Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We must deliver here. It would be great to reach the QF and even though we are down, it is entirely possible. We MUST score the first goal of this match.

The squad:

ALVAREZ
AMANTINO
AQUILANI
BOVO
CHIVU
CUFRE
CURCI
DACOURT
DE ROSSI
ELEFTHEROPOULOS
KHARJA
KUFFOUR
MEXES
PANUCCI
PERROTTA
TADDEI
TOMMASI
PIPOLO
ROSI
OKAKA

My team:

Curci; Panucci, Kuffour, Chivu, Bovo; De Rossi, Dacourt; Taddei, Perrotta, Mancini; Okaka.

Bench: Elethropolous, Cufre, Rosi, Aquilani, Kharja, Tommasi, Alvarez.

I know it says Mexes in the squad, but isnt he suspened? Even so i would only have him on the bench if he isnt because hes played alot of games recently.

That is my team, with the trusted Taddei, perrotta, Mancini partnership behind the front man. Alvarez I would use in the last 25 minutes if we need a goal for sure. I feel the above team is the right one. Bovo is needed for his FK's :)

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Deano said:
I know it says Mexes in the squad, but isnt he suspened? Even so i would only have him on the bench if he isnt because hes played alot of games recently.
He's suspended from serie A this weekend, so he has to play no matter what.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
what are curci, eleftheropoulos AND pipolo called up for?

rai uno tv-text said yesterday alvarez will start.

send out the strongest squad available, fight like lions and get to the next round.
nothing more to say.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Both Chivu and Mexes are suspended next Serie A game so we might as well utilize them in the UEFA game. How ever I would play Bovo for Cufre, he´s better offensivly, great on set pieces and I don´t think that we´re going to defend that much.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
My team for this match:

-------------------Curci-------------------
Panucci------Mexes-------Chivu-------Bovo
---------Dacourt----------De Rossi--------
---Alvarez--------Perrotta-------Taddei----
------------------Mancini------------------

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
------------------ curci ------------------
bovo ------ chivu ------ mexes ----- cufre
--------- de rossi --------- dacourt ------
alvarez --------- perrotta -------- mancini
----------------- tadddei ----------------

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,169 Posts
------------------ curci ------------------
pannuci ------ chivu ------ mexes ----- bovo
--------- de rossi --------- dacourt ------
alvarez --------- perrotta -------- mancini
----------------- Okaka ----------------

Second half : Kharja,Rosi

Should be enough for 2:0 ....

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I agree that Mexes and Chivu must play then with both of them suspended next.

I would start Taddei because I believe he can score but I would use Alvarez in the 2nd half, hes the type of player you can bring on anfd cause trouble although I if he starts, I will be just as content.

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,169 Posts
I was looking at the list of players and i saw that cerci is not i the squad.
Do you think that Spalleti should give him some playing time?Or is Okaka that better?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Spalletti: We're ready for Boro Tuesday 14 March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christian Panucci and Coach Luciano Spalletti believe the defeat at Ascoli shook Roma up and they can benefit from that when facing Middlesbrough on Wednesday.

“We have to start again from our second half performance at the Stadio Del Duca,” said Panucci after their 3-2 defeat. “It’s important to think positive.”

The Giallorossi were unbeaten since December in Serie A, but have been showing signs of wear and tear since the end of their record 11-match winning streak.

Between the UEFA Cup and Serie A, they have managed just one draw and two defeats in their last three games. That trend must be stopped if they are to overturn the 1-0 first leg loss against Middlesbrough.

“We are not tired,” assured the defender. “We can qualify despite that result, we just have to believe in it. If we can play like the Roma side we’ve all seen over the past few months, then anything is possible.”

With so many long-term injuries ruling out Francesco Totti, Vincenzo Montella and Shabani Nonda, plus new setbacks to Alexander Doni and Gianluca Curci, Spalletti could be tempted to rest a few players for Wednesday’s test.

“The UEFA Cup is important for us and we want to do well,” insisted the Coach. “Defeats don’t please anyone, but sooner or later they have to happen. I don’t make precise choices between Serie A and Europe, I merely reason which is the best solution for each game.”

Curci has recovered from a shoulder injury and Edgar Alvarez is tipped for a starting spot, but Spalletti believes the key to UEFA Cup progress is the psychological approach.

“I had noticed in the first leg that Boro were extremely motivated. Nonetheless, I am confident, because during the most difficult moment of the Ascoli game I saw the best Roma performance. It’s true that out main objective is fourth place in Serie A, but I urge my players to ignore those articles suggesting we don’t care about UEFA.”

Stefano Okaka is also an option to start upfront and the 16-year-old has reportedly signed his first professional contract with the club, tying him to Roma until 2008. The likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Bayern Munich and Werder Bremen had shown interest in the teenager.

Roma squad: Alvarez, Aquilani, Bovo, Chivu, Cufrè, Curci, Dacourt, De Rossi, Eleftheropoulos, Kharja, Kuffour, Mancini, Mexes, Okaka, Panucci, Perrotta, Pipolo, Rosi, Taddei, Tommasi

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would say that okaka is more suited to the lone striker role and is why he is more in line for a place in the team. However I would like Cerci to be called because he can be effective in the Mancini role aswell.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Three Middlesbrough fans have been stabbed and injured after trouble erupted in Rome before the club's Uefa Cup clash with Roma.

Several other fans were also injured as a group of visiting supporters were attacked in the Italian capital on Tuesday night.

The stabbed fans were taken to hospital for treatment and it is not yet known how serious the injuries are.

Middlesbrough chief executive Keith Lamb confirmed there had been violent clashes between both sets of fans

"There was an incident in one of the bars in a square in Rome," Lamb told Radio Five Live.

"Some Boro fans were drinking in a bar and the bar was attacked by some Roma fans.

"A number of Boro fans have been injured - a small number - and taken to hospital and received medical treatment.

"As far as I'm aware everybody is okay now, although one was retained in hospital but is in a stable condition."

The incident has cast a massive shadow over Wednesday's tie at the Stadio Olimpico with both clubs hoping for no more unsavoury incidents.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well its a shameful incident indeed, but it doesnt say how it starte dor how it happened. Anyway I just hope nothing else happens because we are a knife edge (literally it seems) away from being thrown out of Europe altogether.

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,169 Posts
This really pi**** me off! I don't understand such fans, this is no way to show your passion to a club.They don't even know the starting eleven, their only mission is to make trouble!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the match, from what Ive been reading, this will be the team:

---------------------Curci----------------------

----Panucci---Mexes--------Chivu-----Bovo-----

------------------De Rossi--Dacourt-------------
------Alvarez-------------------------Mancini----
------------------------Perrotta-----------------
----------------------Taddei---------------------

It looks alright and so I am confident. The only place in doubt is Dacourt or Aquilani it seems.

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
It's not gonna be easy, but maybe Alvarez can serve as our secret weapon, or at least spark that creativity we sorely need. He and Bovo sure helped vs. Ascoli. Most importantly, I just hope our mentality is still intact. Materazzi's goal struck the squad hard, and of course Totti's absence is being felt more than ever. We simply have to hold on for the rest of the season, and possibly even downgrade our expectations amid so many devastating injuries.
Forza Roma, every Roma, whatever Roma. :cool:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
U shud be ashamed 2 call urselfs Roma fans. Utter disgrace and embarassment. U dint see Juventus fans going around stabbing Scouse fans wen we played Liverpool. And there is serious history from heysel between the 2 clubs.
And u wonder why Juventus are a better and bigger club!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats because there would have been no Juve fans in Turin to do such a thing.

Go away please, we are not the Roma fans who stab people so there is no need to come in here with the tone and manner as if we are.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts