Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking, why is the 4-4-2 working so well? it’s been applied by Capello before and it didn’t work so, so what’s changed now? Mancini’s the key. Cafu was over the hill last season and Cap refused to play any of the sub wingers at his disposal and now we have an astonishing offensive winger who balances things. and I can’t even imagine what the squad can do with a good left winger on the field.

with a good left winger, Lima is a set back not a balancing element like some believe, we can work wonders through a 4-4-2 and eliminate our striker need, but now that the club buyers left, to the glee of those of you who like to define their characters through the club, I don’t think we can afford to keep Emerson and buy a good left winger at the same time (unless we can find a no-name turn star like Mancini).

comments?

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
I agree with you, Mancini's the key which made that formation works so well. Now he can attack more and roam more freely around the pitch instead of sticking to the right end of the pitch all the time. And as you mentioned Cafu, the key difference is not only that Cafu was far from his best last year, but also that Mancini can score a lot and has a great strike with his right foot, something which Cafu lacked.

Another reason why this strategy has worked so well is the amazing form of Cassano, he is able to be a target man who always manages to receive the vertical balls from Totti and the others, and a creative force at the same time, scoring and making assists for fun.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Mancini is very very important in this formation

He has missed only one game this season v Ancona and we missed him alot

The width he bring us is key to this formation

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Mancini has made a huge difference and the 4-4-2 seems to be resulting in some crazy scores. The problem is now where does Montella fit into such a setup, or does he? If he hits form now and continues till the end of the season we're almost guaranteed 3 points every match, especially when you consider Cassano's form. I just dont want to see Montella rotting on the bench.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Of wolf and Man said:
I was thinking, why is the 4-4-2 working so well? it’s been applied by Capello before and it didn’t work so, so what’s changed now? comments?
Maybe you are playing a different style of 4-4-2. More of a Milan type of 4-4-2 rather than an Arsenal style. It's working, you usually use it after you go 2-0 up. This decreases the work rate on your wing backs.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Different formations work on some teams and not on others

Why?
Because the success of a formation depends on the mental physical and tactical characteristics of the players at your disposal

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
few things are different from last year's 4-4-2:

1. Cassano and Totti have almost a telepathic understanding this year and have gelled from last year.

2. Mancini is a great winger

3. The defence is much more solid

Lima does balance the team on the left hand side if we already play Candela at left back. If we play a proper left winger then we need a really defensive player at left back to cover well for him!!!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Zebina has made a lot of improvement from last season. It's incredible how a few changes to a team can have such a huge impact. Mancini has been absoluetly awesome, a really great team player.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I knew We were going to be challengers after our disapointing season

Remember Rosa I place a £100 bet in the summer
on Roma to win the scudetto at 14-1

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we've been without both Chivu and Zebina and still played extremely well, Totti and Cassano's forms were great at some 4-4-2 matches last season and we still didn't produce the kinda results we're producing this season. I know the mental state of the players plays a role but it's mostly that we gained the missing element in a 4-4-2, the use of wings (or wing in our case). of course I know that Mancini is a great free roaming winger with good shooting skills and that's why I think he's key for our 4-4-2 performances, and I disagree about the need to over cover our left wing if we played an offensive winger, all we need is a good left back (Candela is one) and good coordination to make it work. it’s working on the right after all.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
This Manicini guys even looks better than Cafu. Can anyone tell me a little about him?

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Professor X said:
This Manicini guys even looks better than Cafu. Can anyone tell me a little about him?
Alessandro Faille Amanita Mancini, 23 years old.

he scored 13 or 15 goals in 01/02 for Atlético Mineiro (Brazil) before we bought him and loaned him to Serie B side Venezia in 02/03 where he was mostly benched, we brought him back in 03/04 and Cap had his doubts about him but Mancini took virtually no time to integrate himself with the starting team. he shares his room with De Rossi and has filled Cafu’s shoes nicely.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Of wolf and Man said:
and I disagree about the need to over cover our left wing if we played an offensive winger, all we need is a good left back (Candela is one) and good coordination to make it work. it’s working on the right after all.
On the right we play either Panucci or Zebina, whats so offensive about that :pp

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deano said:
On the right we play either Panucci or Zebina, whats so offensive about that :pp
umm Mancini :confused: we're talking offensive winger not wingbacks and that replacing Lima with a real winger wouldn't disturb how the team performs, it would boost it.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
No you were saying that we can play an attacking full back also if we already have an attacking winger... or so I thought you did!!!

Candela and then an attacking left winger also may not work IMO. As I said, if we buy a left winger in the Joaquin style (not saying its him), we play Chivu left back and not Candela :tongue:

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you can play whomever you wish behind a left winger (to me Candela works just fine) but my point is that a left winger instead of Lima wouldn't disturb the team's balance and can only make us play better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts