Discussion Starter #1
Barca is represented in 3 categories!!!

Sportsman of the year - Ronaldinho
Young Sportsman of the Year - Messi
Team of the Year - FC Barcelona

This is BIG......

Ronaldinho and Messi nominated for the sporting Oscars
http://www.fcbarcelona.com/eng/noticias/noticias/n06040620.shtml
Ronaldinho and Messi have been shortlisted for the Laureus Awards, considered sport's equivalent of the Oscars. The ceremony will be held in Barcelona for the first time on May 22.

The seventh edition of the Laureus World Sports Awards will take place in the Parc del Fòrum, and the list of nominated teams and players was announced on Thursday. The presentation was held in Barcelona City Hall, and was attended by mayor Joan Clos and the president of Laureus, ex hurdler Edwin Moses.

Barça stars recognised around the world
There are six categories, and Barcelona are represented in three. Ronaldinho is one of the nominees for best sportsman of the year, along with Formula One driver Fernando Alonso, cyclist Lance Armstrong, tennis player Roger Federer, motorcyclist GP Valentino Rossi and golfer Tiger Woods.

Leo Messi has been nominated as one of sport's rising stars, along with tennis player Rafa Nadal, golfer Paula Creamer, tennis player Andrew Murray, driver Danica Patrick and American footballer Ben Roethlisberger.

And FC Barcelona as a club has been nominated as team of the year along with Liverpool (Champions League winners), Croatia (Davis Cup winners), New Zealand's rugby team, Renault (formula one constructers champions) and San Antonio Spurs (NBA winners).

Great winners in the past
Last year gala was held in Estoril, Portugal, where the best sportspeople were announced as Swiss tennis player Roger Federer and English runner Kathy Holmes. The Laureus World Sports awards are decided by a committee of 40 of the greatest sports stars in history, including Michael Jordan, Boris Becker, Sergey Bubka, Bobby Charlton, Sebastian Coe, 'Pele', Nadia Comaneci, Emerson Fittipaldi, Michael Johnson, John McEnroe, Martina Navratilova, Severiano Ballesteros, Miguel Indurain, Gary Player and Mark Spitz.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Messi should take the title for the best Young Sportsman of the Year beacause I only know one of the others in that category (Nadal) and he's a Madridista so.. :lala: :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are my picks for the awards:

Best sportsman - I reckon it will be between Fernando Alonso, Valentino Rossi and Ronaldinho. Roger Federer had a worse year than last year when he won the award and Lance Armstrong hasn't done anything different to what he did in previous years (where he didn't win the award). Tiger Woods hasn't done anything exceptional by his standards.

Best Young Player
- I don't know who Ben Roethlisberger and Paula Creamer are, so I'll count them out. I don't really think Danica Patricks achievements are a big deal at all. Rafael Nadal did more than Andrew Murray in tennis, so that counts out Murray. So it comes down to Nadal vs Messi. Personally I would give it to Nadal, cos his success this year has been more 'tangible and real' rather than Messi who has just shown amazing potential - Nadal is already a top 2 player in his sport while Messi has the potential to be one.

Best Team
- Its gotta be the New Zealand All Blacks Rugby team for me. What they achieved last year was HUGE. Losing only 1 game all season, beating the beating the British & Irish Lions, winning the Bledisloe Cup, Tri Nations and the Grand Slam (which hasn't been done for more than 30 years). To top it all off, they did that while playing a Barca style attack, attack, attack brand of rugby.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts