Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 9715 Posts

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Nossa Seleção: 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

So Portugal currently lies in first in Group 3 of UEFA qualification for the World Cup. We have played 5 games, winning four and drawing one :wallbang: . We also have scored the most goals so far in qualification and have only allowed 3 goals.

Last game: Lux 0-5 Por

Next Game: Ireland v Portugal (Friendly)

Ricardo (Sporting Lisbon), Quim (Benfica); Fernando Meira (Stuttgart), Jorge Andrade (Deportivo de La Coruna), Rogerio (Guimaraes), Marco Caneira (Valencia), Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea); Tiago (Chelsea), Armando Petit (Benfica), Costinha (Porto), Deco (Barcelona), Hugo Viana (Sporting Lisbon), Manuel Fernandes (Benfica); Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Luis Boa Morte (Fulham), Pedro Pauleta (Paris St Germain), Simao Sabrosa (Benfica).

It's good to see Hugo Viana back. I feel that he is playing great with Sporting this season and when he returns to Newcastle will possibly become one of the best playmakers in the world. Benfica have the most call-ups for this game. Probably the biggest surprise is the inclusion of 19 year old Manuel Fernandes of Benfica. He sure has talent, so hopefully we'll get to see him in the game.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some more news to point out for this upcoming friendly. It seems that Manchester United Captain Roy Keane has pulled out of the match. Apparently, he has suffered a knee injury.

I also would like to know if any of you have an opinion regarding the exclusion of Pedro Menders for this game. He's been playing well for Spurs this season and has been a regular starter for them.

Is it time that we start inroducing some new strikers? This is the spot where we lack the most depth. Postiga showed signs that he possibly could have taken the position, however he hasn't impressed much this season. Makakula is a good striker, but plays for a poor team; however I think he should be called up. Hugo Almeida shows potential as well, he was just recently loaned out. Quaresma can also play upfront, so he's another option. Then we have Nuno Gomes, man I wish he was the Nuno of Euro 2000... Hopefully, we'll have a good consistent striker by the WC. Some other names to keep in mind are Freitas, and Daniel João Santos Candeias. Fabio Paim can also play in the forward position ;). These guys are long shots for the WC, but you never know, they can go through a C. Ronaldo tranformation :)

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
For forward position:

Ricardo Vaz Te (Bolton)
Hugo Almeida (Boavista/Porto)
Carlos Saleiro (Sporting)
Cicero (Russian team)

It could be a lot worse, I have faith in the youth to develop.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also want Felipe Oliveira to develop... we have some bias at Chelsea :D , so maybe Mourinho will bring him back since Robben is out. It probably won't happen, but I can dream.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Young07 said:
I would have like to have seen Ricardo Quaresma in the line up
Yea, he's now maturing at Porto. The problem now is that although Porto are tied up in points with Benfica at the top of the bracket; they have many problems. It's obvious when you see that they've already had 3 managers this season.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soccer team speaks up against racism

LISBON (AP) - Portugal's soccer team will wear black and white instead of its traditional red and green in Wednesday's friendly against Ireland to protest against racism in sports, Media reports said Monday.

The move is part of a campaign led by sports manufacturer Nike entitled "Stand Up, Speak Up" to call attention to the problem. The symbol of the campaign is two interlocked wristbands, one black, one white.

France forward Thierry Henry wore one of the wristbands at the World Player of the Year awards in Zurich.

Nike sells the wristbands and donates the proceeds to anti-racism causes.

The sports brand, sponsor of the Portugal team, has also manufactured the outfits players will be wearing.

The Dutch and Russian national teams will also join the campaign in upcoming matches.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
The wristbands look very nice, unfortunately it's off to ebay for anyone not in Europe.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I also think that Pedro Mendes already deserves a call up to the NT, but as always, when Scolari has an idea in his mind he doesn't change it easily... It seems that Pedro Mendes is not NT quality in his judgement.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
MCdread said:
I also think that Pedro Mendes already deserves a call up to the NT, but as always, when Scolari has an idea in his mind he doesn't change it easily... It seems that Pedro Mendes is not NT quality in his judgement.
He would've been called but he's been hurt the past couple of weeks....

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Flo said:
He would've been called but he's been hurt the past couple of weeks....
I actually never heard of that, what happened?

End Result was 1-0 Ireland won. Boring game, but it was just a means for Scolari to test out some options, I think Manuel Fernandes and Hugo Viana were the only players who really shone through for us, today. We actually could've tied it but Ronaldo was in the way of a ball going at goal, so that was well... agrivating. But today it showed that we do miss Porto's trincos.

For me, if not Maniche, then Costinha, whom though I dislike as a player, he does win a lot of balls in midfield and we could've used a lot of that today because of the way Ireland functioned.

