Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the next thingy ahead is our debut in a final tournament after 8 years, or 2920 days:pp

It´s been a while since we felt the rush of such a tournament, the expectation of doing something great with the eyes of the world on us. These moments are gonna stick in the history of romanian football no mather how they turn out.

The game itself is a key one, cause winning would allow us to play as we can in the second game, while loosing would mean having to go for the 3 points against Italy, one of the worst scenarios football can offer.

So, can we play head to head with a world giant, can we show the flair of romanian football at this level?, or will it prove to be too hard or too soon for us as this level?

Probable line up:

------------ 1_ Lobont

2_ Contra--- 4_Tamas---15_Goian----3_ Rat

11_Cocis----6_ Radoi-----5_ Chivu

7_ Petre-------------------10_ Mutu

------------9_ Marica

As PMC would put it, discuss!:)

·
Registered
69,964 Posts
Results with France

1932 Romania - France: 6-3 (Friendly)
1967 France - Romania: 1-2 (Friendly)
1969 France - Romania: 1-0 (Friendly)
1970 France - Romania: 2-0 (Friendly)
1972 Romania - France: 2-0 (Friendly)
1974 France - Romania: 1-0 (Friendly)
1975 France - Romania: 4-0 (Olympic Games qualifiers)
1976 Romania - France: 1-0 (Olympic Games qualifiers)
1994 France - Romania: 0-0 (Euro 96 qualifiers)
1995 Romania - France: 1-3 (Euro 96 qualifiers)
1996 France - Romania: 1-0 (Euro 96)
2002 France - Romania: 2-1 (Friendly)

·
Registered
25,436 Posts
We don't have such a bad record against France. By the way, when I read the title of the thread I thought I was thrown into a time warp.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Dica should be ahead of Cocis. Petre is a liability, Nicolita or even Cocis should be there. The team isn't creative enough, Mutu and Marica will be lost and have no help because Fl. Petre is as good as France being allowed a 12th man.

I like the plan B with the Niculaes a la vs. Russia and Montenegro in the 2nd halves. Its a good plan and the players seem to know eachother well. AND its a final tournament so we want to turn heads. It doesnt matter who we're playing, Romania is a good attacking team and its good to take a risk. I'd rather put on a show and not get so far than 1-0 our way to the final or whatever. Greece did that and nobody was impressed.

Its funny how we play a lot more attractive football when Mutu isnt on the pitch. He's vital though of course.

Hopefully plan B doesnt come in too late.

HAI ROMANIA!!!

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Having watched the game again on Antena1.ro, I have to say Cocis needs to start. He is a very hard worker and pretty much mows the whole field.

·
Registered
69,964 Posts
Its funny how we play a lot more attractive football when Mutu isnt on the pitch. He's vital though of course.
But that´s not because of Mutu. In the 2nd halves vs Russia and Montenegro Piturca clearly put more offensive weapons or creativity in midfield, so that´s why we attacked more.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Thats right, Dica and Cristea were both on the pitch in the second half.

·
Registered
69,964 Posts
And I think Piturca will start with Cocis almost for sure. Cocis or Codrea.

The 3 DMs: Cocis/Codrea, Radoi and Chivu.

The right wing: Fl.Petre/Nicolita/or even Cocis

Dica benchwarmer until his services are needed, I think.

·
Registered
476 Posts
AND its a final tournament so we want to turn heads. It doesnt matter who we're playing, Romania is a good attacking team and its good to take a risk. I'd rather put on a show and not get so far than 1-0 our way to the final or whatever. Greece did that and nobody was impressed.
Epic thread title!

Although I do understand this sentiment, I wouldn't go that far. I would gladly take 1-0 games all the way to the final. I do feel that this team has the capability of playing with flair and turning heads. Unfortunately, due to our group, I feel like we'll have to play 1-0, 1-1 games to advance from it. However, if we do make the next round I think that we'll be able to play a little more offensive in the following game(s).

Even so, if we do end up in these low scoring games, i'm pretty confident that the goals we do produce will be of the far more attractive variety than the ones produced by Greece in 2004.

Hai Romania!!

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
Even so, if we do end up in these low scoring games, i'm pretty confident that the goals we do produce will be of the far more attractive variety than the ones produced by Greece in 2004.
unless Goian becomes our top scorer :pp

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Epic thread title!

Although I do understand this sentiment, I wouldn't go that far. I would gladly take 1-0 games all the way to the final. I do feel that this team has the capability of playing with flair and turning heads. Unfortunately, due to our group, I feel like we'll have to play 1-0, 1-1 games to advance from it. However, if we do make the next round I think that we'll be able to play a little more offensive in the following game(s).

Hai Romania!!
Hopefully man.

Vieira is probably out, which is unfortunate but I guess it makes things easier for Romania.

What could be their alternatives in central midfield? Is there a chance Ribery will move to Vieiras place?

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Replace him for the 23 man squad but what about on the pitch? They have Toualan, Nasri and Diarra who can play central midfield.

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
Toulalan-Makelele will be our defensive mids.
Rotated with Diarra and Flamini.

·
Registered
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2907 to more exact. :D

24/06/2000 Italy - Romania 2 - 0
09/06/2008 Romania - France

Hai Romania!
:howler: I knew this would happen.

Replace him for the 23 man squad but what about on the pitch? They have Toualan, Nasri and Diarra who can play central midfield.
Toulalan, and he is a very good player too.:moan: Vieira is more technical and experienced but Toulalan is in better shape.

·
Registered
69,964 Posts
In the first training session in Switzerland, Piti tried with this team:

Lobonţ - Contra, Goian, Ghionea, Raţ - Dică, Codrea, Chivu - Fl. Petre, M. Niculae, Mutu.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts