·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Soccer365.com

PRINCE ALBERT URGES MALDINI SWOOP
26/06/02
by Greg Seltzer

Prince Albert is pressing Monaco coach Didier Deschamps to make a move for AC Milan defender Paolo Maldini. The royal hopes the San Siro staple may join former teammate Oliver Bierhoff in the principality.

"I want Paolo in my side," he intimated. "We have made deals with AC Milan in the past and this should be our next one.”

”It would give Paolo the chance to end his great career without stress and without betraying the Rossoneri."

Maldini has worn none other than the Milan shirt during his illustrious 18-year career

Bullsh*t? Most likely. However, I wonder how much a team would offer for Maldini and whether it in't worth considering. As a fan, I would never want to see Maldini go because he is as synonymous with Milan as Baresi was a decade before. I can't imagine a back line without him.

However, that is often the exact problem with Milan. We can't imagine not having our legends play for us, so we keep guys like Baresi and Costacurta around forever and bring back golden oldies like Simone and Donadoni (from MLS five years ago or so).

Personally, I think a healthy Maldini has another great year in him. Maybe two. The question is do we sell him and get something for him while building for the future, or do we get everything out of a Milan legend and then have nothing to show for it other than watching a legend retire in the red and black?

Btw, I know nothing about Soccer365.com and if they are a crap site. Anybody?

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Well dae i gotta say this is tricky situation

Getting rid of maldii, wuld force us to buy a replacement of simialr quality.

on the other hand we are losing the man who embodies the red and black shirt.

Have to say that from a desire to succes viewpoint, i owuld ditch maldini and start over.....goes for billy, chamot, rossi, simeone, trio.

Lav

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think ditching those other bozos is an easy move, but ditching Maldini would be removing the heart and soul of the team. So, for that reason I feel hesitant. However, if Maldini is still playing at 37 and clearly past it, then I'd be a bit pissed.

Like I said, it's a question of getting good money for Maldini and getting a good replacement (Coco was an obvious one if he wasn't a a-hole) or keeping the great man around until he can't go anymore. I have a feeling Maldini has too much pride to play if he hasn't got the goods anymore. I hope so, anyway.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Well the thing is i dont wanna se maldini play like hge played for most of the WC..i mean he was **** till the last game

and i thinnk its only getting worse......so i hope he retires after this year or we retire him.

Lav

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old warriors can never retire. They just love to play and think they can go forever. It's what makes them great. But the sad part is when you some old fart running around embarassing himself ala Willie Mays with the Mets.

Maldini is not that bad, but let's hope he can be as honest with himself and understand when he's ready to retire. Forcing a legend out is no fun and pisses off the general tifosi who never want their heroes to leave.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
:rolleyes:

Yes, and I have been announced as Ancelotti's replacement....

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured this topic would bring you back out of the woods. Where you been, anyway, Debs? ;) :)

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Debs said:
:rolleyes:

Yes, and I have been announced as Ancelotti's replacement....
God help us in that case...i'd still rather have Carletto...:eek: ;):tongue:

Seriously tough Paolo will never leave as he is Milan. Prince Albert, like many other teams can wish to have San Paolo, but that will only remain a wish, nothing more!:stuckup:

As mentionned before, San Paolo has one probably two years left in him before retiring in a magistral way...with a big cup in his hands...:star::cool:

FORZA SAN PAOLO!

·
Registered
43,410 Posts
San_Siro_1 said:
...with a big cup in his hands...:star::cool:
FORZA SAN PAOLO!
Payman, one more time ... the group stages of the WC are over and yes, France is out. At the same time we are few days from the final and Italy is not there ... due to Trap and one referee you are a little bit late ... NO, Paolo will not finish his career "with a big cup in his hands" ... ;)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uh, dude, I think frenchie was talking about a CL trophy or a scudetto. Duh! :tongue: :D

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Exactly, El Taco got it right...;):D:tongue: (El Taco, sounds a perfect nick for our Master of the Rhetorics in here...;):D::D:D:tongue:) ).

By a big cup, i meant the CL!!!In May of 2003!!!!

Remember, if Germany got in the Final of the WC with such a lousy and pathetic team, then why can't Milan win the CL with a better team?:eek::tongue::stuckup:

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!:star:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
San_Siro_1 said:

Remember, if Germany got in the Final of the WC with such a lousy and pathetic team, then why can't Milan win the CL with a better team?:eek::tongue::stuckup:

El Taco, huh? Not bad but better make it a Taco Grande. ;) :D

I love you're line of logic there as it does lead to our victory, payman :), but first Milan has to field a better team. We freaking blew this last season. :mad: ;)

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Well i wanna see Maldini bow out in glory, but lets make it ASAP!

In any case a replacement for him is needed as we saw what happened last year after he went to the treatment table, we jsut started sucking more and more.

Lav

·
Registered
13,871 Posts
He´ll probably retire this season. Actualliy I wish he does. He´s still great and he should retire being great,like Baresi and unlike Billy.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I don't think Maldini would be leaving milan. Atleast as long as there is no leader in our back line. Someone like Nesta/canna. Which is highly unprobable. Anyway, i strongly believe that Maldini has 1-2 yrs of football left in him. That is, if he keeps himself injury free. As far as i know he still has 2 yrs of contract with Milan, I believe he and milan are going to honour it. Hell, If we have tolerated billy at this juncture of his career :eek: , why not Maldini?

Bottom line - Maldini is going nowhere.

Ciao

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
van said:
He´ll probably retire this season. Actualliy I wish he does. He´s still great and he should retire being great,like Baresi and unlike Billy.

I think we choose to forget Baresi's last season, but he really showed his age if I remember correctly. Of course, he was 37 (I think) and had some excuse.

I agree that Milan should keep Maldini for leadership at the back, if for nothing else. Having a Nesta would help solve the problem. Yo, Payman!!! That's yer cue!!! ;) :D

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Yeah Payman, u said something big is coming..... :eek: ;)

did i miss it or is it delayed :D :tongue: ;)

Lav

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe Friday is the big announcement. ;)

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Why Friday El Taco?:confused::tongue:

It will be shared with the rest of your mortals when the time comes!:stuckup:

:tongue::D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts