Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so it's quite obvious that most Azzurri supporters here are not Italian natives, so i'm curious why the Italian NT in particular seems to resonate with a lot of non-Italians.

I'm asking this because i was watching France vs Italy in a bar, and there were a lot of people who were not Italian or French. But they overwhelmingly supported Italy. And they weren't supporters for the day, they were supporting Italy for the whole tournament. Logically you attribute some of them as bandwagoners from the world cup triumph, but i noticed this trend of non-Italians supporting Italy well before this both in real life and on XT.

So i'd like to ask the foreign Azzurri supporters, why is it that you support Italy?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
For me, it must be the compassion and sympathy I developed for Italy while watching the team going through so many heartbreaks between 1990 and 2006.

But in all seriousness ever since I was a kid I always felt Italian footballers were cooler than others. Growing up in the 90s, I worshipped Baggio and Maldini. So maybe this is why.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
For me it was Baggio and Juventus players who represented the Azzurri since the early 1990s.

There's something special in the Azzurri, where you feel they deserve to be the best in the world all the time, even though luck hasn't always been on their side or something just has to go wrong. I guess that builds up gradually and enhances one's passion.

There are some traditional elements linked with the Italian culture as a whole which many people are mesmerised by, so I think this also contributes to the way people associate with Italian football in general.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Not much of a clue about that, really. Why do you follow Juventus, Nero? I guess I got really hooked up during Euro 2000, that team showed a lot of character. 1999/2000 was the first season when I was experienced enough to appreciate football on a more tactical level and being able to watch a lot of Serie A games at the same so I symphatised with quite a few of the players, too. Also, for me football is a lot about being cunning and winning even you are playing poorly...and only Germany can rival Italy in that but they are too physical to my taste. :)

P.S. I haven't really seen many post WC 2006 bandwagoners on XT, to be honest.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Vieri! :party: Ohh wait he doesn't play anymore...:,oan:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Its related with why I became a Milan fan more than a decade ago. I was like 8-9 and I was bonding with this cute kid :embarass: (wonder where he is, btw, I'm a girl, just in case) who realized I liked football, and he asked me "do you like Milan?" I said "yeah" thinking it was a candy bar (and it's delicious), and he got all excited, and when I realized it wasn't the candy bar but a sports team (I just nodded to everything he told me) I went on asking my dad what the hell was Milan. So I started watching their games, and fell in love with the team and since my favorite players were the italian ones and I thought Baggio was cool, I liked the italian NT.

I would say Costa Rica is a pro Italy country (after both Brazil and Argentina, though I can tell you that there are more chances to see people with the Italy shirt than Argentina's or Brasil's even if it's a fake, more stylish I guess), I was pretty surprised to see how people celebrated the victory over Germany (the goals were like if Costa Rica had just scored). Panama doesn't care much.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
First, let me say that I supported the Azzurri during the times when everyon I knew supported Brazil (some even supported their u-17 team against ours at the 2001 WC in T&T).

Anyway, most of those "Brazilian supporters" (who probably used to support Real as well), are now supporting Spain, Portugal and England (their club teams tend to be Man U, Arsenal and Barca these days), and oh how I am laughing my ass off at them.

The Azzurri are the eason I started watching football, and I started supporting them even before Juve, when I didn't care about club football. It pisses me off though, to see the new Italy "supporters" who weren't there before 2006.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I want Pirlo, Rino, Ambro and esp Ambro to win something for their NT. Self-explanatory really, fans of Serie A clubs, fans of the Azzurri.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Not if youre an Inter fan.

·
Registered
867 Posts
In my country 95% of people hate Italy (Slovenia), I still remember the final I watched with my friends, I was the only one who was happy after Zidane's headbutt. But most of all I am a fan of Italy because of Juventuses players in the team, players like Del Piero, Buffon, Camoranesi, Chiellini. I use to root for France too but not anymore.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Matrix draws Crowds

Good number of haters, and proportionately Fans

... nuff said.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
The azzurra shirt is cool. And with the traditional red-white-blue finishes, it looks quite snazzy. ;)

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
btw Panucci's Rosaria Cannavò is a stunner.. what a suprise.

Seredova tops.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If US is not in then tournament then I root for Italy. This comes from the fact I am a supporter of a Italian professional club. It's as simple as that really.

·
DAJE ROMA
5,521 Posts
I dont know exactly, but i love As Roma, the Calcio more than any other competition so maybe i like anything related to italy, i remember i started to be an Azzuri fan in WC1998 i loved R.Baggio especially also when Roma players especially Totti had a role in Azzuri i liked it more beside when i meet italians here in Egypt ( in sharm el sheikh) i find them really nice people and seem close to egyptians in many things .

1 - 20 of 85 Posts