Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its CRUNCH time!

The return leg against Depo is coming up quick and this is the all important one!

If we could pull out a draw or even a loss by 1 goal then we are through to the Semi's :D!

What are your thoughts and ur prediction?

My prediction:

1-1!

Tristan and Nistelrooy

:D Go UNITED :D

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I dont have a score prediction but i certainly think we'll win, with Giggs fit he can destroy any defence (>>>slight jab at Arsenal), he is capable of causing havoc in the Deportivo defence!

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I imagine Depor will explode at the begining of the game. We should aim for an early goal to put them out.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
i think that through injuries we'll have no other choice to revert to 4-4-2. usual suspects at the back and veron, giggsy, butt and fortune across the middle. it might even be worth putting forlan on one of the wings.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Depor will goto blitz the Man u goal from the start should be a constant onslaught.
I reckon Depor will win in the end but unless some amazing happens i still reckon Man u should go through, but u neevr know, either way it should be a fantastic game :)

good luck guys

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
HUGE...HUGE GAME!!!!

The importance of this game is immeasurable.:)

With United having to depend on others for the League title,this is the best shot that we have on silverware specially with a two goal cushion.

Looks like both Veron and Becks will be available for this game and that eases Fergie's tension a bit.Like vedz said above,we will revert back to the 4-4-2 formation with Ole and Ruud playing up-front and the midfield consisting of Becks-Butt-Veron-Giggs.Butt will be given the job of man-marking Valeron and Veron has to concentrate for the full 90mins and cut out those silly errors from his game.Its the perfect oppurtunity for him to show his worth.:)At the back Johnsen will probably return alongside Blanc while Gaz shifts to the right and Micky keeps his left-back position.

Depor will come out with all guns blazing and we have to look out for the deadly Tristan and Valeron.Irureta might also opt to play Makaay and Tristan side-by-side,a thing which he hasnt done for some time now.It'll be a very attacking looking side however the injury to Mauro Silva will not help Depor's cause.They'll be looking to get an early goal to settle their nerves and unsettle the United players so its tantamount that we dont concede early in the game.:nervous:

The game will be fantastic spectacle with two attacking minded teams going at each other.Its vitally important for United not to concede early and get one themselves.I believe that if we manage to get a goal before Depor then the game will be over as a contest.Lets hope that we do get that all important first goal.:)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Its going to be a hard game for MU. But it is not impossible in Old Trafford.

Good Luck for you guys, Kick those dirty players' ass....:) :) :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Good luck to Manchester
Hmm i think 2-1 By Nistelrooy And Forlan (HOpe that he will score) and Tristan for Deportivo

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
man utd as good as thru to the next round. i hope liverpool cement their place in the next round tonite. man u vs liverpool will be the match of the season. CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
as much as i wanted Depor to win
this match up is over
Man. Utd. all the way

depor probably win 2-1 but that wont be enough

if this scenario happens
it would remind me year 2000 when Bayern beated Real
3 out 4 but we still managed to go through

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
GO DEPOR!!! :D:D:D

Champions League Preview: Manchester United V Deportivo
Manchester United - Deportivo | News Archive

Depor need Tristan to produce something special (Allsport)
04/09/2002. AT STAKE

Manchester United have one foot in the semi-finals of the Champions League after their mightily impressive 2-0 win at the Riazor last week. The English giants can expect an attacking onslaught from Deportivo on Wednesday, as the Spanish outfit try to claw their way back into the tie, and they

Deportivo must come out at Old Trafford with all guns blazing if they stand any chance of recording a remarkable Victory, although they know exactly how to make a comeback as in last years competition they came from 3-0 down at half time to win 4-3 against Paris St Germain. They also have recorded victories at Old Trafford and Highbury already this season so their Champions League dream is not yet extinguished.

Both Manchester United and Deportivo need others to slip up in their domestic leagues if they are to be crowned champions, but both sides also still have to face the current league leaders. Depor face Real Madrid on the last day, while United host Arsenal in the penultimate game so the Champions League isn't their sole interest for the remainder of this season and in the Spaniards case they are sill chasing a treble having won the Copa Del Ray last month.

TEAM FORM

United's last six matches: WWLWWW

In contrast to their triumph in Spain last week United had a stinker away to lowly Leicester in the Premiership on Saturday. However, they still won the game 1-0 despite a dreadful performance in which a number of fringe players did little to warrant an inclusion in this Champions League clash. The victory against the Foxes was United's fifth straight away win in all competitions, however at home they have not won either of their last two games after a goalless draw with Bayern Munich and a shock 1-0 defeat at home to Middlesbrough.

Deportivo's last six matches: WLWDLW

Deportivo bounced back from their poor showing in the first leg defeat in spectacular fashion with a 5-0 at home to relegation threatened Mallorca. It was a must win game for Depor especially after their draw away to Real Sociadad in their previous league game.

TEAM NEWS

Manchester United have been boosted by news that David Beckham and Juan Veron are fit to take on Deportivo. The news is hugely important for Sir Alex Ferguson's team as they are without Roy Keane, who was injured in the first leg, and Paul Scholes, who misses the game through suspension. Beckham was also injured in the first leg after a poor tackle by Diego Tristan but scans revealed that he had only suffered bruising to his ankle.

Veteran Brazilian Mauro Silva is set to miss out after he picked up an injury in the demolition of Mallorca at the weekend and Javier Irureta is unlikely to risk him with crucial La Liga games on the horizon.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

The emphasis will surely be on Manchester United's defence as they attempt to protect their two goal advantage and without Keane the focus will be on Nicky Butt to protect his back four. With Veron and Giggs either side of him he will be needed to sit back and soak up the pressure which Deportivo will surely throw at him. If his comments are to be believed Laurent Blanc's career has only a few games left and he perhaps more than anyone will want to reach the final as this would be his final outing.

Juan Valeron: The Spaniard has terrorised defences all season, but was strangely indifferent against United last week and consequently Deportivo's attack lacked any potency. Valeron's partnership with Tristan ran rings around United when the teams met at Old Trafford earlier this season and the hopes of the visitors will be resting on a similar display. They will also be hoping for Tristan to continue where he left off against Mallorca after he scored a hat-trick in 14 first half minutes.

POSSIBLE STARTING XI'S

Manchester United (4-4-2): Barthez; G Neville, Johnsen, Blanc, Silvestre; Beckham, Butt, Veron, Giggs; Solskjaer, Van Nistelrooy.

Deportivo: Deportivo (4-4-2): Molina; Scaloni, Cesar, Naybet, Romero; Duscher, Sergio Victor, Fran; Valeron, Tristan.

SA PREDICTION

While it is unlikely I wouldn't rule out the prospect of Deportivo causing a shock as United have proved time and time again that their defence is easily breached and without Keane to help protect it I fancy Depor to find the net. Whether they can keep the goals out at the other end is the question? I don't think they will and Manchester United will go through after a 2-2 draw.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Super sub! 1-0
3-0 agg

I would say we are more then through :)

Poor beckham, thats the second time a depor player has put him on the stretcher :(

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
1-1
3-1 agg

Crap goal from the spaniards but we are still very safe.Didnt see the replays but i think it was an own goal, anyone want to clarify?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts