Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
49,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to cinema for the first time in like 4 months yesterday...

Escape from Pretoria

In 1970s South Africa two white ANC propagandists are caught and sent to jail for thinking that BlackLivesMatter.

They decide to escape and start working on an extremely ambitious plan: making keys for 16 doors they need to open to get to the gate...

It's a pretty straightforward prison break movie, quite tense and well executed. A rather old-school movie, I'd say. Of course I sort of had a feeling that I've seen it before (Escape from Alcatraz).

7.5/10

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Here, you can buy group tickets, but one seat must be left open between the groups.

Havent gone yet though. I saw tons of movies at home in the beginning of the Covid break, but there's been a lull recently.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btw I think it was maybe only the 5th best prison break movie I've seen, after Shawshank Redemption, Escape from Alcatraz, The Warden (2019 movie from Iran) and Midnight Express.

it's a pretty strong sub-genre.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Grand Illusion, A Man Escaped, and Escape from Alcatraz would be my golden top 3.

Escape from New York is also good, but that's a little different. Brawl in Cell Block 99, too.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haven't seen those ... also war camp escape movies are arguably a different sub-genre :D

Papillon and Le Trou seem to be some other highly rated ones from prison break genre

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
haven't seen those ... also war camp escape movies are arguably a different sub-genre :D
True, although usually, the protagonist will have been wrongfully convicted, whereas the injustice in A Man Escape lies with the Germans as an occupying force. And it has all the other hallmarks of the genre, but of course Bresson's style and thematic concerns are quite unique.

Papillon and Le Trou seem to be some other highly rated ones from prison break genre
Yes, those and Brute Force will be the blueprints.

White Heat has the great Jimmy Cagney and prison/prison break scenes, but it's more of a gangster film (some say film noir).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts