Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On this day we should stop bashing each other, getting angry with our players, coach,the president... Instead we should pay hommage to a player who gave so much joy to Laziali and who died in the most tragic and stupid of ways: Lucciano Re Cecconi.

Born in Nerviano on December 1st , 1948. he started playing football with Pro Patria and then moved on to Foggia, where he was trained by one Tommaso Maestrelli and wih which he won promotion to Serie A for the first time in club's history. He came to Lazio in 1971. and never looked back. He had a pivotal role in Lazio midfield in the team that won our first Scudetto in 1974. Blond-haired with blue eyes, he was easily distinguished from other players, and as writer Carlo D'Amicis said, "played until death and died playing"...

To say that his death was a shock is an understatement, especially when people learned about the circumstances. It was January 18th 1976. Laziali were still coming to terms with the death of Maestrelli. While touring Rome shopping areas, Luciano decided to play a prank on a jeweller. He took a water-pistol, entered the shop saying:"Hands up, this is a robbery!" Unfortunately, the shopkeeper did not take the joke! Instead he pulled out a real gun and shot Re Cecconi dead!:depress:

R.I.P. Luciano Re Cecconi :(

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Luciano Re Cecconi was a true Laziale, his tragic death was a serious loss for Lazio, both from the technical and the human point of view. I wish a few "players" that play for Lazio this season had a quarter of the heart and soul of the Blonde Warrior, they would be worthy of being called players.

R.I.P. Luciano
FORZA LAZIO

·
XCC Winner 2001
4,440 Posts
indeed...indeed.....

R.I.P. :(

And thank you Lightoller, for another detailed historical story you are sharing with us, where most of us don't even know about I guess.

·
International
6,519 Posts
That's truly one sad story to read...

RIP Luciano Re Cecconi :(

P.S.: Did Cecco got his nickname from Luciano's last name ? :confused:

·
International
6,519 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts