Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone read(ing) this book?c I picked it up today and just read the first two chapters so far and it is easily the most fvcked thing ever. I thought Catcher in the Rye was a bit nuts, this book is completely messed up. Wow. I can't believe they let them show a movie based on this book in theaters. Should be retitled 'A Clockwork Thisnoveliscompletelyinsanesoistheauthor'.

·
1st Tier Poster
48,633 Posts
The book was good (and not even close to being most insane book ever - I would give this title to J.G. Ballard's The Unlimited Dream Company ). Clockwork Orange had this nice element of raw, brutal reality mixed with the general feeling of absurdity.If you think about it, the whole character of Alex is intentionally messed up, his whole path throughout the storyline is illogical and absurd (especially the end, where he, back to his old self, suddenly decides to "grow up" - too bad Kubrick left it out from the movie).
About the movie...I liked the book more.Kubrick is excellent director and I'm a big fan of his work, but this movie did not impressed me that much.The mentality of the movie was quite different from the book, more playful and avantgarde.It somehow seemed that Kubrick had betrayed the mentality of Burgess' book to make the screenplay more suitable for his needs of visual perfection.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
It's a wonderful book, and the film is one of my faves of all time, even though it did stray from the books theme.. but really, artistic freedom is a thing you can't deny from Kubrick - he'll go to great lengths to achieve his own individualistic aesthetics, and it's best left that way. Perhaps he should have titled it differently..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts