Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
22 teams want to race in 2008
Sunday April 02 2006

A total of 22 teams have submitted entries to join Formula One in the post-2007 era, world governing body the FIA have revealed.

A short window for entries to be submitted closed on Friday, by which time 22 candidates for the 12 spots had emerged.

All 11 current teams have entered, giving them the chance to take part in discussions over the sport's future after the ruling Concorde Agreement expires in 2007.

If the current teams have their entries accepted, as is likely, the FIA have to choose one newcomer from 11 candidates.

Former BAR and Benetton boss David Richards is an early favourite to join with his Prodrive organisation.

Prodrive, who run Subaru's world rally programme and Aston Martin's sportscar squad, confirmed they have entered, with Richards saying: "Formula One is the pinnacle of motorsport and a natural next step."

Former Minardi boss Paul Stoddart has also made public his entry, for a European Minardi outfit, while another ex-BAR boss, Craig Pollock, is rumoured to be plotting a return.

All applicants have been asked to meet the FIA in London on April 10.

------------------

I think we'll see more than 12 teams eventually. If the demand is there then we all know Bernie Ecclestone, who is always looking to make more money, will start accepting more and more teams.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I wouldn't mind more teams, though, when they are too slow, it's bad. But when more teams come, then I'd think giving points for more than 8 first places would be possible. And more interesting also.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heres what I think would make sense for 2008 - that David Richards (Prodrive) will buy out Renault, and get the engine supply. Renault CEO wants out, might happen the end of this year - Briatore hasnt committed beyond this year and Mild Seven are gone.

Pollock, backed by Hyundai and Samsung will buy out Midland.

And the last spot will go to Jean Alesi (direxiv) to become the 2nd McLaren team, similar setup to Honda and Super Aguri.

That makes 12 teams, which is the maximum they want. Since the above are Manufacturer backed I think they will get in.

Penske didnt apply, some others who supposedly applied are Paul Stoddart, Eddie Jordan, Eddie Irvine, and Adam Khan the GP2 driver. The rest of the applicants are lower division GP2/F3000 teams. It's hard to see any of these getting in without manufacturer backing.

-----------

From another forum. I think the Direxiv/Durango entry will be really good for F1. Lewis Hamilton looks like such a promising prospect too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
i'd like to see Paul Stoddart, Eddie Jordan & Eddie Irvine back in F1, it'll definitely spice things up a bit in the paddock

1 - 4 of 4 Posts