Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I should have come up with this topic 2 days ago but I was away from home.I also understand that a lot of you are Italian fans and that's normal, everybody supports their native team.
I have always supported teams that had the creativness in their game.I'm a lifelong Brazil fan 'cause they play best football in the world.Lazio is the team who plays most creative soccer in Italy.Also, in Spain my fav team is Real Madrid, and in England it's Arsenal.So, the teams that play most beautiful football in their respective leagues.On Euro 2000 I supported Holland and Portugal.
My opinion is that Italy's victory is a step back for the game.Why? Just look how much the football has improved from last year.In the CL, 98-99 final was played by 2 unattractive sides: Bayern and Manchester.And in this year Spaniards and their attractive style dominated (Real, Valencia and Barca).And in Serie A the inspiration of Lazio has prevailed over ugly game of Juve.In Euro all went well 'till the semis (especially the group in which Portugal and Romania totally outplayed and outclassed Germany and England).But Italy-Holland game could affect game in a way that everyone could start playing like Italy did, knowing it could eventually pay off.That's the only reason for which I hope that France will beat Italy in style :)
It's a bit silly topic but I just had to write this o)
FORZA LAZIO!!!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Itali or France

I would not say thet is" a big step back" but this is not
very good for football.Holland was better but Italy won the
game.Italy knowed thet they can not score a goal with 10man on the field so they played hard and Holland was not able to score that 1 goal.
As for Champions league , this year was the best in the history.
There were so many superb games: Arsenal-Barcelona,
Real- Bayern, Valencia-Lazio :mad: and Valencia -Barca.
I hope thet next season it would be iven better and thet Lazio will win it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dino, the "attractive style" by Valencia is actually the same as Italy is using. Defending with many players, and then fast counter-attacks with Claudio Lopez (Valencia) and Inzaghi or Delvecchio (Italy).

And if you want to judge Italy, do it in the 4 games when they were able to play 11 against 11. Not when they had to play against the home team with only 10 players for about 85 minutes. What would you have done as coach ? would you have told the Italian players to attack and let Overmars and Zenden (both very slow players :rolleyes: ) get spaces where they could run and score or create an opportunity form someone else ??

Italy is not playing the most spectacular football in the championship, that could anyone say. But look at the qualities the team has, they have great defenders and great goalkeeper. In the attack there are world class players although Vieri is not available. The weak part of Italy is the midfield, the part of the team that should keep the ball possension, but the Italian midfield doesn't have the qualities to keep the ball possension like France, Holland or Portugal. The Italian midfield is not good enough, it's not harder than so to say it.

I think that instead of complaining about a team that is playing after their qualities, trying to do their best to reach some good results we should give our compliments to the coach who took this team to the final although no one thought they would pass the first round. And the players who are fighting for each other, to win this tournament although some of them (midfielders) know that they are far away from the class that Zidane, Figo and others have. Compliments to these players who knows they are not the best in the world but that are doing their best for their team and their country !

FORZA ITALIA !

http://Laziomania.socceralliance.com

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
If Italy wins then not only Seria A but football in general will take about 600 steps back...

If Italy proves cantenaccio is alive most teams in Seria A next year will play 8-1-1 with some attacking minded emplying the exiting 7-2-1...

Catenaccio is dead and should stay this way...

ALLEZ LE BLUES!

·
Ronny
1,698 Posts
Oh Stop It You Guys! is it Italy's fault that Italy missed 5 Penalty Kicks and haven't been Able to score during 120 minutes to a 10 Men Team?!
Holland got it all served on a plate: They've played with a player more, got 2 Penalty Kicks. What else can you ask?!
Italy won that game with Honesty. i disagree Italy were defensing the whole game. They had their attacks, and the The italians were shown in the Midfield and they did some great things there.

IT IS NOT ITALY'S FAULY HOLLAND FAILED TO WIN!!!

FORZA ITALIA!!!!

Italy 1 France 0
Del Piero, 87'

:)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lets just hope Italy acctually tries to win the game by scoring goals, and not just wait for France to make a mistake. One thing is for sure, if italy concede a penalty tomorrow France will put in the back of the net (Zidane). I am with Amoroso regarding this topic, and I hope France wins, with Zizou scoring. :)

I hope juve plays more attractive football as well next season.

Forza Juve

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I can only speak for myself but I thought that the Holland - Italy game was quit good :) Italy doesn´t have a team like Holland ( with no wings and only 1 creative midfielder ). Italy plays to their abilities and they fight like lions :) Brazil is always hailed for their Zamba football but it wasn´t until they played extremely defensiv ( wc94 ) that they where able to win ( in recent years ) and I also find Brazils sideway passing extremely boring :( !!

Right now the team that plays the most attractive and complete football is Argentina because they are the only team that can combine counter attacking with ball possession. When Argentina plays it´s a display of power - speed and extreme individual skills. I´m predicting a landslide win at home against Brazil ( away too for that matter ).

Back to Gli Azzuri: Sometimes it´s as fun watching a great defence as a great offense and if Italy could only find 2 great midfielder to help Fiore all things would end well.

·
Ronny
1,698 Posts
I couldn't put it better myself svennis, i 100 percent agree.
When i play soccer i play as a defender\sweeper, so it's great for me to look at Italy's perfect game of defence. I for instance like to see a better defence than a better offence.
I donno what about you but i wouldn't wanta final finishing 7-6 to someone.
Italy is just what we need. They'll make the game even.

again, I'm backing svennis all the way on this way. The smartest thing i've heard in a very long time.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am with Italy tonight. Please stop Zidane and you have the
win (no offense,Amo).France is better ,but i hope in Italy.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to see that someone actually agrees :)
I also have to say this: Holland have the big share of guilt for failing to win against Italy, and France will have the bigger share if they fail today.
I mean no disrespect for Italy.They did what they have to do.I just mean it's not good for the game that someone wins Euro semifinal that way :(
And no offence to Scandinavians, but did you noticed that 3 Scandinavian teams scored 3 (three) goals in 9 games. Come on! They should be banned for that kind of play.
Also, where is Italian football if they can't pick 3 decent midfielders from the world's strongest league.
Also, Mattias I wouldn't agree that Italy and Valencia play same kind of football.Valencia are defending with 10 players but they are attacking with 8.Italy defends with 10, and attacks with 1 or 2.And Valencia counters includes some great touches and I personally enjoy to watch their transition from defence to attack.Italy counters are just "kick it upfield!" :(
FORZA LAZIO!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dino,
I told you to not look at the last game Italy played.
Look at the others and you will see that Italy attacks with at least 4 players in their counter attacks !
It's not fair to judge a team when they play with 10 players.

And pick 3 decent midfielder ???
why do you think Italian teams have foreigners on the playmaker position ???
Lazio - Veron
Juve - Zidane
Milan- Boban (Leonardo)
Inter - Seedorf
Parma - Ortega (at least that was what they hoped for)
Fioretina - Rui Costa

good luck to find some midfielders ...

FORZA ITALIA !!

http://Laziomania.socceralliance.com

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A big step forward for tactics

I would like to say that italy vs holland to most people was boring, why? for reasons:

- no goals in the 120 min

- holland attacked all the time and italy defended depending on counter attacks and the opponents mistakes.

- The italian pitch area was filled with players, there were not much of space to see great football

- Italy didnt produce good attacks

- The match ended in penalties

But to me the match was great for the following:

- The match was not just between the players but between the couches. It more of a technical match that you can learn alot from

- The red card to Zambrotta changed the whole match to a phsycological and technical game

-First the dutch were thinking the task was easen and they are close to scoring, but the italians with zoff taking drastic measures to close gaps and defend in a great way to the point that at the end of the match with all the dutch attacks proven fruitless and mainly 2 penalties lost the italians had the phsycological advantage with no pressure at all coming in the game no being the favourites and playing in holland.

- This all can be seen from the impression on the faces of both teams, the italians were happy, the dutch were unstable, which all lead the results.

- The penalties showed the skills of the players, Toldo was the best, and i find Toti's shot to be best penalty goal.

Certainly I enjoyed the match and didnt find it boring.
FORZA ITALY!

I would to conclude that the italians are cunning in their football tactics, this will give then the upperhand today against france, but keep inmind france got the best three lines when it comes to football communication. The match today will be great. :D

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Cruyff but his words before that sf really ring true:
"Italy will not beat Holland, but we are able to lose from them."
That really says it.

Italy is just playing their typical game. No real surprise. But Holland (the players), sad to say, learnt the wrong thing from their trashing of Yugo. They got so many chances yet they let them all go away. Rijkaard himself said it, it was their own fault...
Well perhaps you can say that if Italy wins WITH catenaccio then it's a backward step for attacking football, which after the 'boring' period of 90-96 has seen its revival in this Euro. But so far in this tournament, apart from Italy, the teams playing with defensive tactics were punished. Italy's doing what they're best at.
I prefer attacking teams but sometimes just for variety we need teams like Italy. And well, they haven't won any major trophy for 18 years (in fact, 32 years since their last Euro trophy). So perhaps their time is due now. The other 'big' teams haven't experienced that long a drought... Brazil 94, Argentina 86, Germany 96, France 98, Holland 88... Compare with Italy's 82 (and 68).
And Maldini will retire once Italy wins something :D

As for Italy's counter-attacks : not exactly my favorite. I prefer other teams' counter attacks, impress me more. But we can't dispute their defence + Toldo in this tournament.
Non-Azzuri fans, just think of it this way: If Italy succeeds here, it may be many years later for them to lift another trophy :)

Forza Lazio
(Lazio's style is different from Azzuri's style :) )

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holland was playing with 11 and Italy with 10 players,so it was normal for Italy to try to defend them self.
Yugoslavia also played like Italy, but they don't know to how to play defence and Holland scored 6:rolleyes:
Italy is team who knows how to play defence and they have done their best.They won the game.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Mattias, firstly there is no way we are not going to look at the last game Italy played..so you want us to look at the games they played against Turkey (they were even going to fail to win..) Belgium.....Sweden.....no offence to people from these countries...but these teams we really really bottom of the line....compare Italy to Portugal against Turkey....Italy was lucky.
Anyway looking at the last game because it was the toughest game Italy had to play and it was the most boring match i have seen in a lifetime...well you can say Juve is boring but Italy is worse....
Zambrotta was sent off on the 33rd minute...that's 33 minutes to do something....during that whole period Van del Saar was taking a nap.....he did not touch the ball...and Italy had 11 men...The Italians are in this competition to play Catennacio and if France does not score early then we better take our blankets with us to the final.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Our point is not Italy-Holland.I dont exaclty blame Italy for defending against Holland.BUT I blmae them for playing exactly this way against half Romania,Turkey,Belgium and even Sweden! teams that not only couldnt hurt them but if Italy had decide to play football they would have won more easy than they did now.

Mattias,its not true that if Zoff wants he cant find good midfielders...Fuser-Tacchinardi-Totti-Fiore.here is a good and creative midfield line.Along with the exelent defence and the good attack Italy could easily be a team tht would impress.But no,Zoff chose midfielders like Zambrotta and Pessotto to play this boring defenceve style.Some people like it,I personally detest it because small teams play like that.

The Holland-Italy game was not boring because it was a semi final.Had it been a group game we would be all fall asleep because the Dutch would not risk so much.

All you who support catenaccio,try to imagine both teams of a game playing the same style as Italy...boring? more than that..get ready however because thats what we will see in Seria A next season if Italy wins the Euro...

·
International
6,519 Posts
Well, it's hilf time now. First half, Italia played more offensive, had a couple of chances, but i think it will b very hard to score on each side. Henry is VERY dangerous, Iuliano and Cannavardo got a yellow card for making fouls on hin, Delvecchio and Totti are dangerous too. Italy is playing the best match on this Euro 2000. Very good football, but I want Goals (from Italy of course :))

1 - 17 of 17 Posts