Xtratime Community banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I don't think opinions at this moment are very valid. We are hurt by what we are seeing and living

In some months we'll see what players and in what situation we can count on

Regarding Stanciu, the travel hours are a problem, and that's considering the chinese have tuned down their sanitary dictatorship by then, cause otherwise it's impossible. I recall Brazil calling players from China so it can't be out of the picture

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I read Dan saying he doesn't want to compare the Hun and the Rom team and that the Romanians have to accept the team's current situation.

I'm not surprised the journalists find him with this question - for so long it was Romania that had the better team. Now that the tide seems to be turning it must be difficult to accept it.

My take is that Romania should be focusing on themselves even though it's a tough thing to do. You guys still have your top players just like us. Maybe Liga 1 players are not as preferred for big league clubs as before? You know more about that than me, that's for sure.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I thought Romanian youngsters are still being scooped up by Serie A and other big league clubs. Like from the U21 team.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Not really, we have a few youth players at good clubs (but almost every country has those) but you can't tell if in 5 years they'll play in a top 5 league (probably not) or Liga I and worse. We had too many "chosen ones" who are nowhere (Dragomir for example). There's literally not one example of a talented player who's career went well for more than 2 years (Mihaila, Man)...of course they can still turn their careers around and fulfill their talent but there's zero certainty...and based on the success rate of our talents in the past 2 decades it's hard to believe it will be different...but you never know...every player has it in his own hands to achieve something in his career.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
This is so weird for me I don't even know how to live anymore.
What it means is that they were pushed into mens league early, many of the players were 23 years old. Most of them debuted in Liga 1 at 16,17 years old and played 7 years pro by then. It's not surprising because that was their ceiling already. Their careers were already underway and they were maxed out in their development.

If i take a 16 year old player, give them to first team, two things can happen:

Either he thrives or fails. If he doesn't have to earn his minutes, how does he set goals? He's already earning 200,000 euro when average Romanian makes like 12,000. He's already at top of mount rushmore. Now what happens? well...

Two things:

Gets transfer to big league and either fails or succeeds. Odds are he fails because he has not had to compete for a spot before.

This is what happened.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
We have to stop thinking so much in where the players play and more in what they offer to the team. If some players from Hungary, China or Romanian league do better than others from Serie A, let's use them. With Captain Sassuolo as leader we go straight to League D, with San Marino and Malta.

That Mugosa plays in Korea.
That's the saddest thing of it all: To have a player playing in the Korean league score 3 goals against you...

• Haha
Reactions: Antivari22

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I thought Romanian youngsters are still being scooped up by Serie A and other big league clubs. Like from the U21 team.
Yeah, that is true. Talentwise there is still material. But as NoName said, they rarely confirm. Ianis Hagi is one of the exceptions, so far at least

How did you turn around your situation? Those results are incredible

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
You may not like the answer because part of it is naturalizing players with Hungarian ancestors - like Callum Styles or Willi Orbán, both world class players in my book.

Another thing I noticed is that the shaft of our team - the 3 Leipzig legionnaires - brought some sort of superior "world star" confidence that had the following effect:

-earlier the NT couldn't even live up to its own expectations, we lost to teams worse than us because everyone had to bear the unbearable pressure of the Magical Magyars past - Hidegkuti Puskás etc. Plus a lot of tax money went into development and stadiums so more pressure
-but the players like Sallai and Szoboszlai who developed abroad simply didn't care about that (same goes for Orbán, Styles, Szalai Attila), they just wanted to be the best and so this immense pressure evaporated within a year

Also, Rossi changed things up after the Wales game, he keeps saying stuff like "only winning mentality from now on, winning type players". It's funny because the vast majority of the squad remained.

Something like that. I'm not even saying I understand perfectly what happened cus obviously I don't.

Something obviously changed in the players' head. They went from "we try to lose by as few goals as possible" to "We dare you to attack us with all you got, we gonna kill you off with counterattacks and if you don't attack, WE WILL and you will regret it". That's what I pick up at least from body language (I studied communication).

Fun fact: even the German NT has players who could have chosen Hungary ie. Niklas Süle (Süle Miklós) or Márton Dárdai.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
You may not like the answer because part of it is naturalizing players with Hungarian ancestors - like Callum Styles or Willi Orbán, both world class players in my book.

Another thing I noticed is that the shaft of our team - the 3 Leipzig legionnaires - brought some sort of superior "world star" confidence that had the following effect:

-earlier the NT couldn't even live up to its own expectations, we lost to teams worse than us because everyone had to bear the unbearable pressure of the Magical Magyars past - Hidegkuti Puskás etc. Plus a lot of tax money went into development and stadiums so more pressure
-but the players like Sallai and Szoboszlai who developed abroad simply didn't care about that (same goes for Orbán, Styles, Szalai Attila), they just wanted to be the best and so this immense pressure evaporated within a year

Also, Rossi changed things up after the Wales game, he keeps saying stuff like "only winning mentality from now on, winning type players". It's funny because the vast majority of the squad remained.

Something like that. I'm not even saying I understand perfectly what happened cus obviously I don't.

Something obviously changed in the players' head. They went from "we try to lose by as few goals as possible" to "We dare you to attack us with all you got, we gonna kill you off with counterattacks and if you don't attack, WE WILL and you will regret it". That's what I pick up at least from body language (I studied commumication).

Fun fact: even the German NT has players who could have chosen Hungary ie. Niklas Süle (Süle Miklós) or Márton Dárdai.

Interesting. Most of it sounds a lot like the problem we have. Mentality, confidence and the pressure of past glories. No player that can take pressure from the rest like Húngary seems to be doing

Regarding naturalizing players, it's already happening with players raised abroad. BTW I noticed that even qhen you have important players abroad local players were still important part of these games. That's very interesting aswell

I remember how you guys made fun of your own team not so long ago, exactly what most people is doing with ours right now. Certainly a deserved come back for you after a lot of suffering

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I remember how you guys made fun of your own team not so long ago, exactly what most people is doing with ours right now. Certainly a deserved come back for you after a lot of suffering
Oh absolutely. I just read somewhere that the point of rock bottom might have been in 2003. In that year:
-the fans flooded the pitch and beat up players and coaches after the game that decided the NB1 championship
-Hungary lost at home to Estonia in front on 500 people (comparison: media started talking about how the new Puskás Aréna (~65.000) might be way too small for the National Team, 100.000 people would be happy to pay for the tickets in Budapest, easy
-hundreds of sports associations dissolved thanks to the post communist and left wing liberal government's actions (they hate sports as we know, because it unites the nation)

As Marco Rossi put it so precisely on Facebook after Hungary beat up England like a rich kid beats up the weirdo after class: "Football is coming HUN".

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
(Now do remember to take these recent results with a grain of salt as the players we were up against were obviously exhausted. We're not on England's or Germany's level by any means at the moment. Plus there is the "glorified friendlies" attitude towards the Nations League, so there is that.)

101 - 115 of 115 Posts