Xtratime Community banner

Who was the 3rd best player of this last footballing era?

• Neymar

• Sergio Ramos

• Andres Iniesta

• Xavi

• Zlatan Ibrahimovic

• Luis Suarez

• Manuel Neuer

• Robert Lewandowski

• Luka Modric

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34,824 Posts
1. Pirlo
2. Buffon
3. Xaviniesta
4. Luis Suarez
5. Modric
6. Lewandowski
7. Neymar
8. Ramos
9. Neuer
10. Ibrahimovic

·
Registered
198 Posts
Iniesta suffered for his versatility - he was the glue for every different system or injury Barcelona had for a very long period of time.

In a world where Messi (and Cristiano) don't exist, Iniesta would have a more permanent and prominent role, rather than playing an 8 one season and an 11 the next. He'd have been an 8 or 10 playing as the focal point of their creativity.

Xavi only plays one position so stays there his whole career. In a world where he doesn't exist, Iniesta plays the role to the same level.
Nope, he allways have been a perfect Robin, the son of Ardiles in many ways. Neither Xavi was a player we can really use alone.

·
*the drum drum*
43,421 Posts
Robin is a good way to describe Iniesta and how his career panned out.

But given the opportunity and the freedom, he could have been the leader of any football team on the planet.

·
Registered
34,824 Posts
Are you guys asuming his output in terms of goals/assists would also have been significantly better if he hadnt played Robin? Not that stats like these are end all and be all.

Not sure there was a Batman in the Spanish NT btw (Torres/Villa/Silva?)

·
Registered
Valencia CF
265 Posts
Villa had the biggest impact out of the 3 i'd say.

As Torres and Silva weren't regulars in the WC win and were on the bench.

The spine was Spain's real strength. (Casillas, Puyol, Xavi and Villa)

·
Registered
34,824 Posts
Villa had the biggest impact out of the 3 i'd say.

As Torres and Silva weren't regulars in the WC win and were on the bench.

The spine was Spain's real strength. (Casillas, Puyol, Xavi and Villa)
Yeah, I ment in 2008, 2010, 2012, respectively. Just to say I didn't get the Batman point entirely.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Robin is a good way to describe Iniesta and how his career panned out.

But given the opportunity and the freedom, he could have been the leader of any football team on the planet.
I very much doubt that, one of my favorite fellas, but he lacked quite a lot in many departments, he even suffered from depression on a personal note. It's a whole other world to be the 10 of Barca or any big team in the world. BTW he had lots of freedom in barca to play, for moments more freedom than Xavi, Messi or Busquets.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts