Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

I just read the article and watched the video clip of the NT return at Malpensa on www.gazzetta.it. I must say it made me sick! Instead of jeering and whistling, it sounded like a Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears concert!! Cheers. screams. Clapping. For what?! For being the highest paid embarrassment in NT history?

How dense are these people? 3,000 went to the airport to give them a warm welcome! Why? Either they forget easily and not remember the horrible performance or they are just stupid in general.

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just curious why the celebrating? They should have been wearing paper bags over their heads!:confused:

Anyone have a clue?:confused:

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
I can't figure it out either. :dazed:

For a moment I thought that maybe the fans realized that the ones to blame are not the players but the referees who denied Italy victory by disallowing all those goals! :mad:

But then I came to my senses and concluded that those people at the aiport must be 'really weird'. :groan:

·
Registered
35 Posts
They played bad but they did get screwed. Even by playing that badly they should have won their group and faced the USA instead of Korea. The Korea game was a disaster because of the annulled goal and the phantom red card but the Azzurri did have other chances in regular time to take control of the game and didn't :(

They will fight back in the next tournament and make us all proud!! :cool: ;)

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
that's probably the worst attitude I've ever heard. Croatia had a really crap tournament, but I wouldn't dream of booing or jeering my team.

Winning or losing, I am still a fan of my team and will be one forever.

You people don't deserve to celebrate Italy's victories if you're not willing to support them in defeat. That's a loser's attitude if ever I saw one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ero,

No offense, but we are no talking about Croatia. Italy is a country that has won 3 world cups, and were in the finals many times, have one of the toughest leagues (probably the toughest) in the world, and have some of the highest paid and well known players in the world. Those facts naturally raises the performance and expectations to a higher standard than other countries. This is not a third world country or a team that does not have a professional league with no pro players. They are a soccer superpower. If they don't put out a very good performance with what they have access to, then something is very wrong and we don't care to support this problem.

It was the combination of one man's warped personal vision and tactics, his teacher's pets, and pesonsal grudges that misguided his players, and many of his players should not have even been on the NT! Instead he chose to keep many key ones at home! Then, you have the overall performance of the team! What performance? That wasn't the starstudded, multi-millionaire, Italy we all know. So, please! What's there to support? A misguided bunch of primadonnas who care more about fashion than playing let by a complete idiot? if you wish to support that, fine. We fans don't care to. It's not a question of winning or losing, it's a question of how one wins or loses. We expected better that's why as fans, we are embarrassed.

I, as I'm sure other who feel the same as I do, supported them in defeat in '74, '78, '86, '90, '94, '98, and Euro 2000. Those were different teams with different coaches, players, and federation officials. So, quit the "loser's attitude" deal. It's not gonna fly here. I haven't once cried or complained about referees taking goals away because that's the way soccer is sometimes. Crying is a loser's attitude. Disagreeing is not. Teams have to play 100% for 90 minutes. They never did and hopefully a hard lesson may have been learned. Hopefully, I have made things clear. Thank you.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Ero is a blind fan. Just like some of them in the sub-continent, praying to the ministers and regard them as Gods.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Ero is a fan of his team, and thats the way he see's things.;)

And nobody ovehere can teach anybody else what being a fan means. It is completly personal issue. :)

On the topic: For the majority of Italian PPL they are out because of the unjust treatment by the referees. Italian boys are the victims, rather than villans. That's why friendly welcome.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Italia,

It's ok. Stay frosty. I guess Ero doesn't grasp the concept of Italy's performance was like the equivilent of having a son who's a Harvard graduate that works a as a janitor. Would you expect better? Naturally...

It's a shame about Montella. I'm a big fan of his and was hoping to see him play. Who'd have thought while losing, to take out attackers instead of putting them in?:confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aca,

Yes. The refs did take away goals, but you can't blame everything on the refs. I blame more on Trap and the players than refs. Italy should never have put themselves in that situation where they play around for a half hour, get a goal, then sit and stop attacking. After all, the refs didn't score Croatia's or Korea's goals. The players focused, attacked, scored, and won. That's it.

There is no dishonor in losing if a team played well. Fans, of Ireland and USA for example, can be proud of their teams. They played hard until it was over. I am proud of the USA for the team, coach and performance. They made us proud. That is a team to cheer for at the airport!

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Italy is famous for not playing well as a team, and still winning the games. I did not expect them to do otherwise this time.

The point of the game is to outscore the opponent. Italy did exactly that;) and the goals were taken away. why Italy has to score another two, three goals every game, just to make sure?

I'm not Italian;), but from my perspective, they deserved better, no matter how "bad" they played. There is no dishonour if you do score, and the goal is annuled.

They are not hero's, but they are definitivly not villans;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aca,

You're right. The players aren't villians but are definately not heros. However, the coaching staff and those responsible for the team's leadership are definately villians. That is why they didn't deserve a hero's welcome. 3,000 cheering fans to me is a hero's welcome. What do they have to be so proud about? That they managed to get as far as Korea? Wow! What accomplishment.:)

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
Italians (from Italy, not New Jersey oriundi) understand soccer, they know the worth of their team and of their coach, they understand the team was robbed, and they still, unlike Americans, know what outrage and indignation. That indignation is rightly directed not at the team, but at the officials who systematically denied Italy its victories on the pitch, and victories they were, for the whole world to see except for you...

You guys are nothing but a bunch of second-guessing scapegoaters...

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
How about non italians who like soccer and who are in favor of italy for many years?
Was Italy robbed? yes. Does it justify the very mediocre and sometimes literaly bad (and i'm saddened by it) way it played? No..... and so, the cheering is not entirely unjustified. It is justified always, of course, loving your team whatever happens is honorable, but there should be criticizm too and especially on the coach. What? Everybody forgot the main reason for the failure? the absence of Baggio that was so important before, now after the proven failure without him, I don't hear anyone mentioning him. That's what weird.... and wrong.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fangul,

First off, if you are referring to me, I am Italian. I live in New Jersey and also have a home in Italy. I have a father who had played soccer professionally in Italy, and was apart of security and translation team (that means English into Italian and vice versa) for the NT back here in '94. Yes, we did receive some interesting gifts like for example, a medal from Luigi Riva (whom I was named after) and Zola's (that's Gianfranco Zola) jersey.

I was raised not only learning the rules of the sport (you think I know nothing about) but also taught to play hard, never give up, and stop ONLY when the game is over. I was also taught that referees make mistakes and there is nothing you can do except to keep playing, not cry "I was robbed! I was robbed!" so don't rehash that stuff here. This wasn't the first time legal goals were disallowed and not the last time. If they kept their heads, had the players on the field and played, they would have won, but they didn't. End of story.

...and what about the deal with taking guys out like Del Piero for Di Livio? Where the logic in that? Face it. It was a total disaster.

You, on the other hand, sound like a scapegoater blaming it all on the refs. Give me a break. If you think it was all the ref's fault and that Italy played like the highpaid talent that they are, then you don't know as much about soccer as you think you do. Maybe should think about looking into another sport.

Ciao! :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
If I could have made it to Roma to see the NT I would have thrown tomatoes and whistled wildly, and said "get to back to work you ****ing bums, what an embarassment!"

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Azzurri,

Grazie, my fellow Reggino, for expressing your well valued thoughts!

How is the weather in Reggio?

Forza Reggina, Crotone, e Catanzaro!:)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Prego, Lou it is very sunny here, the weather is very dry and temperature is around 90 degrees Farenheight. There is a very beautiful sea breeze that really cools things down.

Ciao,
Iasono

'FORZA REGGINA'

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
Thank YOU Lou....
you're real lucky.

Forza Juve and Italia indeed!!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm not Italian but have been suporting the Azzurri for many years...

I watch the warm welcome by the Azzurri's fans on news and like most of you it made me sick!For once in my lifetime I'm embarrass to be an Azzurri fan!People must be laughing at us for what we did...1st we blame the refs and then we cheered the team who perform horribly at the World Cup!!Everyone's callling us sore losers right now :(

The media in Italy kept blaming the refs for the exit of the Azzurri so most fans are blinded by that,they don't blame the Azzurri and regard them as heroes,thus the warm welcome.To me the players are not heroes but they're not the villians too.

and gba,everyone know we'll still be in the tournament if Baggio is included in the team ;):D hehehe.....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts