Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..yes indeed, it's been 10 years since we made our comeback to international football. To be exact, on the 23rd of december in 1994 we played Brazil away, we lost 2-0 but I remember how ecstatic I was that we were finally back.

Now my question to you all is: What are the things you remember most, good and bad and what match/player/event will you never ever forget? BTW It can also be something that involved your team instead of the NT, since our teams also had a pauze from Europe.

Some Zvezda matches I can't forget:

Zvezda 4-0 Kaiserslautern, we lost 1-0 away and still had to play them in BG, Deki Stankovic only 18 years old at that time scored twice, Njegus and Miodrag Pantelic added the other goals, we won 1-0 in regular time and scored 3 more during extra time.
In the next round we faced Barca and played such a great match against them in BG, we should have won against Ronaldo's Barca at that time but it ended 1-1. Pizon was coach at that time BTW.
Chievo away was also a great match to me, as were some of the derbies, especially the last 5 years or so, guys like Vidic, Milovanovic, Perovic and even Bogavac all grabbed the spotlight by sinking our rivals.

As for the NT, well Hungary always comes back :D, sh!t I thought we were the best side on the planet after I saw that demolition. Other than that I loved how we knocked out the Croats (not trying to flame anyone!) since I do consider them our biggest rivals from former yugo.

How about you guys? Share your best memories and please keep out any kind of provocation and insults of this thread.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Well for the NT, pretty much the same 3 games you mentioned. Though the game with Spain at euro 2000, even though we lost and that comeback against Slovenia with 10 men. We were definitely the most entertaining side at those Euros :D

Zvezda, the season again that you mentioned Drulo. but adding to this the Lazio game at home, just the atmosphere and the homecoming of Miha and Deki and the way we simply outplayed them will also stick out in my mind. Finally not games, that most people will pick out but the Young Boys at the Marakana, as it was my first time watching Zvezda at the Marakana and Leicester away because that was my first game watching zvezda.

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
The game i remember was in world cup 98 against Germany it didnt end so great but the start was superb.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have many games to remember so let me start listing them. The demolition job in the two matches against Hungary in the Play-offs for WC 98. 2-2 tie against Germany in WC 98. The final match in Zagreb against Croatia which ended 2-2 and gave us automatic berth for EURO 2000, All 3 first round games in EURO 2000 for PLAVI, Now for Zvezda, here goes, the 4-0 win against Kaiserslautern, the 1-1 draw at home against Dynamo Kiev even though that meant we were knocked out on aggregate it was still a great atmosphere, and also the 1-1 draw with Barca, as well the 1-1 draw with Lazio, and the home win against Leicester, and the 1-0 win over Celta Vigo a couple years back, u remember Drulic's goal! And I will never forget my first two games that I saw live at the Marakana this summer when Zvezda was qualifying for Champions League, the 3-0 win against Young Boys and the 3-2 win against PSV. Great atmosphere and great play by our boys! Can't say much for our away form though! Also previous summer 2 years ago I also saw my first 2 games for Partizan, when they were qualifying for Champions League as well, those were of course, the 4-0 win at home against Hammarby, in the second round, and the 3-0 loss at home against Bayern Munich, even though we lost, it was a great atmosphere! And i got to see lots of star players from Bayern! It was right after the World Cup! Here's for many more games for out National Team and for our two Top CLUBS!!! CHEERS!!!

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Can anyone forget Euro 2000? The bitter-sweet games against Slovenia and Spain? The first a miraculous comeback but the fact we were 3-0 down a defeating one, while the 2nd an exciting game where we played great but were screwed over in the end? I think those games characterise our team of the past 10 years pretty well.

·
Kfor, Eulex = OUT!!
1,279 Posts
1999 - Yugoslavia knocks out Croatia of a spot at Euro 2000.

2000 - The comebacks to Slovenia, and the drama vs Spain.

There are lots more, but these 2 are the best i think ..

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Well definately what stands out for me is making the CL last year. Following a dissapointing result in the first tie, to win in such dramatic fashion was unbelievable. Who could forget the announcer on Cirkovic's penalty kick, "ajmo milivoje, i gooooool".. Then just the whole experience in the CL, like for the first time hearing the CL theme song played at our stadium. Taking it to Real Madrid in Belgrade, all those chances and unbelievable misses. :( How 'bout the unbelievable turn of events against Sporting? 3-1 win in Portugal, only to lose by the same margin in regular time at home (remember, our fans were suspended and so we played infront of an empty stadium)..Then, in extra time Damir Cakar and Zivkovic of all people come through by scoring and so we advanced. Another few notable mentions go to PFC-Rapid Vienna 1-0, where Bajic scored in the 90th minute of a header from a corner. Our beating of Newcastle the first time, Rasovic's penalty kick. :cool: PFC-Rijeka 3-0 in Croatia, infront of a packed house and a terrific atmosphere by the Rijeka fans.

Well those are some things to come to mind, hopefully I can add tomorrow's match to this list as well..:D

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey you even beat Dinamo once, Isailovic I think it was who scored, but man oh man did you guys crash and burn over there. :D

The year we played Leicester and Celta we had a very decent team, too bad we fielded 2 suspended players over there in Vigo, otherwise we could have perhaps made spring in Europe. And indeed, Drulic was on fire in that period and that's when he made the transfer to Zaragoza.

As for the NT, I remember a friendly we played against Nigeria, who were a very good side at that time and we beat them 3-0 in BG, with some terrific play. Also, the away match against the Czechs when Drulovic got through on the left and launched Savo who scored the winner in injurytime.

So if we recap, what big/decent nations have we beaten? We beat the Czechs, Nigeria, Argentina (away in a friendly with our B-squad), Ireland, Russia, Romania, Greece :D, Belgium, Uruguay, Japan and Korea. That's a decent list I'd say. We should have also beaten the Germans and the Italians in particular.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Drulo said:
Hey you even beat Dinamo once, Isailovic I think it was who scored, but man oh man did you guys crash and burn over there. :D
Yeah man, but I must admit allowing 9 goals in back-to-back European matches, even exceeds that! Now that's some memory for you ;)

·
Premium Member
27,256 Posts
Parni Valjak said:
Yeah man, but I must admit allowing 9 goals in back-to-back European matches, even exceeds that! Now that's some memory for you ;)
You would've done the same that year Dinamo beat you if only you had the chance. ;)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The only major thing that happened during tha past decade in our football is the total collapse of once European power-house - Red Star. Those few good things that have happened during that time (participations of the NT in the WC 1998 and EURO2000 and Partisan's recent international "success") are minor in magnitude compared to how bad Red Star has become since early 1990s.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
One of the biggest casualties of the Yugoslav wars was our domestic/national football. But we are still doing better then the other former Yugo republics in lieu of Croatia's success in WC98

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Games which I have a fond memories of :

1) Yugo - Hungary (playoff)
Dayum ! We wooped those fools. Talk about rape in a football match, the boys didn't stop penetrating 'til the last minute. Mijat was phenomenal, scored like 7 out of the 12 goals in the 2 games.
2) Yugo - Czech Rep.
Both of the games in the WC98 qual. group were awesome games. I believe we beat them both times, once through our super sub Savo Milosevic (super sub at that time anyway) in Czech , and the other time I believe Mijat netted the only goal for a 1-0 win at the Marakana.
3) Zvezda - Kaiserslautern/Barca
The match against Kaiserslautern was awesome ! I was in Germany at the time, and the next morning all papers were printing stuff about Stankovic the "wonder boy". This is the same year (I believe) when Kaiserslautern was promoted from the 2nd leauge, and went on to win the Bundesliga ! Crazy stuff. The game against Barca was frustrating, but nevertheless ... we played great ! Their squad was full of stars from Figo to Ronaldo, and we still managed to outplay them soundly. The result didn't reflect the way the match went.
4) Yugo - Germany
Pretty exciting game, no ? Remember every detail about that match, started off with a goal by Mijat/Stankovic, then took a commanding 2:0 lead with a goal by Kova, set up by Piksi. However, the game turned quickly with a Tarnat (I believe it was Tarnat) free-kick which was deflected by Miha for an own-goal...and then Bierhoff =| That guy wouldn't go away, I lost 10 years of my life waiting for the ref to blow the whistle while Germany was taking corners trying to find Bierhoff's head.
5) Partizan - Dinamo
No, I didn't enjoy the 6-0 plumming the Grobari received in Zagreb , but I did enjoy the 1-0 win (and a great game) in Beograd. Prior to the game they were showing these clips from Croats who were preparing to watching the game in a bar, and they were saying how they could only have 11 Serbs in Zagreb for the return match or all hell would be loose. Needless to say, it made me sick to my stomach and as much as I dislike them, I don't remember cheering on a team as hard as I did for Partizan that day. When Isailovic scored late in the game, I was proud of Partizan for the first time ever...but they were quick to return to their old selves, and embarassed themselves in a fashion not seen frequently in European soccer.

There were a lot more games I enjoyed, and there are definitely some I didn't mention on here that were more important than the ones I did ... but, I can't think of anything right now.

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
When Isailovic scored late in the game, I was proud of Partizan for the first time ever...but they were quick to return to their old selves, and embarassed themselves in a fashion not seen frequently in European soccer.
Yes at least we only had this happen to us this year you grobari have had your share of 5 or 6 nothing blowouts :pp

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Here are mine:
#1: Partizan-Dinamo Zagreb in Belgrade -Great Game all around
#2: Slovenia-Yugo (Euro 2000)- all i can say is wow
#3: Partizan Newcastle 1-0 (CL Qualifiers) - historical win
#4 Spain-Yugo (Euro 2000) -damnit but good
#5 Real Madrid-Partizan(CL) -just seeing our team come out at the Bernabeu and hold their own...

·
Banned
852 Posts
Fleka said:
One of the biggest casualties of the Yugoslav wars was our domestic/national football. But we are still doing better then the other former Yugo republics in lieu of Croatia's success in WC98
and how is that? Take out our success in WC98 and we still have beaten better teams and have qualified to major championships more often.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
That game was pure amazing!!

It's a shame we were screwed out of it by a crappy ref who added on like 10 minutes of injury time but I suppose that it one of the reasons why it stands out the last minute drama and not knowing whether we were through or not.

Let's just hope we get payback come March time.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Dusan_UK said:
That game was pure amazing!!

It's a shame we were screwed out of it by a crappy ref who added on like 10 minutes of injury time but I suppose that it one of the reasons why it stands out the last minute drama and not knowing whether we were through or not.

Dont forget the crappy penalty decision against us

1 - 20 of 21 Posts