Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets hear it. I haven't seen too many, and the ones that I did see for the most part were letdowns or outright bad. No in depth review is necessary

I did like the following for one reason or another in no particular order:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - not much to add, enjoyed it all in all. Brad Pitt stole the show imo.
Hotel Mumbai - incredibly well made I thought. It had that Sicario feel throughout but on a more authentic level. Perhaps the Russian guy's role went a bit over the top
Parasite - in typical Korean fashion, a bit of everything. How suddenly the movie turned from a cheerful to a more sinister mood was interesting.

I'd usually add the Irishman to the list, but it was somewhat overrated. I had higher expectations for it.
Arctic and Togo were alright I guess

Yet to see Marriage Story, Ford v Ferrari, and Lighthouse.

Anyway, these come to mind. Any other recommendations, namely foreign flicks?

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
There are still many I haven't seen, partly because most non-blockbusters have the delayed cinematic release in Dk, or don't get one at all, in which case you have to hold out for a bluray or streaming release.

I liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and The Irishman though, like most people.

Crawl I mentioned this in another thread. Lean and mean natural horror (alligators) in a crammed space.

Avengement: English working class / martial arts / prison / bar brawl / revenge film directed by the former stuntman Jesse V. Johnson, starring Scott Adkins.

Speaking of Hotel Bombay, I had a lot of fun with this Bollywood historic war film.

It's very racist or, rather, woke people would call it racist if it hadn't been white people / "colonizers" in the receiving end, as the villains. It's also... historically inaccurate (one guy keeps on swordfighting after his head has been cut off). But fun.

I had been meaning to see Hotel Bombay. I know some Indian film fans are sort of sniffy about the more colourful side of Bollywood, but I'm not sure I've ever actually seen one of the "serious" films from there (leaving aside old art films like The World of Apu).

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
I guess from 2018 I've seen enough to do a list.

1. Ash Is Purest White (Jia Zhangke)
2. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Coen brothers)
3. Dragged Across Concrete (S Craig Zahler)
4. The Mule (Clint Eastwood)
5. The Grand Bizarre (Jodie Mack)
6. Long Day's Journey Into Night (Bi Gan)
7. Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski)
8. First Man (Damien Chazelle)
9. Her Smell (Alex Ross Perry)
10. The Other Side of the Wind (Orson Welles)

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
My 2019 list:

1. Nobadi (Karl Markovics) 9.5/10
2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino) 9/10
3. A Hidden Life (Terrence Malick) 9/10
4. Just 6.5 (Saeed Roustayi) 9/10
5. Truth and Justice (Tanel Toom) 9/10
6. Marriage Story (Noah Baumbach) 9/10
7. Parasite (Bong Joon-ho) 8.5/10
8. Le Daim (Quentin Dupreux) 8.5/10
9. Il Traditore (Marco Bellocchio) 8/10
10. Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi) 8/10

I'm sure I forgot some stuff I saw earlier in the year.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
The White Crow was surprisingly good. It's about a Soviet ballet dancer who
defects to the West and is faced with KGB agents trying to apprehend him

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
I don't see how The Mule was better than First Man...
Maybe it isn't, after all just a few spots apart for a whole year. I just prefer doing these lists ranked, for some reason.

Very different films too, though they're both about American legends or personalities, Armstrong and Clint.

But I do find Eastwood's whole project endlessly fascinating, I like maybe 4 out 5 of his films, basically since he started directing. And the old man quirks were great, for me anyway.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
I saw Uncut Gems, one of the best of the year for me, though not quite up there with Hollywood and The Irishman.

These rich kid Safdie brothers really do a ton of good work in terms of putting NYC back on the realness map, after all those years of relentless gentrification and starbuckification. Joker tried to do the same in a way, but really that was just pretty safe and polished retro Scorsese.

Shitty people all around, but, knowing the Safdies, perhaps not surprising that the Irish are the only villains in the end, the Jewish guys being ultimately redeemable, same with the Blacks

I guess that's three good films Sandler has done in his career now.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
Btw, I'm annoyed this movie didn't get a cinematic release in Denmark. It was shot on 35mm, would've loved to see it projected, but even the DCP would've made it look a lot better than Netflix on my TV. I don't understand it either, don't young hip kids like this stuff? And it has both Sandler, KG, Lakeith Stanfield.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
Different crowd, I know, but Marriage Story got a week in the cinema and it was packed. And then The Lighthouse premiered last thursday, and that has been on the bluray and internet for a while. And I hear Uncut Gems did pretty well in theatres in North America.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Yeah even in my non-profit neighborhood theater here in Tulsa, which is often close to empty, there were more people than usual for Uncut Gems. Good to hear it did well in commercial theaters.

Did anyone see The Lighthouse? I really really liked The Witch, and I'm not at all a fan of horror movies (barely watch any) but Lighthouse seems more than I can handle these days. The trailers were very intense.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
I guess from 2018 I've seen enough to do a list.

1. Ash Is Purest White (Jia Zhangke)
2. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Coen brothers)
3. Dragged Across Concrete (S Craig Zahler)
4. The Mule (Clint Eastwood)
5. The Grand Bizarre (Jodie Mack)
6. Long Day's Journey Into Night (Bi Gan)
7. Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski)
8. First Man (Damien Chazelle)
9. Her Smell (Alex Ross Perry)
10. The Other Side of the Wind (Orson Welles)

1: Was shown in the final year of Cph film festival 2018, now closed, though I watched it at home later
2, 3, 9, 10: No release, seen at home
5, 6: Caught them at the Danish Film Institute Cinematek (just one-night events, weren't actually released)
4, 7, 8: Cinema release

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
Yeah even in my non-profit neighborhood theater here in Tulsa, which is often close to empty, there were more people than usual for Uncut Gems. Good to hear it did well in commercial theaters.

Did anyone see The Lighthouse? I really really liked The Witch, and I'm not at all a fan of horror movies (barely watch any) but Lighthouse seems more than I can handle these days. The trailers were very intense.
I hope not too many Adam Sandler fans were disappointed. :)

I am gonna go see Lighthouse next week, I think, not sure I would get through it at home, both because of the plot and so on, or lack thereof, but also because the look they've gone for seems really unfit for your tv screen, all those blacks and shadows.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Yeah it actually broke all audience records here (I think the previous one was held by Avatar). It really is a good movie and deserves the hype...it's pretty close to a perfect book adaptation (based on one of the most famous Estonian novels ever). Oscars Foreign Language Movie top 10 too.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
Yeah it actually broke all audience records here (I think the previous one was held by Avatar). It really is a good movie and deserves the hype...it's pretty close to a perfect book adaptation (based on one of the most famous Estonian novels ever). Oscars Foreign Language Movie top 10 too.
Nice, I guess then I'll be abble to see it at some point.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
I just watched "Atlantiques" by Mati Diop, really beautiful Senegalese/French movie. It's available on Netflix at least in the US.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the recommendations guys

@Morierinho
I actually saw The Crawl after you brought it up in the other thread. I tend to stay clear from those types of movies and tbh I should have done so again lol. Btw, so many Serbs were part of that movie? The hell.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations guys

@Morierinho
I actually saw The Crawl after you brought it up in the other thread. I tend to stay clear from those types of movies and tbh I should have done so again lol. Btw, so many Serbs were part of that movie? The hell.

Haha, sorry. At least you wasted only 87 minutes.

I had recommended it to a friend IRL and just yesterday he told me it was only a 5/10 for him.

What put you off in particular, plot contrivances? Too schematic in terms of the characters?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts