Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has been for 10 years in Deportivo, he's already 36 (I think) and he could achieve the last tournament of his football life: The champions league. He has been the best defensive midfielder of the last decade in Spain, but being a Depor playing doesn't give the same glamour than playing in the "big teams".

Personally, I adore him, he's a fair player, a great footballer, always working for his team with a great efficiency.

I think he's one of the best brazilian players ever and for sure the best Brazilian defensive midfielder of the last years, something not recognized too often. Mauro Silva deserves a big menction in Brazil football history, as he has in the Spanish league. This is my tribute to Mauro Silva. I wish he can end his career with a top club competition in his pocket.

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Great thread, man. :thumbsup:
I agree with you on most things you said, just the claim that he is one of the best brazilian players ever is a little bit exaggerated, IMHO. No doubt that he is an excellent players and probably the best brazilian defensive midfielder in the last decade, but IMHO, in the whole history of brazilian football, there were a lot of players better than Mauro Silva.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
OAnimal in the last 10/15 years I doubt there has been a better brazilian dm than Mauro Silva and he is right that he is one of the best brazilians DMs out there!

Good post Koeman

·
Registered
798 Posts
A fine thread about one so worthy. I am a great fan of his - he plays the volante role to perfection. I just wish he would score a goal before he retires!

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Liternit said:
OAnimal in the last 10/15 years I doubt there has been a better brazilian dm than Mauro Silva and he is right that he is one of the best brazilians DMs out there!
Man, I think I said exactly that (well, more or less). ;)

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, considering he's the best defensive midfielder of the last 10/15 years in Brazil, that puts him among the best ever, IMO. Anyway, that's not the important thing. I just wanted to express my admiration for a player that has been a rival of my club for years, but at the same time, a player that is able to be loved by everyone.

I think he deserves a menction, when everyone talks about Vieira, Davids, etc., I usually see that everyone forgets about him, just for playing for Depor and not in a big club. A CL would be a chance to give him what he deserves. In any case, he has been one of the best players I've seen in my life.

BTW, can you tell me why he left the "canarinha"? Did he have problems with anyone? That would be very strange.

·
Administrator
29,792 Posts
Slowly he faded away, first Zagallo had preferences for Cesar Sampaio because Cesar was more "Offensive" then Scolari even called him, but Mauro, when in the aiport stepped back. Scolari is not the kind of person that give many chances...and Mauro was gone for once.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Mauro is the most underrated player in Europe in the last decade, simple as that. One of my favourites, and one of the reasons (with Jabo and Fran) of why I like Depor. Great player, honest person, nice guy, Mauro el puto amo!

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
The "Tank" that Brasil Forgot

Well... since we're paying tribute to the great Mauro :star: I'd like to add something I wrote about him a while ago...
=============

Redondo, Deschamps, Keane, they all deserve mention among the great names of that position in the past decade. But the single finest and most dominating defensive mid through the 90s was Mauro Silva. That man is a freakin' force of nature. When you see him live you get the full dimension of his contribution: he's always harassing the opposition, everywhere in the field, and he steals balls like he was a magnet and the balls were made of metal. :eekani: :strong: Mauro Silva is a "tank" in front of defense, and he would become indispensible for any team in the world.

Mauro Silva was an integral part of the process that brought Deportivo to win La Liga and become a contender at the highest levels. He and Bebeto :star: left Brasil to play at La Coruna in the early 90s, joining Lendoiro's project of making Deportivo great. but despite his success both in club and international level, he was one of the most gravely underrated players in that period, maybe because he never left La Coruna, where he built a home and stablished some non-football-related businesses (Mauro, who has a degree in administration, owns a computer company or something). In a Juventus or Real Madrid, Mauro Silva's solid efficiency and regularity would probably have received more attention. :(

After World Cup 94 Mauro Silva was listed in the WC's best 11, together with Roberto Baggio and Romario. But after that, the command in the Seleçao changed, Zagallo stepped in and decided that Brazil needed "renovation". In with the new, out with the old! And thus Zagallo (who was also our Olympic Team coach) began calling younger midfielders. The Brazilian fans, after Mauro moved to other leagues, began to "put him aside" and look for more "skillful" defensive mids; so a lot of players were given chances in what should be Mauro's position: names like Djair, Axel and Marcelinho Paulista began to appear on the team, always searching for more "creative" mids – and unfairly IGNORING this proven, competent and effective ballwinner who had won a World Cup for us. :sob: The Brazilian fans and coach needed somebody with more "style"... and thus was the great injustice perpetrated, and Mauro Silva was abandoned.

He continued to defend Deportivo's colors with dilligence and success... and occasionally Mauro would get a chance to defend the Seleçao, but frequently he would be dismissed in favour of less-successful (and generally lesser) players. And even when he WAS played, he was never given a sequence of games, just odd chances in random friendlies. And in 1998, the ultimate slap in the face: Zagallo didn't even list Mauro Silva (who was playing probably the best football of his life, and had been in the previous WC's Top 11) among the 23 players, choosing DORIVA instead!! :devil: :wallbang: After that, I remember interviews in which Mauro Silva expressed how disillusioned he felt, and how he was trying to put the Seleçao behind him.

Then, after a handful of coaches, came Luis Felipe Scolari, chosen for the job with only 1 year to prepare. According to Scolari's biography "A Alma do Penta", Mauro Silva was the man Scolari wanted as captain in his team. More precisely, Mauro would have played in Gilberto Silva's position. But then came the 2001 Copa America incident: the competition would be Scolari's best opportunity of testing the team before the WC, so he wanted all the starters he could get. But the tournament was also in Colombia, and the players were all afraid of playing there because of all the local conflicts – Argentina simply refused to participate in the tournament, due to security concerns. But Big Phil needed the chance to test the team, so he expressed the importance of this tournament in the team's preparation to all the players he wanted to call... and those who accepted to go and later changed their minds lost the manager's confidence (I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's all in his biography). Mauro Silva accepted, and even came to Brazil... because he wanted to "personally explain" to Scolari why he would not participate! However, Mauro didn't warn Scolari of his change of heart in time to call someone else, so the coach felt betrayed and Mauro was erased from the list of candidates. :(

Mauro Silva won't play the 2006 WC, sadly. He was unfairly ignored in 98 and dismissed in 2002... so his only World Cup experience will continue to be just 1994. :proud: Deportivo fans will probably remember him forever as a "tank" commanding their defense, and he'll always have his name written in the history of Brazilian football. But Mauro really deserves more credit than he gets. :star: :smileani:
==================

And by the way... I rate Mauro Silva among the finest Brazilian defensive midfielders EVER, easily top 3 of all-time. On the same level as Zito without any favours. But shamefully, we Brasilians never value good defensive players, which led us to dismiss Mauro in favour of "flashier" and inferior players for a whole decade. :sigh:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
just wondering, do u rate him over dunga?

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tonjaw said:
just wondering, do u rate him over dunga?
Personally, I do. Mauro is an outstanding player. One of the most underrated players ever. His problem is that he didn't have the press behind him, as others have had... just for playing in a small city team.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Mauro Silva is a great player, had a great career, but he is far from being the best brazilian DM ever. He was not even of his generation... Dunga was better than him on and off the pitch;)

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
he was better at passing and stealing than Dunga, at least I think so, but Dunga was the team leader and more important to the team.

Zé who do you rate higher than Mauro besides Dunga, considering only their generation.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Mazinho in the role of DM at the time he played for Palmeiras was better than Mauro Silva. HOwever, he had many roles and he sort of dissapeared for the brazilian public. But wehn he played for the pigs in that team of 93/94 he was better than Mauro Silva and should have played as a second DM.

Dunga's passing was brill...... he that had to supply Bebeto & ROmario in 94, as Rai & Zinho were next to useless in that function (which was the role they had);)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
Mazinho in the role of DM at the time he played for Palmeiras was better than Mauro Silva. HOwever, he had many roles and he sort of dissapeared for the brazilian public. But wehn he played for the pigs in that team of 93/94 he was better than Mauro Silva and should have played as a second DM.
But Mauro was always the first DM, with more defensive responsibility than the 2nd man. Mazinho was a 2nd DM, he would have competed for Dunga's place and that would never happen. ;) Defensively, Mazinho was never as solid as Mauro Silva.

About Dunga and Mauro... for me, they could both be included in an list of Brazil's Best 5 defensive midfielders ever, with legends like Cerezo and Zito. :cool: I hear Danilo Alvim was brill for Vasco in the 40s, but I've never seen any footage from him so it's hard to say. :undecide:

The problem with Mauro is that our whole school of football is built on putting offense above defense, and above all Mauro Silva is a master at defending. A poster from another forum (I forget his name right now) recently visited us and mentioned that we Brasilians don't know what good defending is. We may not like to hear it, but he does have a point... we love offensive play and creativity so much that we overlook the value of essentials such as blocking, covering and marking effectively. When I look at the Italians playing, for instance, I see people whose whole conception of the game is built in different technical priorities. Their game will never be as fluid and unpredictable as ours, but we'll never defend like that. And our cultural preferences made us remove Mauro Silva from our Seleçao immediately after he'd won the World Cup, because we wanted somebody who could score goals, advance and help create plays. The problem is that NONE of them were as good as Mauro... and some frankly were not good enough to polish Mauro's shoes. :thumbdwn:

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Garrincha,

Put Dunga as first and Mazinho as second..... it definitly would not be a revolution in the world of football;)

And Cesar Sampaio was simply brilliant;)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts