Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no denying that this season has ultimately been a failure. The horrific injury to Ronaldo, the run of matches without winning at San Siro, getting knocked out of Europe in March, and most importantly the failure to capture that coveted fourth spot and thus missing out on the CL next season all paint a gloomy picture define the 2007/08 campaign. However there have been some memorable moments this year that I think we should savor, despite everything.

UEFA Supercup a.k.a. the Pirlo Show

Unfortunately, this match was clouded by the tragic death of Sevilla defender Antonio Puerta. However, the match went on as planned, and both our tifosi and our players paid a fitting tribute to the man :thumbsup: As for the match itself, it provides a perfect example of the genius that is Andrea Pirlo. He was carving up the defense with his brilliant passes all game long, but the long ball to Jankulovski for the second goal was just sublime :eek: It was a fantastic display of football and class by our side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnW9b7EGC3A

Pippo's European Record

When it comes to the Champions League, no man does it better than Pippo Inzaghi. On December 4, 2007 he made it official. A typical right place, right time tap in against Celtic took him above Gerd Müller and into football immortality, despite the accusations of 'no talent.' Talentless he may be, but he knows how to score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9dKSVVxac

Pallone d'Oro

Our golden boy got rewarder for his magic in the road to Athens with the ultimate prize for an individual player, the Golden Ball. Following in the footsteps of Gianni Rivera, Marco van Basten, and George Weah, Ricky is well on his way to becoming a rossonero legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STOSoyUm7Y4

FIFA Club World Cup, or Operation Revenge continued

From the screams of 'Andiamo a Tokyo' heard right out side of the stadium in Athens, I could not stop thinking about Japan. After Liverpool was taken care of, a unique opportunity for revenge presented itself for the second time in a year, this time against our 2003 Intercontinental Cup opponents Boca Juniors. After getting past Urawa in the Semifinals, which was no easy task, Kaka and company put on a show in the final, and Il Capitano finally got a chance to lift the trophy that he missed out on four years prior. Oh, and Pippo scored his 5th goal in three finals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JKbwFn5llM

The Debut of Pato

After the incredible amount of hype surrounding the 18 year old Brazilian who looks like he should still be in school, we were all excepting something special that night against Napoli. He promised a goal, and he delivered. A fantastic first touch to get away from the defender, and a calm finish under the goalie. With 9 goals in 17 appearances, he looks like the real deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3okADx0lAE

The Debut of Paloschi

Although not quite as hyped up as Pato, his goal was just as incredible. With two goals in the Coppa Italia already, Alberto came on as a substitute against Siena. At 18 years of age, in the 18th minute of the second half, and after 18 seconds, he drilled a half-volley past a helpless Manninger!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB4Jq6IdNys

Pippo's Scoring Run

After not scoring in Serie A for over a year, Pippo responded to the critics by scoring a last-minute goal against Palermo, and then going on an incredible scoring run to close out the season. 10 goals in the last 7 matches, including a hat trick against Livorno and a crucial goal in the derby. Superpippo has shown us that he still has is, provided that he can stay healthy, that is. Which unfortunately is not often, but this is a positive thread!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeQbJFJ8AcI

Derby della Madonnina

With the last derby victory coming in 2006, and the possibility that Inter would win Lo Scudetto and celebrate in front of our faces, this was a must-win. A fantastic performance on the field, with goals from Pippo and Kaka, as well as the first derby choreography since the first derby of 06, made for an all-around aweseome match. "Anche nell'anno del centenario, sempre il solito scenario!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg9hfE89ZEg

Feel free to add you own.

We'll be back next year, UEFA Cup or wherever. Sempre Milan :heart: :proud:

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
An excellent post, Vadim. :thumbsup:

·
1st Tier Poster
49,998 Posts
fantastic compilation Vadim.

What a failure this season was?!?! :D
pretty big one I'd say considering we did worse than ever during Carlo's era both in Serie A and CL

We had some good moments but eventually not where it counted the most.

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
pretty big one I'd say considering we did worse than ever during Carlo's era both in Serie A and CL

i agree with your last part. i know milan fans are spoiled and are always dreaming big. its probably OK. but we also need to be realistic. We have done some good things this season. lets acknowledge them. going back in anger now means shit.

·
Registered
24,062 Posts

2001/2 was worse, finished 4th and were kncked out of Uefa cup QFs. Although he was appointed instead of Terim, it is still the first season of his era.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,998 Posts
2001/2 was worse, finished 4th and were kncked out of Uefa cup QFs. Although he was appointed instead of Terim, it is still the first season of his era.
He didn't have a full season and it wasn't his fault we were in the UEFA. And he still got us into the CL in his first season in a more competitive Serie A than nowadays, with a weaker squad we had now.

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
He didn't have a full season and it wasn't his fault we were in the UEFA. And he still got us into the CL in his first season in a more competitive Serie A than nowadays, with a weaker squad we had now.
Still his era, still, compared with this season, it was worse.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,998 Posts
Still his era, still, compared with this season, it was worse.
Like how was it worse? We qualified for the CL on 01/02, we didn't in this season. Super Cup and Club WC trophy basically came thanks to last season's success, we weren't in these competitions in 01/02. UEFA semifinals vs CL 2nd round...not much difference there, too early exits in both occasions but getting among the 4 best teams in UEFA Cup definitely isn't worse than getting among the 16 best in CL.

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
We won 2 trophies this season, regalrdelss of what made us play for them, period.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Superb post Vadim...

Certainly a tough to take for each and every Milan fan, but better times are coming...no doubt about that...if theres one thing i know we all have in common, its faith, and im grateful for that, so i know we will all be alright, no matter how strong the storm gets!

FORZA MILAN :proud: :heart:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Nice one Vadim :shades:

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Nice work there Vadim... Worse season in a while, true.. 2 International trophies, also true..

Think of it like this: if one year ago they asked us to make a choice, to win the #7 and sit out of CL for year, or not? Did we loose anything??

Always something to remember, Milan is a great club, everybody knows it, if we are missing the Champions League, we are giving others a break, thats all, we know and others know better, a short break will not stop us from winning it all again and again..

FORZA MILAN!!!!

ALWAYS PROUD!!!

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Bravo Vadim:thumbsup:perhap's a fine reality check to say this season hasn't been a complete disaster by a longshot.

·
Scudetto
23,385 Posts
Great post.

One of my favorite moments of this season though, was witnessing this:

KA-PA-RO

How the hell did you leave that one out? :D

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
i agree with your last part. i know milan fans are spoiled and are always dreaming big. its probably OK. but we also need to be realistic. We have done some good things this season. lets acknowledge them. going back in anger now means shit.

Yes, Milan fans are definitely spoiled but a lot of this has to do with how the Milan brass prioritize the season. He our goal is truly to win the CL at the cost of everything else, then everything else becomes secondary. We either win or come close to winning the CL or we have achieved nothing. With a club that tries to do well in everything they do, you wind up with many potential victories....beating rivals, finishing well in hte league, finishing well in the CL, making the finals of the Coppa and so on. But our attention is placed on one competition and nothing else seems to matter. We were out of the league by November, out of the Coppa early and never did anything resembling winning the CL.

Anyway, what I want to see is a Milan that places importance on everything they do; not simply picking one competition and then letting the rest rot. We are a much bigger club than that and I still think of ourselves as one of the top few in Europe. One who compete on all fronts and are at the top of the globalized competition of football.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
Yes, Milan fans are definitely spoiled but a lot of this has to do with how the Milan brass prioritize the season. He our goal is truly to win the CL at the cost of everything else, then everything else becomes secondary. We either win or come close to winning the CL or we have achieved nothing. With a club that tries to do well in everything they do, you wind up with many potential victories....beating rivals, finishing well in hte league, finishing well in the CL, making the finals of the Coppa and so on. But our attention is placed on one competition and nothing else seems to matter. We were out of the league by November, out of the Coppa early and never did anything resembling winning the CL.

Anyway, what I want to see is a Milan that places importance on everything they do; not simply picking one competition and then letting the rest rot. We are a much bigger club than that and I still think of ourselves as one of the top few in Europe. One who compete on all fronts and are at the top of the globalized competition of football.
Spot on. Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
That all sounds great but I am afraid its piece of utopia. As I mentioned somewhere else - look at Barca, they looked to be doing things different than us - not relying on their old stars that won the UCL 2 years ago, reinforcing, buying top quality plus new talent - ALL that most Milan fans wanted from Milan management. We are more or less at the same spot as we speak (trhey are in UCL only b/s its Spain - the big are 2, not 3 or 4; their Fios and Romas, like Atl M, Valencias, Zaragoza, Sevilla, had horrid seasons for the most part - never is serious contention for top 2, etc).

ManU are on UCL final for the 1st time since 99. And all that with their great youth policy. Arsenal are still tropheyless after all the talk and praise. Bayern missed a UCL year, now Ajax missed it too. etc

We took way too many things for granted at Milan.

Either way - as it was said so many times. This club has certain policy towards its own players, especially when in a winning era. The club has history and traditions that play a role probably more here than in any other club. It is what it is. It is Milan. Probably nothing is perfect, but that is club's philosophy, it seems to me - you put a team and give it the 4, 5, 6 years to win it all, to win and dominate. You dont touch it much until its all gone and clearly finished.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Great post, Vadim!

My favourite individual skill and moment of the season was easily Paloschi's Serie A debut goal + Carletto's smile and grin after that :star:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts