Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
50,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds penalty shootouts to be an annoying and unfair solution to decide the winner. The winner should be decided by real in-play goals. But the problem is that matches could go on forever like this.

But the solution is really easy. After the 2nd XT, simply add another ball on the pitch and play for the golden goal. Both teams have their own ball they kick off from the centre ring. Just think of the fun and drama that could ensue: one team attacking from both wings with two balls, for example. It would take maybe 5 minutes at most to score a goal and end the match. Yeah, it would be a mayhem and seem really strange at first but the long-term impact would probably be a positive one. At least it would be football, with real attacking and defending, and not shooting a dead ball at the goal from a fixed spot at 11 metres.

Opinions?

·
1st Tier Poster
50,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now of course you can call me crazy and say it is impossible form the refereeing standpoint. But listen:

All it needs is to bring in 4th official (What the hell is this guy doing anyway except arguing with the managers?) to follow the actions going on around the extra ball (it should be in different colour too). Some rules would need clarifying obviously. For example, should the play be stopped altogether in case of throw ins and indirect free kicks with Ball A? IMO no, the action with Ball B can go on simultaneously .But in case of direct free kicks, corners and penaties with Ball A the other ball should be temporarily put away and continued from the same position after the set piece situation with Ball A is over. With any fouls worth yellow or red cards the play should also be stopped with both balls. And maybe two players from teh subs bench for each team could be brought on as extras after the 2nd XT. Because 11 vs 11 with two balls is not enough, 13 vs 13 would be better.

Basically some rules would need to be clarified but it shouldn't be anything too difficult. If only FIFA would put their braintrust behind it instead of the "homegrown players" bullshit they are currently immersed with :rollani:

·
Major
1,342 Posts
or call the thg off...and shoot them for playn a draw..

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
I agree that penalty kicks are unfair to a degree, but a better solution would be; use both ends of the pitch - make both teams take their penalties at the same time.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I don't think sudden death should be decided on 1 penalty for each team. Chelsea were on top right the way through the pen shoot out, then terry misses his, and straight after man u score their pen - chelsea are the ones that seem to have the disadvantage. Maybe sudden death should be decided in groups of 3?

·
Major
1,342 Posts
no present format is the best..... atleast for this yr :p

·
Premium Member
24,062 Posts
How about a mud fight between the managers instead? Throw a cat fight for extra entertainment :lala:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
just carry on extra time without goalies, after ten minutes take off all defenders, ten minutes later take off all midfielders.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
If you're so desperate to decide the game just flip a coin. The outcome is 50% so it's not unfair. ;)

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Paper, Scissors, Stone. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Best of 3.:D

·
Premium Member
24,062 Posts
How about "Which Captain can jerk off more?"?

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Funny how penalties taken during the game are always considered to be a matter of skill and concentration, but after the game it suddenly becomes "lottery". Also interesting to see that Ronaldo was quick to use that word when he missed a penalty...were all his successful penalties during the season just luck, then?

Replays are the only better solution, but that is ruled out by other factors.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
It may be unfair but its the only decent solution, all the other ones that are being mentioned will make football like a little kids mess about.

·
Scudetto
23,461 Posts
Best way is to do it like ice hockey.

Give a player a certain amount of time, maybe 20 seconds, and he starts from the center spot.

He then has to beat the goalkeeper one-on-one in those 20 seconds.

They did this in a few friendlies in Italy in the past and it was mightily exciting :D

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
That might be better but it would be alot easier to score so the matches would go on forever.

I thought it would be better if after the 2nd half of extra time its still a draw they should play until somebody scores but by then the players would be nackered and it would still go on for too long.

Penalties is the best solution even though it is harsh.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
From the mental point of view, penalty is the worst solution to decide a game actually. It will put penalty taker in a tremendous stress for missing. Remember Baggio after he missed the penalty? He lost how many years? Sudden death or Golden ball would be the way to go for me.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts