Xtratime Community banner

5081 - 5100 of 5131 Posts

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Apparently we'll play a friendly in Wembley against England just before the tournament.
What in the hell will this accomplish? They're the best team in the world right now..They'll chew us up and spit us out.. literally.

Have you guys watched them lately? They'll run us over 5 or 7-1

·
Registered
16,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,083
What in the hell will this accomplish? They're the best team in the world right now..They'll chew us up and spit us out.. literally.

Have you guys watched them lately? They'll run us over 5 or 7-1
It's a bad choice. In our current form it could be devastating, specially if we don't get to the Euro.

·
Registered
69,662 Posts
I want to think we won't repeat in June (and March) the bad performances and form of this November.
I'm not against that friendly. Playing against the best is the fastest way of progressing. I'd have a match against Spain every week. In 2 months we would play much better against such rivals.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I want to think we won't repeat in June (and March) the bad performances and form of this November.
I'm not against that friendly. Playing against the best is the fastest way of progressing. I'd have a match against Spain every week. In 2 months we would play much better against such rivals.
I'd do the opposite. That Euro group is very weak compared to 2008. We need a minnow to thrash and get a dozen goals going.Our team struggles to score. Defensive record was actually not horrible until final few matches.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Thrashing a shitty team and scoring +5 goals in 1 game won't solve the problem of scoring goals and miraculously change something...oh you scored a lot of goals against a shitty team?! Well you will obviously score goals now against Ukraine and Austria... (who are not weak btw, almost all teams at the Euros are favourites against us for good reasons)

Playing England is perfect, we need strong opposition to become better, we have to test our team against the best.

England is not the best team in the world....but they can prove me wrong like they did in the past 60 years...

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,215 Posts
I haven't really watched Austria, how are they?
Obviously NoName will be able to answer this properly, but they finished second in a pretty crap group, had some good wins but also lost to Latvia 1-0 and Israel 4-2.

If we qualify, we definitely need to secure a win against them to have any chances. As for Ukraine, very tough one and I think we’d lose without some major changes but it’s possible.. Netherlands is mission impossible lol.

But let’s focus on Iceland first...

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Obviously NoName will be able to answer this properly, but they finished second in a pretty crap group, had some good wins but also lost to Latvia 1-0 and Israel 4-2.

If we qualify, we definitely need to secure a win against them to have any chances. As for Ukraine, very tough one and I think we’d lose without some major changes but it’s possible.. Netherlands is mission impossible lol.

But let’s focus on Iceland first...
Israel has been awful too, same with Latvia. That group was really bad. Ukraine is beast-mode. They could make the semi's.

As for England, I do believe that their current form would smack any team around. They're in a really good moment right now.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Austria has high potential if you look at how many players they have in the top 5 leagues (~35!! in Bundesliga), many of them starting players. They also have one of the best youth programs in the world with RB Salzburg (look at a list of players they produced...incredible) who are crushing it in EL and CL in the past few years. Also most of their players are in a very good age, they will only become stronger from now on. Their coach is average at best though.

They had an "easier" group for sure but considering they started with only 1 point in their first 2 games (which meant another loss and they are almost out) they did a good job in the end, getting the points they needed under huge pressure. Their loss in their last game against Latvia is definitely shameful (just look at Latvia's results lately...) but they played with their 2nd team (which is still no excuse, it's still a line up filled with Bundesliga players...) and were already qualified.

What they lack most imo is experience and confidence....they have the potential to underperform and if things don't go their way they might have problems to recover during a game. Still, they are definitely favourites against us, even more if we show performances like we did in this qualification, which hopefully won't happen with Radoi. If we see a different Romania we have realistic chances to get something against Austria and Ukraine, and even against the Netherlands (although smaller chances of course). Don't remind me of the shameful game against the Dutch at the Euros....reminded me of the game against Sweden at home and Spain away....when you see from minute 1:"Ah the tactical plan today is to play for 0 points. Good, very good!"

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,215 Posts
Yeah, RB Salzburg have made astonishing progress, I remember when we thought Viitorul should do a good game against them but even then they were strong and destroyed them. They keep getting more and more dangerous and will definitely reap a lot of rewards in CL money.

Even the players in youth teams seem really promising, look at Thierno Ballo at 17 doing well in Chelsea U23s, and then there’s our own Daniliuc (parents from Suceava @forestasuceava !) who captains Bayern U19s and plays 90 mins every week in Germany and UYL. He’ll surely represent Austria at senior level too..

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,215 Posts
Iceland B (with a few first-team players) defeated Canada 1-0 in a friendly.

Why are we not playing any friendlies..?
Should probably mention Canada was a mostly B team too.. Didic from the new CPL got only his second cap, then some other lesser known players combined with some MLS players. No CL team of the of the group stages players like Davies or Borjan or the big scorer Jonathan David from Gent, among others.

I don’t think we should take much stock in that result since it was two B teams in a friendly. But yes, why aren’t we scheduling at least one friendly before such an important game?! Especially when quite a few of our players abroad are having issues with getting minutes, this would be critical.

·
Registered
16,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,096
Well those winter camps where always contested by the clubs, so FRF stopped doing them.

In fact Radoi will only have 2 days with the whole squad, Liga I's round was advanced a few days so he has 5 days with local players. Impossible to change anything in that period

So I see 3 options:

-Repeat recent line ups hoping for the motivation to improve things

-Use Budescu and Alibec who already have chemistry between them

-Use many U21 who know each other

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,215 Posts
So I see 3 options:

-Repeat recent line ups hoping for the motivation to improve things

-Use Budescu and Alibec eho already have chemistry between them

-Use many U21 who know each other
Good points. Yeah, the situation seems pretty shitty, as usual we never help ourselves with such stupid reasoning...

But yeah, why not more than one of those things? We could play Budescu and Alibec together and still combine with the younger players. Hopefully Chiriches will be fit & in form by then, seems he has already been training with Sassuolo, don’t know if he played any games yet. And Benzar being loaned to Perugia might help too (even if it’s a lower level).

But yeah, Radoi’s motivational skills in this short period and our players form will be key. At least I have more faith in his tactical decisions even in these conditions than with Contra...

·
General Iordanescu
28,387 Posts
I don't know Canada's team enough to know it was a B-team, sorry :p

I wouldn't be surprised to see a mixture of those things Rumaniac mentioned. But yes, motivation is the most important aspect here IMO.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,215 Posts
I don't know Canada's team enough to know it was a B-team, sorry :p

I wouldn't be surprised to see a mixture of those things Rumaniac mentioned. But yes, motivation is the most important aspect here IMO.
You will soon ;)

·
General Iordanescu
28,387 Posts
A squad could look something like this:

Tata, Radu, Lung?
Benzar, Manea/Boboc?
Chiriches, Nedelcearu, Sapunaru (if he'll be back) or Burca, Rus?
Radu Bancu, Tosca/Boboc?
Marin, Baluta, Stanciu, Cicaldau, Nistor?, Anton/Bordeianu
Budescu, Hagi, Maxim?
Coman, Mitrita, Man
Alibec, Puscas, Andone

5081 - 5100 of 5131 Posts