The only good thing I can say about Ireland's NT was that they neutralized Deco, that was pretty much it, it was an uneventful game.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
unfortunate result for you guys you lost by the same result as we did by ireland only a friendly nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This game proves that we have problems with defending set pieces. Ricardo is still shaky, what's new? :rolleyes: I'm glad Hugo Viana and Manuel Fernandes got to play :D

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
O Glorioso said:
This game proves that we have problems with defending set pieces. Ricardo is still shaky, what's new? :rolleyes: I'm glad Hugo Viana and Manuel Fernandes got to play :D
Not exactly, just corners.

Freekicks we're not so bad at, it's just the awkward corner.

BTW: Welcome hrvatski: you've got a 100 posts but it's the first time I recall you posting in this forum. That or I'm blind and you've posted here a while. (Hopefully it's the first one, I need self esteem, damnit! :D :( )

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
This game was ridiculous. If Scolari wants to make a test of this then he should have tested several experiences. Just check how Portugal ended the match with all the disorganisation. Paulo Ferreira and Miguel are clearly the best Portuguese full-backs currently, and they will also be the best in 2006 so what Scolari should have made was to put Paulo Ferreira in the left side as he proved to play decently in Chelsea (and also in Portugal against Russia) and wait for Miguel to come to the right-back spot. Ferreira on the left would have been a TEST, the goal of this kind of friendlies.

This way, I don't understand why Guimarães right-back Bessa (who is a player I rate well) wasn't called. Scolari caused a tempest when some months ago, before the Luxembourg match, Guimarães played against Rio Ave on a Monday and he couldn't call Bessa. Now that he was available he didn't call him. The lack of criteria remains in Scolari...

Rogério Matias is playing nothing special this season at Guimarães and he got the chance, it's so silly. It's hard to say this but I think all this benefit around Caneira, after what had happened to him, is getting me sick. He just hasn't got quality to play at highest level and all of this smells like favour.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Only saw the highlights, but it looked like Hugo was a threat. From what I've heard and seen of him this season it seems although he's really matured as a player. I really want him back now, we lack so much creativity in midfield and he could provide this.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
BeiraMarense
it is indeed my first time posting on the Portuguese forum i think Portuguese football is very good as well as your league i live in a place called brampton in canada which has a very big Portuguese population so portugal games are very accesable to me league games as well. Like i said before portugal has nothing to worry about there is no need to overreact to a friendlyFORCA PORTUGAL :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LuisPedroCat said:
This game was ridiculous. If Scolari wants to make a test of this then he should have tested several experiences. Just check how Portugal ended the match with all the disorganisation. Paulo Ferreira and Miguel are clearly the best Portuguese full-backs currently, and they will also be the best in 2006 so what Scolari should have made was to put Paulo Ferreira in the left side as he proved to play decently in Chelsea (and also in Portugal against Russia) and wait for Miguel to come to the right-back spot. Ferreira on the left would have been a TEST, the goal of this kind of friendlies.

This way, I don't understand why Guimarães right-back Bessa (who is a player I rate well) wasn't called. Scolari caused a tempest when some months ago, before the Luxembourg match, Guimarães played against Rio Ave on a Monday and he couldn't call Bessa. Now that he was available he didn't call him. The lack of criteria remains in Scolari...

Rogério Matias is playing nothing special this season at Guimarães and he got the chance, it's so silly. It's hard to say this but I think all this benefit around Caneira, after what had happened to him, is getting me sick. He just hasn't got quality to play at highest level and all of this smells like favour.
I agree, some of Scolari's motives are strange. I think Scolari is a great manager and his record proves it, but I never liked the formation he is using with Portugal.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
O Glorioso said:
I agree, some of Scolari's motives are strange. I think Scolari is a great manager and his record proves it, but I never liked the formation he is using with Portugal.
I don't consider Scolari great. He's good mainly because of his motivation procedures. I can't name "great" a National Team coach, with an outrageous wage, who says he doesn't need to watch Chelsea in the stadium because "nowadays the cable tv broadcasts matches from all over the world. why should i travel when I can be watching in tv?". Apart from this "little" detail I rate his vision and anticipation (regarding decisions) as poor. Do you believe we lost against Greece in the final because of Ricardo's blunder and lack of form on some outfield players? I still think he should have had more anticipation as it was obvious that Rehhagel studied Portugal till the limit. Some tactical shock was needed to beat them since that was a team completely different from the other 15 in the competition and Scolari didn't have the vision to do it. It was easier for him to say "the players weren't in their best days"... only an idiot swallows that. The Greece final is an example. However, during the whole competition he motivated the team (and the country) like no one else would do.

Actually I agree with the 4-2-3-1 formation Scolari uses. If nothing unusual happens till 2006, my starting team (according to the players Scolari usually selects) would be: Ricardo; Miguel, Carvalho, Andrade, Ferreira; Maniche, Petit; Ronaldo, Deco, Simão; Pauleta.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
i dont know about pauleta really he seems very inconsistent altough i agree with the rest of your line up who would possibly replace pauleta only person that comes too mind is nuno gomes.

1 - 20 of 9715 Posts