Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets face it...it hasnt been much...its started well in the group phase but after that the standard of refeering and overall anti-climax matches based on girt and determination rather then skill is taking over..this is the tresult of bias refeering in this tournoment as well as the big teams out..maybe in the top 3 worst world cups in history..the atmosphere lakc of passion due to home fans wearing any shirt they can grab on..half the world watching it at dusk...its very forgettable

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I know referee mistakes have terribly affected the outcomes of the game but saying this woprld cup is not worth anything because you support spain and italy and those teams are gone is belitteling excellent effors of teams like Senegal USA and turkey who have impressed everybopdy with their suprising football and added beauty to the tournament imo.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
the big teams didn't add any great skill or play to the tournament when they were in so alot of the poor overall quality is down to their failings when still participating rather than their subsequent absence IMO

their has been no great games or great match ups that have characterised past world cups - plenty of excitement at times, but nothing that will make me want to watch particular games years after the event like France v Brazil in '86, Holland v Argentina in '98 (etc)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think that it started out fine and I was looking forward to a great WC.

But the referees spoiled it. It's hilarious that a nation who hasn't won a WC-match before is in the semi-finals.

I am really indifferent as I am appalled by this WC and really couldn't care less about it...

It will be remembered like the Olympic Games of 1988 in Korea - a very deep suspecion of corruption - at the least of very dubious refereeing. ( http://www.ajennings.8m.com/boxing.htm )
I watched my first WC (as I can remember) in 1982 and I have never had this sad feeling about it as I have got now.

Will be looking forward to the new season of European Cup football - CL and the UEFA Cup rule international football now! True champs, great players and great referees.

(guess I will be watching Korea become world champions but I won't congratulate them. - it's fixed!)

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
boxing has been a deeply corrupt sport for decades - the fact that cheating occured when the Olympics were held in Korea in 1988 is irrelevant to this in my opinion

the only thing remarkable about it is that this was one time the cheats were caught!

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
This has indeed been a sad World Cup. We haven't seen a lot of great matches like for instance in '98.
The refs have been so fecking poor (I'm really getting tired of mentioning this scandal :(). The top teams haven't played good, why is hard to say, but it hasn't been pretty, quite embarrassing actually :depress:.
Even the atmosphear at the quite beautiful arenas has been very odd and poor. A lot of empty seats and a bunch of boring (no offence) asians has, too be a bit harsh, ruined it. Take a European or South American stadium PACKED not half full, with thousands of shouting, chanting, cheering fans. Now that's atmosphear!

All in all, this World Cup has been a disgrace, and yes I'm not biased here, 'cause Denmark did quite well, and I'm very proud of it.

I won't remember this World Cup in a positive way :depress:. I can't wait till the new season heads off in Europe. The CL, UEFA Cup and the national leagues I miss you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts