1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Desailly Pays Price For Elbowing Morientes
Monaco - Chelsea | Latest News | News Archive

Desailly would miss the final (AFP)
04/23/2004. Chelsea's Marcel Desailly has been given a three-match suspension by Uefa that will rule him out of the second-leg of the Blues' Champions League semi-final - as well as the final should they make it.

Skipper Desailly clashed with Monaco's on-loan forward Fernando Morientes in the second half of Wednesday's 3-1 first-leg defeat by the French side.

Uefa studied video evidence of an elbowing incident before reaching a decision about the France World Cup winner.

Desailly has until midnight on Monday 26 April to appeal against Uefa's judgement that he was guilty of violent conduct.

Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri admitted that the absence of Desailly is a big blow to his plans of overturning Monaco's two-goal advantage.

Ranieri said: "We'll miss him a lot as his experience is very important for us. I hope my other defenders are in good condition."

After the match Desailly refused to discuss the incident that had so enraged Morientes, who appealed in vain at the time for any action from the officials.

If the ban is upheld, Desailly will join compatriot Claude Makelele on the sidelines for the crucial second-leg.

Makelele was booked for his involvement in the clash which resulted in Monaco's Akis Zikos being unfairly sent off.

Makelele, who initially raised his hands to the Greek midfielder, took a look round before crumpling theatrically in a heap on the ground after Zikos responded with what looked like nothing more than a reciprocal pat.

Uefa opted to rebuke the former Real Madrid midfielder rather than to increase his ban, criticising his "unsporting behaviour and provocative attitude" before feigning injury.

Nevertheless Uefa confirmed that Zikos will also miss the second-leg for being shown a red card.

Graham Lister

soccerage

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Yes, I think this is fully deserved. If you observed carefully, Desailly also 'clubbed' Morientes on his rib before the elbow incident. But is Desailly that important of a player for you guys??? I thought Terry, Gallas and Huth are better than him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts