Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking an open question to all the hard core and old timer Barca fans. Those who were around, in the early 90's and those who were in constant contact with what was happening back then. The question is about a man that you first loved, then hated with all your heart and for good reasons. That man is Luis Figo. Before i go on, please please no bashing. Gracias.

I'm inquiring about his very first days in Barcelona. How big of a player was he at that time? How did the Barca fan react to his arrival? It's rumoured that Cruyff took him into his control and helped him become the player he is today. Can you people confirm/deny that and give more info in that issue? Muchas gracias.:)

I appreciate your informative answers to all of you.

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,658 Posts
I'm speaking as a person who doesn't like Luis Figo, admires his good but not genius footballing qualities and saw all his matches for Barça.
We were all really interested in Figo when he played some really good matches for Sporting against Madrid (more as a midfielder) but we all presumed he would sign for them.
Suddenly he went to Barça and had a very average season. Many people were disappointed but his game was still nothing special. It was in his third year with Van Gaal that he really exploded. It seemed more like a matter of confidence than anything. Somebody must have told him that he was a pretty decent winger and should start taking players on and not just cross the ball like a skillful version of Zenden.
So the answer is no. Cruyff helped a lot of players to become great but LF wasn't one of them.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
When Figo came, he had to fill a huge gap, since it was the year Koeman, Stoichkov and Romario left us.
Well, together with Prosinecki and Kodro, but those two didn´t exactly fulfill the expectations.
Figo developed into a first team player and that didn´t change after Cruyff got sacked and Robson became the new coach.
So basically, Cruyff was the one who brought Figo to Barça, but Robson and Van Gaal made Figo the player that he is today.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
We signed Figo because he signed first for both Juventus and Parma. That ment that both the italian clubs decided that non of them wanted him so we got him for a real barging. Figo has in many interviews said that Johan Cruyff is the best coach he ever had.

I would like to say that Figo was a player you noticed allready during Robson with many great combinations with Luis Enrique-De la Peña/Giovanni-Ronaldo. But that`s only my opinion.

Y

·
0 Posts
bad smell i smelled when i read figo name

plz don't write his name in barca forum ;)
write instead of his name, anything related to non human beings...;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
When the Traitor landed although he was a good player by the time , you could claim he was actually a nobody and in a while since he came in took the hearts of the whole Nou Camp , it was a kind of magic chemistry beetwen him and the barcelona faithful,you have to bear in mind that this bloke had in his barça's days a lot of bottle in the pitch , one of the things we lack most nowdays , also he was a skillful player , giving us glory football evening, but actually he is just a turncoat , backstabber nonce.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all of you for your greatly informative answers!:)
There's a hot debate in the Milan forum about Figo, so if you want to check it out, your input would be interesting and welcomed.;)

I heard that Nunez, during his days as the president of Barca, was not getting on well with the big stars and that's mainly because of him that they left (Stoichkov, Romario, Ronaldo and lately, Figo). Care to comment on that? Thanks in advance.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts