Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read a quote from former Manchester United/Bayern/Barca player Mark Hughes (now manager of Blackburn Rovers).

He suggested that the EPL should look at appointing foreign refs as he felt there were too many yellow/red cards being shown.

http://www.espnstar.com/epl/newsdetails.cmd?id=7036252

I had a look at this weekends results in the big 3 leagues and the results were as follows:

EPL - 26 Yellow / 0 Red (Man Utd v Arsenal accounted for almost a third of the total).

La Liga - 55 Yellow / 3 Red

Serie A - 48 Yellow / 1 Red

What do you think about the number of cards shown in each league? Too many...Too few...?

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
lmao, he should watch the La Liga more often :D
indeed. in la liga it's disgusting. everything is a yellow card. it by far has the worst referees between the top3 leagues.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
In the EPL the refs rarelly go card crazy which leads to alot of players thinking that some things are allowed when they play in Europe. While in La Liga any contact is a foul.

Both cases are quite extreme and there should be equal standarts in all leagues.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I really like the name of this thread.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
He must have been high. As the stats clearly show, and as I have been saying for ages, the card count in Spain is crazy. And the worst part is, that most of the referees turn a blind eye to the really bad tackles and shirt pulls and elbows. If they were to do their job consistently, with their current perception of how much contact is allowed in the sport, they would be giving out 100 every week.

It is awful.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
There are many examples of stupid refereeing from Primera this season, just take a look at Clos Gómez and his mate Daudén Ibañez, their judgement is absolutely horrendous :dielaugh:

Just take a look at Atlético - Getafe from this season, you'll see 14 yellow cards, 4 red cards of which 2 were given to Atlético and two to the visitors..

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
LOL Spanish football has ceased being a contact sport.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I would suggest a mix of Spanish and English refs in terms of cards. In Spain, the amount of cards is excessive, but I think that the English refs tolerate many violent tackles that go beyond the pure contact.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
The Spanish refs are really a joke though, the slightest contact is deemed a foul and they never let the game flow. There's a difference between trying to protect the players and letting the players act like a bunch of pansies.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
The referee's however, can't be entirely blamed by themselves.

Just take a look at the players who play in Primera División, they're exaggerating every single time they get brought down. It doesn't matter if it's a vicious kick between the legs or a little touch on the shoulder, they act as if they're about to die.

That's something the Spanish football federation has to deal with as well, one good thing would be to hand out suspensions after watching and making a statement on video. The referee's are on a lower level in Spain, but many of the players doesn't really help with their constant diving and acting.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts

Just take a look at the players who play in Primera División, they're exaggerating every single time they get brought down. It doesn't matter if it's a vicious kick between the legs or a little touch on the shoulder, they act as if they're about to die.

That's something the Spanish football federation has to deal with as well, one good thing would be to hand out suspensions after watching and making a statement on video. The referee's are on a lower level in Spain, but many of the players doesn't really help with their constant diving and acting.
you are right and wrong at the same time. the players dont help themselves at all. but the reason they dramatise situations is because they know referees will pull out cards if they clutch their face. sometimes i feel that the referees arent even watching the play, they rely on whoever falls on the floor or the amount of rolling a player does.

but you're right some of the players in la liga are disgusting. guti wouldve got that penalty on sunday had he not acted like a complete ass pretending that his legs got amuptated.

its not just about cards either. id love to see the number of fouls committed in liga compared to epl.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts

Like Red said, the players do those shenanigans because they know the ref will call it anyway so they do the extra flop and twist to make the ref give out a card. Its the only thing that i absolutely detest about the spanish league, if the refs didn't blow the whistle everytime a player just touches his opponet, the players wouldnt have to resort to cheating their way.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
In the 4 Primera games tonight, there were 38 yellow cards and 4 reds handed out. That is about 10 yellows and a red card per game. It is utterly, totally absurd. 'Excessive' doesn't even begin to sum it up. Every game is being run and ruined by the referees.

And Redhat is spot on, if the referees refuse to stop the game every time two players touch each other, the footballers will start to learn and grow some balls out of self interest and preservation. The funny thing is, that I saw a Spanish ref in a European match last year (I think it was Mejuto) and he was letting everything go in that one. Even the blatant stud scraping fouls.

It's like they have an idea of how the game should be played, but they just can't enforce it in the league because they think it's culture now to have a stop-start game.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Obviously the referee who refed the Liverpool Inter Tie 1 allows diving by Torres and a slight nudge by Matrix twice to lead to a red card.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Well really, if a european ref wanted to ref over here, nothing could stop him.

EU afterall.

Its illegal to discrimate just because of their nationality, if theyre the ebst candidate they deserve a job. Of course its very easy to get round with these words "Yes your CV is brilliant, but we jsut dont think your English is upto the standard we need"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts