Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

9 FINALS

The key to winning the league is at Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford and Robin Van Persie's fitness.

Four matches at home, five away - two of those at Chelsea and Manchester United. 27 points at stake. As a minimum, Emirates Stadium must continue to be a fortress in which every single point is won. Our recent three consecutive draws have left the league wide open. Chelsea and Manchester United are growing in confidence, are the Arsenal ready for one last fight?

Matchday 30: ARSENAL - MIDDLESBOROUGH (15-03-2008)

There's no better place than home when you're trying to end a recent slump, and there's no better team to face than a Boro side low on confidence after two league defeats and an FA Cup exit. Everything here points to a home win, and let's face it, there's no alternative but to win if we're serious about winning this title.

Matchday 31: CHELSEA - ARSENAL (23-03-2008)

"Super Sunday", as SKY has dubbed it, takes place a week on Sunday. Manchester United host a resurgent Liverpool squad who would love nothing more than to dent their Northwest rivals' title challenge. In the late kick-off, Arsenal go to Chelsea, looking to end the West London club's three-year unbeaten home record. Chelsea are there for the taking, Avram doesn't have a clue when the heat is turned up in the kitchen and if we're going to win the title we'll have to win at either Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford. This is a must-win.

Matchday 32: BOLTON - ARSENAL (29-03-2008)

The first of four matches against teams in or hovering around the relegation zone. A potential banana skin, especially with the QF of the CL in midweek. We've already dropped points in places like this, so even a win at Chelsea will prove fruitless unless the points from the Reebok are in the bag. Five years ago, we handed the title to United with a draw here. Arsene must ensure History does not repeat itself.

Matchday 33: ARSENAL - LIVERPOOL (05-04-2008)

Liverpool are hitting form in the business end of the season and will be far more difficult to overcome. The good thing for us is that the 2nd legs of the Champions League QFs are after this game - and considering how the CL is Liverpool's only chance of success this year - hopefully they'll have one eye on that. Of course, they need the points to secure CL qualification for next season but at home I fancy our chances to turn them over. Besides, I heard Liverpool aren't any good at 12.45 kick-offs. :D

Matchday 34: MANCHESTER UNITED - ARSENAL (13-04-2008)

The big one. Of course, neutrals would love nothing more than a delicately poised league table going into this game, but I'd much prefer it if Arsenal were in a position that would allow us to lose or draw this game without relinquishing leadership. That would enable the players to play with much more confidence and less pressure. It's possible, but only if we win all our games leading up to this one and United draw with Liverpool and Aston Villa. Still, we're capable of winning here if we must. Last season's result in this fixture was 1-0 to the Arsenal.

Matchday 35: ARSENAL - READING (19-04-2008)

Reading have recently recovered from an 8-match losing streak with back-to-back wins over Boro and City. They're one of the worst traveling teams in the league so surely this is as straightforward a game remaining on our schedule. But you never know, that's the point. Every game scares the sh*t out of me.

Matchday 36: DERBY COUNTY - ARSENAL (28-04-2008)

Screw what I just wrote, this is the one game that does not scare me. :D

Matchday 37: ARSENAL - EVERTON (03-05-2008)

All I am going to say here is that thank f*ck this game is not at Goodison Park. It would have had "title-throwing ala Leeds and Bolton" written all over it.

Matchday 38: SUNDERLAND - ARSENAL (11-05-2008)

It will probably come down to the wire, so I suppose we can't really complain about going to Sunderland on the last day of the season. It won't be an easy game though, there is every bit a chance that Sunderland will be fighting to stay up on the last day as we will be fighting for the title. The desire for the Championship should be greater. Quality and class must prevail.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Thanks for this Mad4, I guess this is going to stay active until the end of the season.

I think we can do it over Chelsea, and with United, anything is possible, we just need to win the others too though.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think we can win at Chelsea too, which is important for belief ahead of going to Manchester.

If we win our next two games it will set the tone for the final stretch. Wenger was raving about Persie today, please just stay fit for 9 games. He managed to stay fit for the first 8 games of the season so if he goes just one better this time we'll have a great chance.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Huge Run there with Chelsea, Bolton, Liverpool, United.... Packed in the middle with CL fixtures.

As Biased as I am ;) I would dare say you would need to take minimum 9 points from those 4 games.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I think we can win at Chelsea too, which is important for belief ahead of going to Manchester.

If we win our next two games it will set the tone for the final stretch. Wenger was raving about Persie today, please just stay fit for 9 games. He managed to stay fit for the first 8 games of the season so if he goes just one better this time we'll have a great chance.
What did Arsene say exactly about Persie?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I'm definitely not as confident as I was two weeks ago. The Chelsea and United games could go either way. I find it impossible to predict clashes with those two, but Bolton is the only other game there that strikes me as a slip-up waiting to happen. Every other game there should be three points.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
nice preview..M4...this is going to be very very exiting!!!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Man U have to play Arsenal, Liverpool at Old Trafford and Chelsea away.

On a second level they are away to Blackburn and home to Aston Villa, these two will have to play to theri full potenetial to help us, though Villa have a terrible record agaisnt Man U.

Their other games are against Wigan, Derby, Bolton, Middlesbrough and West Ham (who have given up on the season now they are safe from relegation).

Chelsea, who cannot be discounted face both Arsenal and Man Utd at home.
The face awkward away games at Spurs (if they can asked to start playing again) and Everton.
The remaining games are shooting practice against Derby, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Bolton, Wigan, Man City (who have stopped playing since they beat Man U), Sunderland.

Its all to play for, if we get back to our early season form and the others drop some points, it could still be a happy season.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
One key thing would be that after we play Man Utd, Man Utd have to go to Stamford bridge and play there.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
The keys to the title rest in the hands of the belief of our team. These guys have to give rugged performances even if we're not scoring in some games. We have to really dig in and guys don't expect any huge thrashings in these last few games.

If we do thrash a team that's a bonus but I doubt it will be that straight forward. There's an excellent article with Flamini on Skysports where he says we have to stop moaning and just go do the fvcking job whatever the conditions. He's absolutely right.

BTW excellent thread M4. Really made me want to post in it lol.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
As usual we have helped tremendously in Arsenal's Championship campaign. Based on our results against United and against you, you've 6 points and United have lost 6. Good luck :thumbsup:

·
소원을 말해봐
5,413 Posts
great thread mad4. im worried as fcuk. last game is only a few days away from my bday. if we win the title its gonna be a bday i will remember.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
great thread mad4. im worried as fcuk. last game is only a few days away from my bday. if we win the title its gonna be a bday i will remember.
And what an 18th present it will be!

·
Registered
42,804 Posts
I wondered if it was a superstition that provoked this thread title which so resembles a thread elsewhere which carries a certain degree of notoriety. :) Although Mo, I don't believe you're the superstitious type.

If the above imagined table came to be, it would be a situation as combustible as the Count's presence in Paris appears to be. I'd like to imagine us as the aforementioned mystery man while United would represent the form of the foul and ugly Danglars. Perhaps Chelsea could be Fernand, the more unassuming figure.

**** I'm overdoing it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.