Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself, because when i wrote for the first time i didn´t . I was born in Argentina and i have lived here all my life, my grand parents are spanish and unfortunately i´ve never been to Romania. Nevertheless, i love Romania and as i said before i am very sad about the WC, altough Argentina will be there.

Anyway, I wanted to start a subject to see what your opinion is.
I think romanian players are underestimated in Europe and even by their own
media and most of their people( it isn´t the case of this forum)
and that is one of the main reasons why romania has bad results at team level and the NT isn´t yet as big as it should.

Examples are everywhere, Hagi playing the last five years of his career in Turkey while inferior players like Savicevic, Boban, Zamorano or Bierhoff played being over 30 in the biggest clubs in Europe, or Popescu arriving now to lecce why Blanc is in Manchester United, Juan Sanchez playing instead of Ilie even when he is fit, and i could go on and on but i suppose you know what i meann

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think the main cause is that the biggest Romanian footballers are managed by Romanian people (the famous Giovanni Becali, for instance, of whom you may have heard - quite an interesting figure, by the way :)). Being so, these managers don't have the same marketing power as that of the Western or even Central Europe players. Another aggravating fact is the bad reputation of the Romanian championship (rigged matches, etc), that's why our players get sold on little money abroad, where they get overnight huge transfer limits. The Romanians are well-known for bad self-advertising, the Federation stays away from this and so on, they're on their own after all.

·
Registered
25,382 Posts
Welcome Rumaniac

I already posted a reply to your first post... unluckly that was a sad topic :(

Yes, Romanian players are undoubtedly underated. One of the biggest example is Contra, an excellent player who is being left on the bench while even the newspapers are wondering why...

The fact that we're being underated is mainly because of the corruption in the Romanian league...that's the tumor of our football. It is very sad because we're autodestructing ourselves.... :depress:

However, even the most negative thing has its positive side. In truth, there are many talented players right now who are growing day by day. Soon, if we are smart enough, we will explode like France and Portugal did when everybody underestimated them. Take my word for it! ;)

Rumaniac, I hope you'll post here often!!

Take care

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Rumaniac welcome!

I don't truly know the answers to your questions I have to admit..however, I think Anca and Lupisor made great points and the answer, at least on the most practical level has to address the issues of corruption, etc. However I would also like to blame the Romanian mentality a little bit. Sometimes Romanians have too much cynicism and sometimes even a self defeatist attitude, public and players alike. I think we need to learn from the Argentinian mindset in this matter and have more self-belief and natural pride in our talents. When the Argentinians play, their self-confidence alone becomes a force to be reckoned with. We have to learn to have more self belief in ourselves and play like Argentina, like lions, that know in their hearts that it is almost their destiny to win..I think it is that attitude, that confidence, that sometimes makes the difference between a goal and only just missing or hitting the bar. Anyway, others might disagree, but I think Romania needs to start going out there with an angry hunger and killer instinct attitude, luck be damned, referees be damned, and just....win.

And this applies to our players at club level also; I think some get a little complacent at times (this might not be fair, but I am thinking of Adi Ilie when I say this). I think Contra has the right attitude and god bless him for it, it is just that he might not go well with Ancelotti's tactical style. He needs to go to a club now with a coach that is brave enough to play an offensive right back. Mutu also seems to have gotten over his 'blame the world' mentality and now is putting in the effort it seems to be paying off (at least on the club level, although to be fair he's played out of position in the Natl. team). Niculae and Chivu never had a 'blame the world' attitude and I think they will be a great champions if they continue on course. The same might apply for Ghione and Cernat. In any case the new generation of players seem to have this smoldering angry hunger and killer instinct and I think that is great..well except for maybe Stoica which has behaved very strange lately. We need our young talent to keep working hard even when they become 'Stars' and not become soft and whiney. Oh yes, we also need good coaching, from whomever it comes, Hagi or otherwise!

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
David said:
Welcome man.

Cuper's discrimination over the Romanians is the best example of the things you have stated!

HAI ROMANIA!

Oh, not the Cuper thing again;)

I still can't believe Contra is being benched. Helveg is sh!t:mad:

Contra is the best player on milan's right side, but ancelloti seems to be really dumb to understand that.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
David said:

I agree. If you really wanna know, Helveg was team captain vs. Parma! :tongue:

I know!:mad:

It's amazing how he not only plays, but captains milan! He must be the worst Captain Milan has ever had.

Hey David, Call Contra at home and tell him Lazio wants him to start for us:tongue:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts