Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Arsenal-Mania.com:

Last season I wrote a piece comparing the team with the (almost undefeated) team of 1991, and maybe now might be a good time to take it forward a year because it's been on my mind all week.

For those not old enough (or not sober enough!) to remember the early 90's, 1990/91 was an amazing season. Champions with only one defeat, it was the lowest number of defeats since Preston's Invincibles in the League's first season. Ironically, we also reached the FA Cup semi final in both seasons, but let's just leave that, eh? The title of this article, by the way, was the title of the 91/92 end of season video.

Actually there are more similarities. Both times we had won the league two years earlier by beating the pre-eminent team of the era at their own ground. Both times that team had come back the season after to regain the title, which only seemed to push Arsenal to higher levels and show a level of league invincibility unheard of in the modern game.

Now it'll probably come as no surprise if I tell you that as usual we didn't receive anything like the recognition our achievements deserved, but in the summer of 1991 and the summer of 2004 Arsenal fans looked forward to the new season with well judged optimism.

And both times by early February the title dream appeared over, and a weight seemed to lift off the players. Hopefully we've reached that watershed with the performance against Villa, but in 1992 it was an amazing home game against Sheffield Wednesday when the clouds lifted. After about 70 minutes of not very exciting football the score was 1-1 and goal scorer Alan Smith was replaced by Kevin Campbell. Although Campbell had been almost talismanic in the '91 run in, he'd failed to perform in a side that had stuttered all season, and the fans who'd only seen Arsenal win three of the last fifteen games weren't exactly expecting a miracle.

The change, however, was instant. Playing a style of blitzkrieg football that even the present side would find hard to equal, everything clicked into place and the goals rained in. Amazingly in the last twenty minutes the score went from 1-1 to 7-1 with Arsenal tearing Wednesday apart at will. The records quote the attendance at 26,805, but not one of us will ever forget one of the most amazing spell of football Highbury has ever seen.

Suddenly the team had its confidence back, and without the pressure we won nine of our last fourteen scoring 38 goals. Unfortunately it was too late to make a real impact on the title race and the fact that the general consensus in the press was that we'd have won the league if the season had been one month longer was scant consolation to be honest. Three months of amazing football, but unfortunately nothing to play for.

And that's where this season is so different. For a start there's the league. I won't accept we're out of it until it's a mathematical fact, and until then we've got to keep playing with the assumption that the race is still on. If we can go on a run and maybe Chelsea take their eye off the ball once or twice then a victory for us at their place would put us close enough to them for them to worry. And who's to say that when it comes to the run in they won't crack? I mean the last time they were involved at the death their pensioners were young bucks in the full flow of lifes great adventure.

And there's the 'Robben factor'. He has been talismanic for Chelsea this season in much the same way Robért Píres was for us in '02, but they need someone to step up like Freddie did. It might all seem like wishful thinking to some of you, but as far as I'm concerned it's the only way we should be thinking.

Then there are the cups. Even if we can't haul back the deficit in the league, we're still in two rather large cup competitions. There's absolutely no reason to suppose our squad isn't capable of winning one or both of them, and continued league form is the best platform for that. The team has got to keep fighting until there's nothing left to fight for.

In 1992 we were didn't get going soon enough to net any trophies, but this year we can. And the Kevin Campbell? Well why not Robin van Persie? Young, gifted, tough, and you wouldn't want to take either of them on in a street fight!

The season is not over, not by a long way.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
we know its not over, if we win the Cl, that woul be the clubs biggest achievment, and the 2nd best year in our history,/

·
Registered
398 Posts
Slow down mate. Let's see if we beat Bayern first. I have to say I am getting slightly optimistic though. I think that if we priortise the CL we may have a decent chance.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
with edu back in the team, hes fresh and should us what we were missing, i think we have an ok shot, but the team were facing is tricky.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
One game at a time Gooners.

Face a lot of the time success in the CL comes down to plain old lady luck.

I just hope she's a Gooner this year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts