Discussion Starter #1
Either Cruz or Crespo is a must starter next time i'll go with

----------------------cesar----------
----------------cordoba--samuel------
------Jz-----------------------------maxwell
-----------------cambiasso--vieira--
-------maicon------------------------mancini/quaresma
--------------------zlatan---cruz-----

433 doesn't work with our ultra defensive/slow mid, and playing both mancini and quarsma in 442 will make it 424 whether we like it or not.

this way we will get rid of Jz presence in mid ,utilizing maicon attacking runs to the max and having cruz or crespo (someone who could head the ball, ibra sucks) will give ibra some space ,each time he gets the ball he's being surrounded by three defenders its too much

EDIT:someone change the title i meant 442 :D

·
Registered
16,181 Posts
aha

so you mean the formation that cost us 5 goals in 2 games against the bottom team in Italy and a side from Cyprus?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yeah 442 IMO is the best way to play. Ibra plays best in this formation.

I remember Mancini tried to play 443 at one time and he quickly realized that wasn't going to work. Mourinho needs to figure this out soon too.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
yeah 442 IMO is the best way to play. Ibra plays best in this formation.

I remember Mancini tried to play 443 at one time and he quickly realized that wasn't going to work. Mourinho needs to figure this out soon too.
Only Juventus know how to play with that formation.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
LMAO at the 443 comment

Too funny

·
Registered
23,851 Posts
I'm wondering if Maicon would be as good as a winger as he is as a fullback. The opposition would be covering him a lot tighter in that position making it more difficult for him to get turned against their goal with the ball.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
We can't play a real 4-4-2 because we don't actually have 4 quality midfielders.

Also, putting Quaresma as side midfield does not change the formation from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 unless Quaresma acts like a midfield (by playing defensive and winning ball possession). A 4-4-2 with Quaresma as side midfielder is still a 4-3-3. Formations are just labels used by the media to present a simplified description of who's playing on the pitch.

·
Registered
23,851 Posts
We can't play a real 4-4-2 because we don't actually have 4 quality midfielders.

Also, putting Quaresma as side midfield does not change the formation from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 unless Quaresma acts like a midfield (by playing defensive and winning ball possession). A 4-4-2 with Quaresma as side midfielder is still a 4-3-3. Formations are just labels used by the media to present a simplified description of who's playing on the pitch.
You're correct to some extent although I disagree slightly. Of course formations is not an exact science and I don't think that there is an authorative decisionmaking organization which can set a definite set of guidelines on how to describe a certain formation. But winning ball possession has rarely been the task of wingers in traditional 4-4-2 formations. Yes, they should be contributing defensively but cutting off pass routes and covering spaces. But ball winning wingers have been quite rare.

It's the intructions and how the players carry out those instructions that determines whether or not they should be considered an attacker or a midfielder or whatever. In the end it doesn't really matter though. It's just a pointless label. As long as people understand what you mean it doesn't matter if you call it a 4-2-2-2, a 4-2-4, a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1.

Hm, quite a rambling post. And I think I lost my train of thought somewhere in there. I might as well stop here...

I would just like to add that I personally would prefer three central midfielders. We seem to be bullied around when we only field two. :undecide:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts