Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Match thread for the two games against Wales on Saturday (away) and Wednesday (home).

The standings before the games:
Code:
1. England    4 3 1 0  7:3 10 
2. Poland     4 3 0 1 10:5  9 
[b]3. Austria    4 1 2 1  8:8  5[/b]
4. N. Ireland 4 0 3 1  5:8  3 
5. Wales      4 0 2 2  5:8  2 
6. Azerbaijan 4 0 2 2  1:4  2
The first game might already be a decisive factor for Krankl's future at the NT. Even Stickler said something like "we need 3 points, a draw is not enough" earlier.

Both teams' squads:

Austria:

Tor:
Helge Payer (Rapid/4 caps)
Andreas Schranz (GAK/2)

Abwehr:
Ernst Dospel (Austria/16)
Anton Ehmann (GAK/9)
Martin Hiden (Rapid/32)
Mario Hieblinger (FC Kärnten/9)
Markus Katzer (Rapid/4)
Emanuel Pogatetz (Spartak Moskau/14)
Joachim Standfest (GAK/6)
Martin Stranzl (Stuttgart/23)

Mittelfeld:
Martin Amerhauser (GAK/11)
Rene Aufhauser (GAK/23)
Andreas Ivanschitz (Rapid/11)
Markus Kiesenebner (Austria/5)
Roland Kirchler (Pasching/26)
Bozo Kovacevic (Pasching/6)
Dietmar Kühbauer (Mattersburg/52)
Wolfgang Mair (Wacker Tirol/1)

Angriff:
Mario Haas (JEF United/38)
Roland Linz (Sturm Graz/9)
Christian Mayrleb (Pasching/25)
Ivica Vastic (Austria/43)

Wales:

Tor:
Danny Coyne(Burnley)
Paul Jones (Wolverhampton)
Lewis Price (Ipswich)

Abwehr:
James Collins (Cardiff City)
Danny Gabbidon (Cardiff City)
Robert Edwards (Wolverhampton)
Robert Page (Coventry)
David Partridge (Motherwell)
Sam Ricketts (Swansea)
Gareth Roberts (Tranmere)
Mark Delaney (Aston Villa)
Danny Collins (Sunderland)

Mittelfeld:
Carl Fletcher (West Ham)
Jason Koumas (West Bromwich)
Carl Robinson (Sunderland)
Gavin Williams (West Ham)
Simon Davies (Tottenham)

Angriff:
Ryan Giggs (Manchester United)
Craig Bellamy (Celtic Glasgow)
Robert Earnshaw (West Bromwich)
John Hartson (Celtic Glasgow)

update: Hiden injured his right knee in today's training and is probably out for both games.

·
Registered
46,541 Posts
I'm watching the game. A rather balanced one indeed, with opportunities to score for both teams. Yet, the score after 70 minutes is 0-0.
Hartson missed an incredible opportunity but his dribbling skills are 0 and he could not overcome Payer.

·
Registered
46,541 Posts
Vastic, in for Haas few minutes ago, has just scored (81.) with a shot left-footed. Classic counter attack after a mistake of Giggs.

·
Registered
46,541 Posts
2-0 Martin Stranzl (85.)

Incredible blunder of the defense of Wales. There has been just one team on the pitch after the goal scored by Vastic and Austria could score again even before the goal scored by Stranzl.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I agree that we were the better side. Good game with decent chances for both sides, but we created more. Unfortunately our decisions up front were either poor long shots or poor crosses. And of course that big Weh Haas...

Man of the match was Stranzl for me, it's amazing how he can put good performances on a high level in different positions, left-back for Stuttgart, central midfield for Austria. Horrible Piefke-accent though that he picked up there.
And I never expected Katzer to do that good. His best game for the NT so far, in my opinion.

"Was hat der Trainer bei der Einwechslung zu ihnen gesagt?"
-I.V.: "Geh rein und mach Tor." :)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
A rather boring game until the Vastic-substitution, but overall a deserved win. However, nothing to build on, don"t know what kind of tactics we wanted to use.
Best thing of the game was definitely the stadium (besides the result).

btw: greetings from Manchester.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Say hallo to Man City for me, Paul ;)

Otherwise, I feel your verdict is too critical, we often see top notch boring games from sides who are actually pretty good, but blink each other out. In this game we had two mediocre sides which did not blink each other out, so we had a lot of attacking football (at least on giving that one try after the other level) in the game and also some nice defending (from our side mostly) and it was the rare occasion to see an Austrian team which actually did pretty OK over 90 minutes. That, however, went down to the mistake of Wales thinking of themselves as a good team instead of a mediocre and seeing the Austrians as a bad team instead of a mediocre, I think.

Apart from newbie Katzer we had this group of players who actually all have some things behind them, actually experienced players of some quality. Usually this is by far not enough to shine, but in this game it was enough to look pretty stable for an away team. That, however, tells completely nothing about the return leg of the double-header, we can also go down in a pathetic loss at home, no sweat.

And thanks, Toni.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Pyrrhus-Siege, both of them. If football games lasted only 80 minutes, we'd get a (new) coach now.

Excellent: Payer
Good: Ehmann, Vastic
Poor: Kirchler, Dospel
Mediocre: the rest

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
I'd like to challenge that and put Dospel out of the "poor" category. For him I open a new one, the "a complete shock and mere dismantlement of the Parma bout hopes".

Great, Safar in goal, Papac responible for 3 goals against Belgium and then subbed out and Dospel in both Wales games, but particularly the second one.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dospel was shocking indeed. Didn't get much right and made some capital errors, I counted 3 of them in the first 10 minutes already.
How was Haas mediocre, by the way? ;) He was just as crap as in Wales, just not "unlucky" *cough* this time, simply because he didn't find any ball.

And Payer saved the day, of course.
"Mein Traum ist, die Nummer eins beim FC Barcelona zu werden, und dafür werde ich arbeiten"
Right on! :thmbup:

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
I think Peyer will intermediately forget about that Barcelona dream. That because he will keep in EPL, Celtic or Rangers next season. The two Wales games had been just the perfect ad for that. So Macho will be back from summer on.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, of course there is no place for him at Barcelona. Victor Valdes is actually younger than him.
But a nice (and intelligent ;)) thing for him to say, though. And (if he really said it) a honest thing, too, cause if it were for tactics, he'd drop the names of other clubs, where he has realistic chances. EPL would be a good choice for him, all the best. And Rapid would be weakened, too.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
MxPx said:
How was Haas mediocre, by the way? ;) He was just as crap as in Wales, just not "unlucky" *cough* this time, simply because he didn't find any ball.
He wasn't mediocre of course, I just didn't recognize him as a player of the Austrian NT. ;)

·
Registered
46,541 Posts
il_principe said:
Toni, do you receive ORF via cable tv in italy, as we get Rai here?
No. There is a sport TV channel called Sport Italia which shows some games of the qualifications to WC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts