Xtratime Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did any of you read the article in Milliyet about the Turkish NT? It is concerning religion, so it is a bit controversial, but since it is related to the World Cup, I think we can give it a try.:)

What the article basically says is this : Hakan Sukur, Emre, and a few other players (Arif, Hasan, Okan, Bulent, Fatih, and Ergun) wanted to go to a mosque on the Friday they spent in Hong Kong. Senol Gunes did not want the players to go to the mosque because he thought it would create a divide between the religious and less religious players.

Among the players who did not go were Yildiray, Serhat, Tayfun, and Ilhan. Emre and Hakan asked that Serhat, Tayfun, and Ilhan be dropped from the squad (presumably their abscence from the mosque being the sole reason). Tayfun was surprisingly dropped, as was Serhat ( a bit more expected), while Ilhan was on the roster.

In Korea, Hakan asked that an imam lead prayers. Once again, Gunes thought this would create a divide between the religious players and the less religious ones. In the end, as a result of pressure from Hakan, an imam was brought in from Seoul.

In the Brazil match and in the Costa Rica match, many people thought that Ilhan was frozen out by Hasan and Emre. In other words, he was not given any passes. Moreover, Yildiray was taken out in the 65th-70th minute in both matches. Some observers believe this ridiculous substituion was meant to appease Hakan and Emre.

Do you guys think that these theories are viable and what are your opinions towards this situation?

Thanks for your time:)

:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think this all a load of BULL to be honest... They're all professionals and I think they all respect each others beliefs. If some players are religiously intollerant then I don't think that they'd go and play in, say, Italy which is a Catholic country! COME ON!!!

These players have been playing together for years, why would attitudes towards each other (based on religion) suddenly change?

Articles like this are what will lead to divisions, not only amongst our players, but amongst us all.

Besides, Islam teaches tolerance and respect towards all faiths and peoples beliefs, so any muslim who is intolerant and disrespectful is actually going against Islam.

It's easy for us (including myself) to get sucked into what we see, hear and read... Sometimes all we need to do is stop and think about it for ourselves... Then we'll see what is true and what is not!

Besides the team is "Türkiye", not "Islam" or "Atheists" or what ever, so religion shouldn't come into it at all.... Maybe I'm being naive, but one thing I'm sure of is that our players don't think like that...

"Oh I won't pass to him, coz he didn't go to the mosque in Hong Kong"

I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it is one of three options for me.

1) The Milliyet writers are trying to stir up some controversy and coordinate their made-up stories, using a conspiracy theory. However, they must have done a pretty good job of colluding with their conspiracy theory because an article appeared the next day, saying the same thing happened at Galatasaray, until Fatih Terim intervened.

2) It is made-up by the authors solely as a result of what may have happened at Galatasaray with the same group of players. It could also be used as a way to undermine Gunes, and once again show how Terim would have done a better job.

3) Parts of the story are true, but there are some great exaggerations with exactly how serious the problem is, and what the reaction of the players were to those who did not go to the mosque.

HOwever, there is one disconcerting thing that make me wonder what is going on. Why the hell is Yildiray substituted out of every game, while Hakan is allowed to struggle:confused:

NOw this tactical change most likely has nothing to do with religion, but the tactical mistakes of Gunes seem to give more viability to the claims of the authors. At the very least, it does not disprove that something strange is going on.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
We really do have some ridiculous people in Turkey. Why oh why do they always go off on tangents when it concerns a sport??

The first one you may have read was Haluk Ulusoy's stupid reaction to the Korean referee (regarding the soldiers we sent). And then this from the media.:rolleyes:

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
I dont believe this **** either. It is just some writer who wants to get things fired up. As usual some ******* like that comes forward all the time.
I have the exact same idea.

They thought that NT wouldn't qualify to next round. So, they took the responsibility of finding somebody to blame and made up this story.

Similar things happened in Fenerbahce, they claimed that Oguz and Aykut and some other players who transfered from Sakarya was a group and they wouldn't let anybody rule out the group.
It was just a story that some crazy guy made up, then hearing it again and again people start believing.:rolleyes:

Anyway, it's a shame that media uses such sensitive topics to promote their work:yuck:

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
HakanK said:

The first one you may have read was Haluk Ulusoy's stupid reaction to the Korean referee (regarding the soldiers we sent). And then this from the media.:rolleyes:
That was the most stuid comment I have heard. I cant even cmment on it cz its just so sad.

What disappoints me is having such people on the top levels of the society hierarchy. This is what Turkey needs to change.

They never knew how good Senes Erzik is. He is excellent. I am sp proud of him and they try to criticize him. Isnt that so funny?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts