Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Torino has just started to work after gaining the EL preliminary round thanks to the exclusion of Milan. It's a season which starts without the sporting director Petrachi, who has moved to Roma, after ten seasons at Torino. He has been replaced by Massimo Bava.
Urbano Cairo wants to keep all the stars of the team and has also promised a new star for Mazzarri's 3-4-3. Is he talking about Napoli's Simone Verdi?

·
Registered
45,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In the meanwhile 29 players have left for Bormio, preseason training camp location.

Ansaldi Cristian, Baselli Daniele, Belotti Andrea, Berenguer Alejandro, Bremer Gleison, Buongiorno Alessandro, Candellone Leonardo, De Silvestri Lorenzo, Djidji Koffi, Enrici Patrick, Falque Iago, Fiordaliso Alessandro, Garetto Marco, Gemello Luca, Gilli Filippo, Izzo Armando, Kone Ben, Lucca Lorenzo, Lyanco Vojnovic, Meite Soualiho, Nkoulou Nicolas, Rauti Nicola, Ricossa Riccardo, Rosati Antonio, Rossetti Matteo, Segre Jacopo, Singo Wilfried, Zaccagno Andrea, Zaza Simone.

Kevin Bonifazi has joined them later.

The first official game will be in just two weeks, on July 25: the 2nd qualifying round of EL vs one out of Kukesi and Debrecen.

·
Registered
45,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Debrecen - Torino 1-4 FT
Torino win 7-1 on aggregate and qualify to the next round. The next opponent will probably be Shakhtyor Soligorsk, unless Esbjerg score two in the remaining 50 minutes.

·
Registered
45,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If Torino manages to defeat Shakhtyor Saligorsk and qualify, the opponent in the final play-off before the group stage will be the winner of Pyunik - Wolverhampton. Torino - Wolverhampton tastes of tradition. I love it. Too bad that it's so soon in the competition... and it might no happen at all if they do not qualify to it first of all.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
It is highly unlikely that Torino will qualify for the group stage now.

A better team - Atalanta - fell at the play-off stage last season against a team in Copenhagen which was inferior to Wolves.

·
Registered
45,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love Torino to prove you wrong, but for me it's a win-win situation because I prefer Wolverhampton to qualify.
Both have yet to qualify to that game anyway and if it's true that the Italian clubs often choke in preliminary rounds, the English clubs can't pretend they don't. I remember West Ham and Southampton choking royally.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Yes, they did, and I would also love to be proved wrong and see Torino qualifyfor the group stage, but I think Wolves would be too strong.

·
Registered
45,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1-1 in the second leg with Shakhtyor Soligorsk, 6-1 on aggregate. Wolverhampton destroyed Pyunik another time.

Next week Torino - Wolverhampton at Grande Torino Stadium.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Torino already out after the first leg.

Wolves were comfortably superior throughout.

By my reckoning, only one Italian club - Juventus two seasons ago when they beat Spurs - has eliminated an English club in CL or EL since 2010. Astonishing!

·
Registered
45,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whether it was the elimination in the EL or the N'Koulou affaire or something else, there is no doubt Torino's season has all of a sudden turned nasty after two wins in the first two games of the season. The defeats at home to Lecce and at Marassi to Sampdoria have brought the team and supporters back to planet Earth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts