sign a two-year contract with Olympique Marseille on Tuesday, the French first division soccer club said on Sunday.

Adriano, 22, who has been playing for Atletica Parana this
season, is in Brazil's squad for the Sydney Olympics.
Olympique Marseille, who hired Brazilian coach Abel Braga
last month, are also trying to sign striker Oseas
from Cruzeiro but have not yet agreed a fee, the club said.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nike, that is Flamengo´s sponsor since a few weeks, could help in Ronaldo´s return to brazilian football. Though Inter management says that doesn´t receive any offer from the Rio de Janeiro´s team, the player´s managers guarantee
that the transfer is possible.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from c.m.:The defender Gilberto, who has been borrowed from
Inter to Vasco, is not satisfied by the Rio de
Janeiro's team supporters. 'I can't lose a ball that
everybody begins to protest against me. People say
that we don't have to pay attention of what the fans
say, but it's not true. I prefer to play away home
because my performance is better, there isn't anyone
telling me bad things'.

Atletico Mineiro, team that doesn't have a coach since
last week, waits for na answer from Carlos Alberto
Parreira on this Tuesday. If the 94 world champion
coach won't accept the offer, Atletico would contract
Marco Aurelio, fired by Cruzeiro on Sunday.

Cruzeiro decided to get off the defender Ze Maria's
contract. The Parma's player was in the Belo Horizonte
team since January.

Flamengo's president, Edmundo Santos Silva, arrives on
this Tuesday in Spain to negociate the acquisition of
the midfielder Djalminha, from La Coruna.

The judge Rubem Martinez ordered, on this Monday,
Gama's participation in Joao Havelange Cup, that will
begin in the end of July. If 'Club of 13',
association with the most important clubs from Brazil,
won't respect the decision, will be fined in L 800
thousand per day. Gama was suspended by Fifa for an
indeterminate time because the club has asked to the
ordinary Justice to stay in the first division.

The Flamengo defender Athirson can't play for the
next two weeks. In the next days, he'll submited to a
surgery to remove a menbrane from his left eye retina.

With some problems in his right knee, the forward
Ronaldinho Gaucho could be out of the next games that
the brazilian national team will make, in July 19
against Paraguay and July 26 against Argentina. The
national team doctors will wait until Wednesday before
deciding if Ronaldinho will go away.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who takes a thing like a passport seriously. Edu.. ? No, not if you are a laid back brazilian... :)

Edu refused entry to Britain

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has been left stunned after his new Brazilian import Edu was booted out of the UK after he was understood to have been found with a forged passport.

According to The Sun newspaper, immigration officials stopped the player at Heathrow as he flew in for pre-season training.

Edu's best pal Silvinho was waved through the entry gate but Edu was barred entry.

And the newspaper quotes a Home Office spokesman as saying: "We can confirm that a Brazilian national was refused entry to the UK when he was found in possession of a counterfeit passport."

No criminal charges will be brought against the player Eduardo Cesar Daud Gaspar - who signed from Brazilian champions Corinthians just nine days ago.

But he has been instantly deported. Before leaving, he commented: "I don't really know what happened. I was told I didn't need a visa.

"I'm going back to Brazil to sort the problem out and hope to return in about a week."

Hugh Southon

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aquila, Rennes, described here as giants from France, are even more gianty now:

PARIS, July 12 (Reuters)(DS) - Rennes on Wednesday reached
agreement on a 40 million franc ($5.75 million) deal to sign unsettled Brazilian international central defender Cesar from French first division rivals Paris St Germain.
Cesar was to sign a four-year deal with Rennes late
Wednesday and will link up with fellow Brazilians Fabiano and Vander -- both off-season signings from the Ponte Preta club in Brazil.

Cesar failed to gain a regular first team spot with PSG and
started in only 10 matches.

"Cesar wasn't able to make a big impact at PSG but he will
be looking to prove a point with us. He wants to show his true worth," Rennes vice-president Hubert Guidal told the
Ouest-France newspaper.

Cesar will replace David Sommeil, who has joined Bordeaux,
in the Rennes backline.

Rennes' other off-season recruits as they bid to rebuild
after a season in wich they avoided relegation by just one
point include Philippe Delaye from relegated Montpellier and
Olivier Echouafni from Strasbourg.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm shocked :mad:

Leverkusen close to selling Emerson to Roma

BERLIN, July 12 (Reuters)(DS) - The long-running saga of Brazil midfielder Emerson's efforts to move from Bayer Leverkusen to AS Roma looked to be near its end when Leverkusen manager Reiner Calmund said on Wednesday the clubs were close to a deal.

"We have nearly reached agreement with AS Roma. I do not
expect Emerson to play for us again," Calmund said in an
interview with the Koelner Express newspaper.

Calmund said the offer price was not the 50 million marks
(24 million dollars) they had originally sought but that an
acceptable compromise had been reached.

The German club have said since February that Emerson was
likely to move to Italy next season, but maintained that Roma's offer was unacceptable.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now also the younger one of the greatest brothers in football ever, retires

Former Brazil international Rai to retire

RIO DE JANEIRO, July 12 (Reuters)(DS) - Former Brazil
international Rai, who followed in the footsteps of his older brother Socrates by captaining his country, is to retire this month.

Rai, a grandfather at the age of 35, announced after
training with his club Sao Paulo on Tuesday evening that he
would end his career following a forthcoming tournament in the north-east of Brazil.

One of Brazil's most elegant players, Rai has won a hatful
of titles with Sao Paulo, including two Libertadores Cups, one World Club Championship, one Brazilian championship and five Paulista championships.

Rai returned to Sao Paulo two years ago after a six-year
spell in France with Paris St Germain, though shortly afterwards he suffered a serious knee injury in a match with Cruzeiro.

"I have to find other challenges, other personal and
professional projects," said Rai. "I think this is the right
moment."

Club officials said a friendly match would be played in
Rai's honour, possibly against Paris St Germain.

The player won 48 full caps, scoring 16 goals for Brazil,
though his only World Cup in 1994 was a disappointment.
He had trouble adapting to the team's tactics and, after
starting as captain, watched the final, in wich Brazil beat
Italy on penalties, from the substitutes' bench.

Rai's last international was a friendly against Argentina
two years ago.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Former Brazil coach Parreira joins Atletico Mineiro

RIO DE JANEIRO, July 11 (Reuters)(DS) - Former Brazil coach
Carlos Alberto Parreira has taken over at Atletico Mineiro, one of the country's best supported teams, club director Sergio Coelho said on Tuesday.

It is Parreira's first coaching job since he was sacked by
Rio de Janeiro club Fluminense in February, despite winning them promotion from the third to the second division of the Brazilian championship only two months before.

Parreira, who led his country to World Cup victory in 1994,
takes over from Marcio Araujo, who resigned last week. He
becomes Atletico's sixth coach in the last 18 months.

Confusion surrounded the new coach at Atletico's arch rivals
Cruzeiro, who won the Copa Brasil on Sunday by beating Sao
Paulo.

President Zeze Perella had announced shortly before the
match that former Palmeiras coach Luiz Felipe Scolari would
take over this week, forcing coach Marco Aurelio out of his job despite winning a major trophy.

But on Tuesday, Scolari's representative said negotiations
were still under way and claimed Perella had "jumped the gun."

Ousted Marco Aurelio followed in the footsteps of Flamengo
coach Carlinhos, who was dismissed last December to make way for Paulo Cesar Carpegianni despite winning the Copa Mercosur.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
OK, Al, I feel I must break your solo feat, so here's a news.

After so many years, wolves are back to France! A few wolves coming from Italy have crossed the Alps and settled down in France, and initially this fact was welcomed by the French with great happyness and the wolves were labelled as "One of the few good things coming from Italy" (have they forgot Michel Platini?). Much happier were the wolves theirselves that found a lot of food in the unguarded sheeps. A several attacks to the sheeps by wolves were signalled by the French sheepherds because they haven't got any sheepdog as there was no wolf around.

So, the French autorities have started a campaign against the behatred Italian wolves, and a lot of them will be killed to safeguard the French sheeps. This slaughter, of course, has upset the local ecologists who claimed that people in France must be content that the wolves are back to France EVEN THOUGH they have come from Italy and that the French sheepherds must follow the example of their Italian colleagues, get a sheepdog, that is.

Meanwhile, other wolves are going from Italy to France, perhaps the rumours of the French unguarded sheeps has rapidly spread amongst the Boot's wolves.

Note Al, the wolves need no passport to cross the Alps, nor they can't be signed by French giants Rennes.
And by the way, have you sung Paul Simon's "You can call me Al", recently?

SESF

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...not since Little Al and myself stopped to race Indy cars, Aquila.

Plus time is so tight as I have thousands and thousands of relatives. Their favourite thing to do is to gather in church on sundays. Strangely enough, like Little Al and myself, they all have the same first name: Vater Unser.
In former time they had foreign names, but again the very same one: Pater Noster, well....

What about our sheep, as the wolves are coming to Styria, respectively Kapfenberg, again, to do whatever they do there. I heard from Konsel it was his initiative when he was a wolve keeper, because Tunti just can't go to gay clubs in Italy just like that anymore. So Konsel suggested Kapfenberg, that's what he told in international news on CNN anyway.

The wise eagles however, fly to Schruns/Vorarlberg. Here they will stay for a while before directing their majestic wings to Sweden again. Fantastic birds, these eagles.

CESC
CESF

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Of course the golden Eagle is flying via Brixton! :)

As for the Wolves, well Italia is a better place without them, especially the strange rare breed known as Tunti!

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Arsenal have been told by Corinthians that Edu is
officially an Arsenal player and it would be
virtually impossible for him to rejoin the
Brazilians. Edu was refused entry into England on
Tuesday because of a counterfeit passport, and
has returned to Brazil to rectify the situation.
Edu's former club, Corinthians have told the
Gunners that any chance of him returning to them
would be complicated as he is officially not
their player any more. Corinthians chief
executive Jefferson Yassuda said: 'It's not just
a simple case of us handing the money back, we
would have to renegotiate and buy him back. The
other option would be for us to take him on loan.
It's easier for him to resolve his problems in
England than come back to us'.

- Celta Vigo said on Thursday they had reached agreement with Brazilian midfielder Mazinho to end his contract at the club. "We would like to thank Mazinho for his role as one of the main architects of the recent success of Celta Vigo," the Spanish first division side said in a statement on Thursday. The 34-year-old has suffered recurring knee problems following an injury in May 1999. He managed to play only six league matches last season -- all but one as a substitute. Mazinho made 185 appearances for Valencia and Celta during his six seasons in the Spanish league where he was renowned for his pin-point passing.
He had previously played for Vasco da Gama and Palmeiras in
Brazil, and for Fiorentina in Italy.
Capped 47 times for the Brazil, he was a member of the squad that won the 1994 World Cup in the United States.
The future of the footballer is still uncertain, but his
persistent injury problems could make it difficult for him to continue his career at the top level.

The São Paulo´s coach, Levir Culpi, doesn´t want to hear about the team´s fans. He was hit by three guys, on Tuesday evening, before São Paulo´s flight to Maceió, where they play their first match in Champions Cup. ‘I lived a bad moment and I feel ashamed of it all’.

Portuguesa, team from São Paulo, wants to buy the forward Caio (ex Inter e Napoli), that plays for Santos. The player suffered an operation in the nose but is fine.

Luis Felipe Scolari was presented on this Thursday as the new Cruzeiro´s coach. Scolari, who left Palmeiras a few weeks ago, should stay in the Belo Horizonte´s team for two years and a half.

Grêmio will buy, in the next days, the forward Evair, who was fired by São Paulo last Monday. The club´s president, José Alberto Guerreiro, said they are also interesting in the acquisition of the midfielder Rogério, from Palmeiras.

Brazilian midfielder Adriano signed a four-year deal with Olympique Marseille on Thursday, the French first division club announced. Marseille officials said Adriano, whose full name is Carlos Adriano de Souza Vieira, had cost about 25 million French francs (3.57 million dollars) from Brazil's Atletico Paranaense. The 22-year-old signed after a medical and will now join his team mates at their pre-season training camp in the mountain resort of Albertville.
The former under-21 international is expected to miss up to
six weeks of the French league season because he is a member of Brazil's squad for the Olympic Games in Sydney.
Adriano is seen as a key player by compatriot Abel Braga -
Marseille's new coach.
Adriano, initially expected to sign only a two-year deal,
will be the ninth Brazilian to have played for Marseille.

There was a distinctively Brazilian aroma to Shimizu S-Pulse´s romping 4-0 away-leg win over Vissel Kobe in the Nabisco Cup on Wednesday. Brazilian Santos and Fabinho scored a goal each in the first half, adding to a Vissel own goal to put Shimizu firmly in the driving seat by half-time. Santos made it a memorable occasion for the South Americans when he netted his second and Shimizu´s fourth midway through the second half.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Alexx you are a one man information centre!

Also read that Corinthians are denying any trouble with Edu's passport! The British press are overloading on Brazilian football at the moment!

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
natalya,
waht are they saying??
is it all the crap and cporruption that it is.
I think now it has never been so appaling the corruption in brazilian football with this new "league".!:(

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Erm Ze, the overload would be Edu!!! I've never even seen Corinthians mentioned in the press before! The only time I've heard of corruption in the Brazilian league would be in an issue of Heroes and Villans (Villa fanzine) where some Villa fan had been living in Brazil for years, and he was talking about the little club that the Brazilian FA tried to relegate so that the big club (beginning with Bo?) could stay up! He wasn't a fan of Brazilian football, so not many nice things were said! Corinthians were mentioned twice! As champions though :)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
16/07 - Cruzeiro look forward to "Scolari Era"
Luiz Felipe Scolari, former coach at Palmeiras, is set to take over at Cruzeiro today, and fans and bosses alike are looking forward to him bringing his winning style. First up will be the planned conquest of the Copa Libertadores 2001, to which Cruzeiro have qualified thanks to their winning the Copa do Brasil this year.

This is not to say that Scolari will neglect this year's Copa João Havelange or Copa Mercosul. "Whatever the championship, we enter to win", he stated. Scolari's first priority is to decide which players he wishes to retain in the team, and which purchases he wishes to make. Strikers Euller and Edílson are at the top of the shopping list, while defender Rogério, of Palmeiras, is also expected to be approved. The club are still waiting for the sale of striker Oséas to French side Olympique Marseilles to be completed, bringing in US$5 million.

16/07 - Sanpa criticise Champions Cup
Despite qualifying for the semi-finals of the Champions Cup, São Paulo coach Levir Culpi is claiming that his team is at a disadvantage due to the travelling involved. On Saturday (15/07) both São Paulo and Flamengo played in João Pessoa. For the semi-final games, however, Fla get to stay there whilst Sanpa have to travel to Maceió to face Sport.

Culpi is unhappy about this travelling. "The truth is that Flamengo is being favoured. They're not going to pass through the same fatigue of travelling from one place to another various times in sequence", he said. In the semi-final second leg game, Sanpa will once again have to travel to João Pessoa, while Fla and Palmeiras travel to Maceió - where the final will be held. "The winner of that game will have the advantage of not needing to travel to the final, which will be there. In our case, we have to fatigue ourselves one more time", complained Culpi.

16/07 - Santos impose buying freeze
With the current uncertainty about whether or not there will be any football in the second half of this year, Santos have decided they will not invest in any more players until the situation is cleared up. They have already bought midfielder Renatinho and goalkeeper Pitarelli, but will not pursue their interest in striker Viola or defender Emerson.

Their proposed swap of full-back Michel with his counterpart in Atlético-MG, Mancini, is also off - Mancini picked up an injury and the deal fell through. Michel could still be on his way out, however - new Vasco boss Oswaldo de Oliveira has shown an interest.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alberto Dualib, president of Corinthians, confirmed today that they have sold striker Edílson to Vasco for US$6 million plus the exchange of an as-yet unnamed Vasco player. According to Dualib, the sale to Vasco was made because interest from other clubs - including Arsenal, La coruña and Flamengo - was too speculative, and the first concrete offer was from Vasco. Dualib claimed that the player was also sold to Vasco for "ethical" reasons; "We are ethical. They were the first to present an official proposal. We are ethical and we're not making an auction for a player", he said. This claim sounds a little far-fetched, as Vasco's initial offer of US$3.5 million was refused after Flamengo put in a rival bid. As recently as last weekend, the club claimed that any deal would involve only money - before this latest offer was made. And Flamengo still claim they have the word of the player and his agent that he will play for them. "Corinthians and Vasco can negotiate, but Edílson will not sign", claimed Walter Oaquim, of Flamengo.

The striker has been left out of the Corinthians team since new coach Osvaldo Alvarez took charge, and swore he would never play for the club again after being attacked by fans. He is the fourth player to leave the club Daniel, Edu and Dida have all moved on to other clubs, and Corinthians have yet to buy reinforcements.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The latest round in the Gama vs Clube dos 13 case has seen yet another victory by Gama. A judge ruled, once again, that the club is entitled to play in the top division of any national league or cup this year, regardless of who organises it or what it's called. The Clube dos 13 have responded by scrapping the Copa João Havelange and stating they will not organise any other tournament this year - raising the spectre of no football for the rest of 2000.

It is now up to the CBF to organise a major tournament before the end of this month - if not, up to 30,000 jobs may be lost throughout the football world. The only other option is to bring the regional championships forward, but many of these are still in progress and they don't hold the glamour of a major tournament. Brazilian football is in the biggest crisis of it's history - and it's all because one small club fought for it's rights against greed and corruption.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sanpa to keep star players

Only a few weeks ago it appeared that São Paulo were resigned to losing some of their biggest stars, but today the club seem satisfied that both will stay. Defender Edmílson and striker França were both subjects of big-money offers from abroad - the former to Arsenal, of England, and the latter to Fiorentina Italy - but the club have decided not to sell either. In the case of Edmílson, Sanpa decided that he was worth more than the original fee offered after the player received a call-up to the national squad. And Fiorentina dropped out of the França deal after instead buying Leandro from Portuguesa.

Both deals are far from dead, however. Arsenal are expected to raise their offer to US$10 million, as the club are in dire need of a new defender - the Edu saga, however, may put that deal on hold for a while (Edu, of Corinthians, was purchased by Arsenal but refused entry to England after he was found to have a fake passport). França's agent has also stated that although the player is not actively seeking a move to Europe, they are open to offers.

Uéslei moves to Japan

Bahia striker Uéslei has signed a deal with Japanese club Nagoya Grampus that will see him co-owned by the Japanese side along with current club Bahia. He will spend this season in Japan, where he will meet up with Brazilian trainer João Carlos, who worked with Flamengo in 1992 and 93, and other Brazilian players.

Uéslei, who has scored 27 goals for Bahia this year, said "The fact that the technical commission is formed by Brazilians will help a lot. Apart from this they have two Brazilian players and Stoikovic, who is a great player". The deal was made for US$2.3 million.

Cruzeiro look forward to "Scolari Era"

Luiz Felipe Scolari, former coach at Palmeiras, is set to take over at Cruzeiro today, and fans and bosses alike are looking forward to him bringing his winning style. First up will be the planned conquest of the Copa Libertadores 2001, to which Cruzeiro have qualified thanks to their winning the Copa do Brasil this year.

This is not to say that Scolari will neglect this year's Copa João Havelange or Copa Mercosul. "Whatever the championship, we enter to win", he stated. Scolari's first priority is to decide which players he wishes to retain in the team, and which purchases he wishes to make. Strikers Euller and Edílson are at the top of the shopping list, while defender Rogério, of Palmeiras, is also expected to be approved. The club are still waiting for the sale of striker Oséas to French side Olympique Marseilles to be completed, bringing in US$5 million.

Sanpa criticise Champions Cup

Despite qualifying for the semi-finals of the Champions Cup, São Paulo coach Levir Culpi is claiming that his team is at a disadvantage due to the travelling involved. On Saturday (15/07) both São Paulo and Flamengo played in João Pessoa. For the semi-final games, however, Fla get to stay there whilst Sanpa have to travel to Maceió to face Sport.

Culpi is unhappy about this travelling. "The truth is that Flamengo is being favoured. They're not going to pass through the same fatigue of travelling from one place to another various times in sequence", he said. In the semi-final second leg game, Sanpa will once again have to travel to João Pessoa, while Fla and Palmeiras travel to Maceió - where the final will be held. "The winner of that game will have the advantage of not needing to travel to the final, which will be there. In our case, we have to fatigue ourselves one more time", complained Culpi.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts