Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who was the best goalkeeper in the history of Barcelona?
I have a very short sight for Barca, onlyfor the last aprox 10 years, and I think that only Subisareta, Valdes, and maybe Jorquera played(or are playing) very good at Barca, but our history is 10 times longer:)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
zeifod2 said:
Who was the best goalkeeper in the history of Barcelona?
I have a very short sight for Barca, onlyfor the last aprox 10 years, and I think that only Subisareta, Valdes, and maybe Jorquera played(or are playing) very good at Barca, but our history is 10 times longer:)
Along with Zubizarreta (who I didn't rate that much) the most famous goalkeeper Barcelona has ever had is Zamora who played in the twenties and was considered one of the best at the time. Ramallets was said to be a great keeper two, but he was famous for the wrong thing when he blundered a couple of times in the European Cup final against Benfica in 1960, the first the club played. Other good keepers that I have seen are Urruti, who saved a penalty that gave us the Leagle title after 10 years with Venables as a coach and almost won us the European Cup after saving 5 penalties in semifinals and the final (we missed all our penalties in the final). Sadurni was said to be good. Reina, father of Villareal goalkeeper and former Barca keeper too.

It is difficult to tell who has been the best but the worst must be a close call between Busquets (the goalkeeper without hands as he was known) and Dutruel, who made wonderful gimnastics once the ball had hit already the back of the net.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
Tough call since I haven't throughout our history. Based on what I've read though I would have to say Zamora.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barca Rule said:
We had a great goalkeeper called Bonano. So great, in fact, that we couldn't hold onto him.

Do you really think that Bonano is better than Valdes?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barca Rule said:
Remind me to explain the concept of sarcasm to you some time.
Excuse me, I still can't catch it in English:)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
zeifod2 said:
Excuse me, I still can't catch it in English:)
He was just being sarcastic (joking) that Bonano was good at Barcelona, what he really means that Bonano was a very bad goalkeeper.

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
Falastini said:
He was just being sarcastic (joking) that Bonano was good at Barcelona, what he really means that Bonano was a very bad goalkeeper.
bad would be far good for all the blunders that bonano has done at barca imagine buffon or toldo could have been our goalies at the moment, but no we decided to go with bonano as being on a free transfer!

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Zamora was very famous... but he also played in Espanyol and Real Madrid. My grandfather always told me that Ramallets is the best one that he had watched. Angel did a good review.

BTW, Angel... you forgot Baia in your list of bad goalies. I hated him with anger. :fero:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Rustu :rollani:

Seriously, if somebody has made a 5 part movie series of blunders by Rustu, then I was very worried when he was signed :D

I'm not that old so I can't say, I only know that we have had many crap keepers in the last few years. But when I talk to old fans, most say Ramallets, so I guess him, but middle-aged fans say Zubi.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
FC Barcelona9 said:
bad would be far good for all the blunders that bonano has done at barca imagine buffon or toldo could have been our goalies at the moment, but no we decided to go with bonano as being on a free transfer!
I didn't say bad, i said very bad... ;)

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Zamora was very famous... but he also played in Espanyol and Real Madrid. My grandfather always told me that Ramallets is the best one that he had watched. Angel did a good review.

BTW, Angel... you forgot Baia in your list of bad goalies. I hated him with anger. :fero:
It would have been interesting had Zamora played with us for his entire career. Didn't he play even better for Real Madrid than he did with us?

One thing about Baia, he has had some success since he left us. Not saying that it means we should still have him.

·
40,147 Posts
AZULGRANA said:
It would have been interesting had Zamora played with us for his entire career. Didn't he play even better for Real Madrid than he did with us?

One thing about Baia, he has had some success since he left us. Not saying that it means we should still have him.
Actually, he didn't play that much in Barcelona, only 4 seasons. He was born in Barcelona and his first team was Espanyol (1916-1918). He played his debut with 16 years old with the Pericos. He had some problems with the directors of Espanyol and he decided to join the biggest rival, Barça. He played for us from 1918 to 1922. He won 2 Copas with us, recall that the first Liga was played in 1929, so the Copa was the most important tournament at that time. He went back to Espanyol, where he played until 1930, where he won another Copa in 1929. Then he signed for Real Madrid where he played until he retired in 1936, when the Civil War started. In Madrid he won 2 Ligas (1932, 1933) and 2 Copas (1934, 1936). His legend started in 1920 when he achieved the Silver Medal with Spain in the Olympic Games and he was one of the biggest stars.

Zamora is part of our history, but when I talked with my elder relatives they always talk with more passion about Ramallets.

About Baia, yes, he has achieved titles with Porto... but I would say that Porto has won titles despite having Baia. I still think that he's a bad goalie. I don't miss him, when I see him in Porto and what he does, I don't regret to let him go. Who is going to forget the Barça 0-4 D. Kiev? or the Barça 5-4 Atlético?

·
40,147 Posts
Setzer said:
I'll tell you one person that won't never forget this game: Milinko Pantic :howler:
Another one... he said: "It's the first time that I score 4 goals and I can't believe that we have lost this match"... that day was incredible, the best match that I've ever seen. The Atlético-Barça's before they felt to Segunda were amazing.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Falastini said:

Yeees I understand, but I mean, that I don't know English well enought to catch the sarcasm all the time:) :rollani:

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Actually, he didn't play that much in Barcelona, only 4 seasons. He was born in Barcelona and his first team was Espanyol (1916-1918). He played his debut with 16 years old with the Pericos. He had some problems with the directors of Espanyol and he decided to join the biggest rival, Barça. He played for us from 1918 to 1922. He won 2 Copas with us, recall that the first Liga was played in 1929, so the Copa was the most important tournament at that time. He went back to Espanyol, where he played until 1930, where he won another Copa in 1929. Then he signed for Real Madrid where he played until he retired in 1936, when the Civil War started. In Madrid he won 2 Ligas (1932, 1933) and 2 Copas (1934, 1936). His legend started in 1920 when he achieved the Silver Medal with Spain in the Olympic Games and he was one of the biggest stars.

Zamora is part of our history, but when I talked with my elder relatives they always talk with more passion about Ramallets.
Yes he might not have been a big part of Barça's history, and he might have played for both of our most hated rivals, which is what made me think twice befor putting him in my "Historia" compilation. In the end, I decided to include him because I didn't want to waste the rare footage without using it.
But Ramallets was by all accounts probably the greatest.
Urruti also is very respected (also for his personality). RIP URRUTI... :thmbup:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
zeifod2 said:
Yeees I understand, but I mean, that I don't know English well enought to catch the sarcasm all the time:) :rollani:
In this case its easy: no one in his right mind thinks Bonano is a good keeper. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts