Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I am sorry but I couldn't read past the first paragraph. I am extremely happy with Milan. He gives 200% every match, wears his heart on his sleeve and chases down every ball. And his finishing and ball control have improved by leaps and bounds since when he first arrived. And though there have been noises that he isn't a team player, there are good indications that he has been working to improve the 'passing in the opponent's box' aspect of his game. That pass to Mellor was a good example.

IMO, Baros is an excellent player for the future!

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
I read it, however, this forum was the forum which praised GH tactics till the last day of his stay at Anfield. Its good to see Paul Tomkins to add some sanity to the matter. The impression I get from some of the posters is no matter who Benitez plays, its never gonna be as good as "Fowler, Owen etc". The doubters says he is not quite there but the reasons are weak. Yes Milan is selfish, but which striker who is worth his bag in goals isn't? Strange they say Milan is selfish and Owen is better bleh bleh. Owen is just as selfish, that's why he scored so many goals. Selfish strikers scores goals, Romario, Gilardino, Inzaghi, Trez, Shev, etc.

If we want to build our team around someone who scores goals, unselfish, brilliant, consistant and a leader like Michel Platini, there are only 3 current STRIKERS whom I can think of who does that, Francesco Totti and Ronandinho and Raul and it will take an awful lot of money to get them.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
No need to argue with those people Karr, few posters make sense there. If they doubt Baros, I do not know what they even want. They are just bitter that Baros is not the 'real deal'. They got indoctrinated by the previous regime mantra of 'teamwork, togetherness' etc that they failed to notice the value of a selfish striker who scores goals. Obviously they will cheer louder for a Heskey Passback than a Baros selfish strike on goal. When they started off, they praised Heskey as a good player because of his excellent teamwork, till it became painfully obvious that his 'passing back' to his teammates is getting less and less to the point of pathetic, than they cannot defend him anymore.

Yes, just a little more passing and teamwork will make Baros a much better player and I look forward to that, but I do not want it to become a doubt in his mind and hamper his natural game which is simple to put the damn ball into the back of the net. Marco Van Basten will not be half the player he was if he was not selfish.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:
If we want to build our team around someone who scores goals, unselfish, brilliant, consistant and a leader like Michel Platini, there are only 3 current STRIKERS whom I can think of who does that, Francesco Totti and Ronandinho and Raul and it will take an awful lot of money to get them.
Theirry Henry?

Baros is better than the original article gives him credit for IMO. Not world class, but a very good player for any team. Bit like Louis Saha.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose you read my post there Mindy. Well, wasn't arguing even, just thought I'd help clearing the waters abt the little debate. Anyway, john_mac's point was that he couldn't understand why there is a Meelan-mania, because to him Milan isn't some one AS special AS the Saint and the God. He's saying this because he feels that the Meelan-mania is almost like the Owen-mania or the Robbie-mania. I thought that was his point and I tried to reason out why such an adoration would exist.

Honestly, I think Milan can thrive playing in an expansive and possesive team, like how Rafa is TRYING TO BUILD (afraid some non-Pool fans would come here and diss me if I wrote "like how we are playing right now", but I'm not that naive to not know that we are not really playing like that...yet :D).

Eto's plays in a similiar way, at least in the role of a lone striker that is, he drifts out to the left and takes on defenders. Or when its a counter, he'll go alone. He seldom waits for support UNLESS its a TEAM counter where he can link-up well with Ronnie and Deco.

Milan doens't link up well yet, but he does the same thing down the right. We don't see Eto running past defenders as often as Milan does because Spanish clubs are better tactically. Both have the killer instinct of going by themselves, and both have the pace , power and skill to do so.

With time (and money...and new players :p), Baros would eventually be a version (better or not, it is a matter of opinion) of what Eto is to Barca now. He's 23, young and flying, and with Rafa, a wily and intelligent middle-aged coach, I won't be surprised if Baros changes his mind and chooses to stay after this season.

As far as I'm concerned, I jump like mad when he scores, and that's what counts ;)

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
SuicideDD said:
Theirry Henry?

Baros is better than the original article gives him credit for IMO. Not world class, but a very good player for any team. Bit like Louis Saha.
Like Louis Saha? :rollani: thats an insult IMO Louis Saha is nothing but a squad player where as Baros would probably walk into your team.

The article is a good objective view imo, not everyone can agree, RAWK is a good site with respectable members. I don't agree with the article but I think its fair enough maybe abit harsh.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
Like Louis Saha? :rollani: thats an insult IMO Louis Saha is nothing but a squad player where as Baros would probably walk into your team.
:D

Yeah.....He'd certainly displace Ruud and Rooney. Even Smith.

He's a Saha - a squad player.

Two of your players would get into our team IMO.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Luis Saha might be a squad player to you SM ONLINE, but considering who the other strikers he's competing with -Ruud, Rooney, Ole Gunnar & Smith-, I'd say its great that he makes it to the subs bench regularly.

Even if Baros is at Man Utd now, I'd still pick Ruud & Rooney as my starting strikers myself, and depending on the opponent, choose between Smith & Baros if the chips were down.

You're spot on abt RAWK, it does rawk sometimes, esp with Paul T's articles. The posters there too are quite reasonable generally, unlike talklfc.com where they joke around a lot (not to say its not fun :D).

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
@karma- i prefere talklfc to rawk although I post on neither (used to post on rawk)

SuicideDD said:
:D

Yeah.....He'd certainly displace Ruud and Rooney. Even Smith.

He's a Saha - a squad player.

Two of your players would get into our team IMO.
Ruud is injured, and Baros is better then Rooney IMO, maybe biased but I still think Rooney is raw potential.

Whos that then? Gerrard and Alonso?
If I was to make a Liverpool, ManU team it would be.

GK) Dudek

RB) Finnan (it was Neville i changed)
CB) Rio
CB) Carra
LB) Heinze

RM) Ronaldo
CM) Gerrard
CM) Alonso
LM) Garcia

ATT) RVN
ATT) Baros

7 Liverpool 4 ManUre, Morientes will replace RVN when he signs :D

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Liverpool United would be:

Howard/Kirky

Finnan Rio Carra Heinze

Ronaldo Gerrad Alonso Giggs

Ruud Baros

Subs: Scholes, Ole Gunnar, Kewell (at his best), G.Neville, Traore, Brown, Rooney

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Henry is a choker :D .

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No he's not, he just scores in small games. :D The opposite of what Zidane does, which is scoring in big games.

No wonder many were licking their lips when Zidane and Henry would be palying together for France. If they play Brazil, Zidane would score, if they play Denmark, henry would score :D

The best ever strike-pairing in the world :dielaugh: :pp

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
karrmadamaii said:
My Liverpool United would be:

Howard/Kirky

Finnan Rio Carra Heinze

Ronaldo Gerrad Alonso Giggs

Ruud Baros

Subs: Scholes, Ole Gunnar, Kewell (at his best), G.Neville, Traore, Brown, Rooney
karrmadamaii said:
Even if Baros is at Man Utd now, I'd still pick Ruud & Rooney as my starting strikers myself, and depending on the opponent, choose between Smith & Baros if the chips were down.
Aren't you contradicting yourself?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NO I'm not, the earlier argument was an objective comparison between Saha at United and Baros at United.

In the case of my Liverpool United side, I choose which players I like :D And in cse you don't know, I like Baros ;)

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I saw them having this conversation at TalkLFC recently, and the average was about 8 of ours 3 of yours.

Mine would be:

----------Carroll-------------

G.Nev----Rio-----Carragher---Heinze

-----Scholes-Gerrard-Alonso----

Ronaldo-------------------Rooney

-------------Ruud-------------

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
@karma- o right ok then :D

in that case, just wondering wouldn't you take Garcia or Kewell over Giggs whos past it to be fair

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I've always liked Giggs for what he was, not for for what he is right now. Every player grows old SM, but that doesn't mean that they not good at it ;)

To me, all three (Giggs, Kewell and Garcia) has the ability to get pass ppl, but between them, Giggs is the only one who can do so with skill AND with pace. Kewell, at his best, can squirm past Stam if he wants to, but he can't do so with pace, which is why he plays further up front and centrally back in his Leeds days, where after gettign past the DM or the CB, he'll end up right in front of the penalty box for a thru pass, or for a shot at goal. Garcia, well...he's a little enigmatic to me. For all his nice little touches and lay-offs and knack of getting into good scoring positions, his tendency to lose 'it' at the vital moment frustrates me. And he doesn't the threatening effect on opponents, like how Giggs and Ronaldo has. When Giggs/Ronaldo has the ball, you know you'll be in deep shit, but when Garcia has the ball, you don't really get that "danger" feeling.

;)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyways, here's a little variation of my Liverpool United side:

Howard/Kirky

Finnan Rio Carra Heinze/Riise

--------Gerrard Alonso------

-----------Scholes---------

Ronaldo---------Giggs/Kewell

----------Ruud/Baros-------

It be great watching this team play. Bring on the Arse!!!!!!!! Even better, bring on the Chelski!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts