1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simeone, Caniggia And Chamot Follow Batistuta's Lead
News Archive

End of an era (Allsport)
06/13/2002. Diego Simeone, Claudio Caniggia and Jose Chamot have followed Gabriel Batistuta's lead and retired from international football in the wake of Argentina's disappointing World Cup.

Simeone said: "We looked on those guys in 1978 as role models and heroes and when they returned home in 1982 without the trophy we felt for them.

"Now I just feel for myself and the other three because we have given as much to the cause as anyone.

"But we will end our careers as three-time failures. It hurts, it really does," he admitted.

soccerage
------------------------
:(:(:(

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
All 3 of them are past it.

However ending your international career in such a humiliating fashion wouldnt be nice.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Russell said:
However ending your international career in such a humiliating fashion wouldnt be nice.
Yeah, it was the same for Alan Shearar, Gaza and very soon for Teddy Shirngeham.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Batigol9 said:

Yeah, it was the same for Alan Shearar, Gaza and very soon for Teddy Shirngeham.
Huh, thats my Bro. :D

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Batigol9 said:

thanks B9.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Russell, I still think the two weakest teams in the group got through. Argentina and Nigeria are much better teams than England and Sweden, but in football, if you do not take your chances, you are out.

Too many of England's players are too average for my liking.

No matter how hard any other animal tries, it can never soar to the heights of the eagle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts