Xtratime Community banner

Who was the 3rd best player of this last footballing era?

• Neymar

• Sergio Ramos

• Andres Iniesta

• Xavi

• Zlatan Ibrahimovic

• Luis Suarez

• Manuel Neuer

• Robert Lewandowski

• Luka Modric

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This hasn't been discussed for a while now. Who do you feel was the best beside Ronaldo and Messi?

Others have accomplished more but in terms of footballing ability, Neymar came closest to Ronaldo and Messi imo. Not sure who to vote for tbh.

·
Registered
I M Inter Milan I M
25,057 Posts
Shouldn't Pirlo be in there? He practically retired at the same time as Xavi didn't he, around 2015 or so?

Reactions: Zico 10

·
Registered
41,065 Posts
For me it's Zlatan. The unique skill set, the longevity and his wild character make him a player none of us will ever forget. A born entertainer with a technique no big man has ever had before him.

Soft spot for Iniesta though.

·
Registered
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shouldn't Pirlo be in there? He practically retired at the same time as Xavi didn't he, around 2015 or so?
That would qualify Casillas too but... I don't know. Just had second thoughts about including them based on their multiple world class seasons before the CR-Messi era. I made an exception for Zlatan since the dude still played at quite a high level even last season.

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
Define the "era" a bit more precisely and I can give you an answer....

·
Registered
17,827 Posts
I selected Iniesta, but actually the objective answer is Neymar.

·
Registered
34,795 Posts
Pirlo and Buffon, if Xavi and Iniesta are there. My knowledge is spotty when it comes to the last decade or so, but I guess I would say Luis Suarez.

·
Registered
48,233 Posts
Neymar is a player who can be there in terms of skills but I don't think he is nearly so influential as CR7 or Messi, so I choose pretty much any other player in the list before him and even other players who are not in it.

·
Registered
Valencia CF
248 Posts
Suarez' CL record is pretty bad, wouldn't say him personally.

Xavi probably the right answer, the greatest CM of his generation. Also the most important cog of those Barcelona and Spanish machines, which always meant he was better than Iniesta to me.

Was the standout player across the board. (La Liga, Champions League, Euros and World Cup)

You know a player is amazing when he stands out in two legendary teams like Barca and Spain.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Lets say the year is 2010, who are you taking from this list?
Luis Suarez for me, he has been successful everywhere he played and even if it was only for one season managed to outplay Messi and Ronaldo in La liga, who else can claim the same thing? Thats it if the "era" is last 10 years.

·
Registered
34,795 Posts
Suarez' CL record is pretty bad, wouldn't say him personally.
That bad compared to Neymar? NT-wise, Suarez has the edge

Xavi probably the right answer, the greatest CM of his generation. Also the most important cog of those Barcelona and Spanish machines, which always meant he was better than Iniesta to me.

Was the standout player across the board. (La Liga, Champions League, Euros and World Cup)

You know a player is amazing when he stands out in two legendary teams like Barca and Spain.
Him and Pirlo are quite similar in most respects

·
*the drum drum*
43,403 Posts
I’d take Pirlo over Xavi every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

For this poll though I choose Iniesta - he was a key component of some very successful teams, incredibly consistent for a very long time, and created memorable moments like his goals against Chelsea and Holland.

If Messi and Cristiano don’t trade the awards for as long as they did, a lot of other players win those awards instead. And of them, Iniesta takes home two, perhaps three.

·
Registered
34,795 Posts
I find it hard to separate Xavi from Iniesta in a way, they were both there for each other's major achievements

·
Registered
Valencia CF
248 Posts
Xavi was the main runner and cog of both teams, Iniesta had inconsistent periods when you would Barca in the league week in, week out. While Xavi would never dip. (In their prime era, was inconsistent in latter Rijkaard day era. But pre-2006 injury he was fantastic even in 04/05)

Xavi really was special.

·
Registered
Valencia CF
248 Posts
But depends if we are including 2007 onwards as this era, because Xavi was the main reason they won Euro 2008 and it was huge for him.

If it's 2010 onwards, Xavi retired earlier.

·
*the drum drum*
43,403 Posts
But depends if we are including 2007 onwards as this era, because Xavi was the main reason they won Euro 2008 and it was huge for him.

If it's 2010 onwards, Xavi retired earlier.
Iniesta suffered for his versatility - he was the glue for every different system or injury Barcelona had for a very long period of time.

In a world where Messi (and Cristiano) don't exist, Iniesta would have a more permanent and prominent role, rather than playing an 8 one season and an 11 the next. He'd have been an 8 or 10 playing as the focal point of their creativity.

Xavi only plays one position so stays there his whole career. In a world where he doesn't exist, Iniesta plays the role to the same level.

·
Registered
34,795 Posts
Didn't he simply play the mezzala (a bit more advanced than Xavi) in Barca's 4-3-3?

I guess it was different for Spain since they often lacked forwards and had an abundance of midfielders

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
I think the Xavi-Iniesta debate is a bit mis-guided. To me, they were always a pair. I don’t think I would be able to separate them because their greatness fed off each other.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts