Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO, in term of the quality of football and excitement this is probably the best World Cup since 1986.

Before the tournament started I was afraid that the European teams will struggle and underperform becoz of the humidity of the Far East but so far apart from Croatia and probably England, most of them done reasonably well.

The cool things of this tournamnet so far is that there are goals in every match. Top teams(even Italy) all tried to attack from the first seconds of the match (probably after seeing Senegal upset France ) and there are lot of dramas (recalling the number of time the ball hitting the post and no. of goals disallowed). And the standad of football of African and some Asian nations show signs of catching up that of Europe and S A, almost every game is tights as hell.

The other great thing is the quality of the goals, recalling France 98, only few goals were scored outside the penalty area. But this time round in 13 games, we already have high quality free kick goals, long distance shots, overhead kick and tonnes of vollies. (probably something to do with the new ball)

If the quality of football remain high in the next 4 weeks and the local fans start to learn to appreciate the game and become more passionate. Then this can be one of the classic tournament like that of 70, 82 and 86.

Can't wait to see Germany vs Ireland, France vs Uruguay and of course Argentina vs England in the coming days

What you guys opinions about the overall quality of the football of this tournament so far?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I totally agree with you, great WC. maybe the best since 1986...the quality of fotball is supreme, the goals, so far no 0-0, all the goalscorers are socring, attacking style of fotball, the only thing i don't like is some amateurs referees's desitions, and of course the "always-there-Brazil.extra-help"

·
Registered
333 Posts
Guys, the WC hasn't even started yet.;) It seems like I've been waiting for my Portuguese to take the field forever. I hope you like watching them play. If they're on form, they should give everyone the same enjoyment that Brazil gave.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Brazil hasn't given me any joy, they have given me disgrace....looking forward to seeing your team...

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
It has been pretty good, except for some officiating;), and the Asian teams looked much stronger then I thought they would.

It should be really entertaining once the knock-out stages begin.

So Figo Rules, you are also going to wake up at 3:50 tonight;)?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Deniz...

I'm not going to sleep. I took a nap this afternoon. I'll watch Russia-Tunisia and try not to get too nervous.

The Porugal-US starts at 5:00 for me, so I'll be ready. If i don't post here tomorrow, it's probably because I had a heart attack :D from the nerves and rush of excitement.

The Germany-Ireland game is also big. I'm hoping Ireland wins to erase all the talk about that 8-0 monstrosity.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
SZeppelin75 said:
Brazil hasn't given me any joy, they have given me disgrace
Brazil haven't given you joy? The second half of that Brazil-Turkey game was one of the best 45 minutes I have seen for a while. But I gather you might be biased.:D

It is indeed true that this WC is the most exciting I have witnessed. If France 98 was great, this is even better. The teams were on the go from minute 0 and they went attacking and searching for goals. I figure the only team who took it slow and in the end was punished for it was France, who tried a tactical approach to the opening game. In the end, every team went for the kill, as if their lives depended on it. The goals are flying in from all over and few goals can be called "lucky".

Hopefully this trend will last throughout the 4 weeks.:)

paw:)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Paw...

Your comments about the French were harsh.

The team with the worst spirit so far has been Croatia. They were too defensive and their only attackers looked to be just about washed up.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Its been very exciting so far, not many games have been boring. And the most exciting games tend to be the teams that are considered not as good.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Definitely agree, every match has produced goals so far. What has surprised me apart from the Saudis and 1 or 2 others to a lesser extent is how close all the games are.

On the referees, I think generally they have been excellent. Theyve been great in terms of diving and have let the game flow as much as possible. Hope it continues.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
There's been some great upsets, that's for sure. Senegal over France? US over Portugal? Fantastic, historic stuff.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
You are so right, Primo. Upsets by underdogs, as well as beautiful goals in so many games, have made this one of the best WC ever! No more defensive dominant matches! :happy:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wonder how fun the world cup will be once France and Portugal are eliminated:rolleyes:
I'm really lookinf forward to a Senegal- USA world cup final. hurah!:rolleyes: :mad: :depress:

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Well, it is like the NCAA Tournament. The best teams will make the finals, but the "cinderella" teams, the underdogs, make it much more interesting in the early stages.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
So who will be the underdogs that advance to the second round?

WHat are your predictions? I think that they will be the US, Mexico, and Senegal and South Korea are possibilities.

Despite what the Saudi coach says, I don't think they will go through;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts