Xtratime Community banner

3341 - 3360 of 3378 Posts

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
Guys, I know it's tough, but you have to be realistic here. We wouldn't have made it out of most qualifying groups with the level of play we showed. We got lucky with the draw for once. But since then we've taken some steps, our defense has improved, we've gotten some quality young players in and we're evolving as a team with this WC as a defining experience. We just need more tactical awareness and time.

Whether or not Krstajic is the man to take us forward remains to be seen, but we need to make sure we don't waste too much time on the choice for a manager. He has done a lot of positive things, but he needs to invest in himself tactically. Maybe go and visit some of the top coaches and try to soak up knowledge. Watch games, analyze them, keep scouting for player profiles as Zoki often points out.

Hopefully we hear about some retirements in the next couple of days. Obviously not Matic, but Bane, Rukavina, Tosic and Stojke need to say goodbye. Be a man of honour and know when your time is up. Give the new guys the chance to stake their claim.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Apologies if I came across as harsh in my previous post. I was drinking and surrounded by too many negative vibes. Not sure if I should just stop the alcohol or move to some yurt in Greenland.

It's crap being dumped out of the world cup but there is some positive takeaways. The youngsters gained some experience, Serbia gained some points, and overall I didn't feel there was bad vibes in the camp. We were unlucky in spots. A bounce here, a call there, slightest change of ball direction and we'd be having a completely different conversation now. Serbia seemed to fear the referee more than anything on Brazil's side. Defensively, I could empathize -- nobody even wanted to fart for fear of ramen headed Neymar going into cardiac convulsions.

Not convinced about lack of conditioning arguments. I was actually surprised by how much the players ran according to stats. It's just that -- speed kills. And Serbia's players often looked as though they were plodding around the field. I don't know about anyone else but I felt/noticed a complete drop in effort around the 70 or so minute mark.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Apologies if I came across as harsh in my previous post. I was drinking and surrounded by too many negative vibes. Not sure if I should just stop the alcohol or move to some yurt in Greenland.

It's crap being dumped out of the world cup but there is some positive takeaways. The youngsters gained some experience, Serbia gained some points, and overall I didn't feel there was bad vibes in the camp. We were unlucky in spots. A bounce here, a call there, slightest change of ball direction and we'd be having a completely different conversation now. Serbia seemed to fear the referee more than anything on Brazil's side. Defensively, I could empathize -- nobody even wanted to fart for fear of ramen headed Neymar going into cardiac convulsions.

Not convinced about lack of conditioning arguments. I was actually surprised by how much the players ran according to stats. It's just that -- speed kills. And Serbia's players often looked as though they were plodding around the field. I don't know about anyone else but I felt/noticed a complete drop in effort around the 70 or so minute mark.

That's the sad part. They ran on the pitch like headless chickens defending for life. It's not their fault but Krstajic. He's obviously just an inferior coach. Didn't organize them tactically at all. Everyone looked lost on the pitch just like when Muslin was leading. I don't know his qualifications and certifications, but he doesn't know much about football. Some of his moves were amateurish and came off as one of the worst coaches at this world cup. Tough group so it's hard to judge fully but his lineups left something to be desired. Also, is he just a puppet? The call-up of Grujic was very questionable considering we could have really used a Gacinovic or S. Lukic. I think he should resign and let's put some pressure on the FSS. They can't keep hiring cheap and poor quality coaches now that our golden generation is coming through.

I don't highly rate him or anything but the last time we played organized football was under Antic.
I want one of the 6 coaches I listed in the other thread otherwise it's going to be another failed generation.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This is an optical illusion which a lot of people seem to fall for, not just in this tournament but in South Africa as well.

Fact of the matter is that Serbia ran more than all three of their opponents.

Costa Rica-Serbia: 107-109 km
Serbia-Switzerland: 116-112 km
Serbia-Brazil: 114-105 km

Serbia were in fact well conditioned. Only the Russians ran more in one group stage game (against Saudi Arabia) than Serbia did against Switzerland. Only South Korea and Germany (when they played each other) ran more than Serbia did against Brazil. Only Australia (in their opening game against France) managed to match the 114 km Serbia ran against Brazil.
It might be true but they ran out of energy in the 60th minute in each and every game. The attackers were dead tired. Even then, Krstajic took way too long to make substitutions. Failure/refusal to recognize that your attacking players are tired, is amateurish. I think as more players become standard in their NT's and play for bigger clubs in bigger leagues, it won't be as much of a problem. We would have ran much less if we were organized in defense. Krstajic didn't trust our defense enough so he had our attackers helping back. Besides Milenkovic, some of our best defenders in this tournament were Kostic, Tadic and Mitrovic :grin2:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
We have very tall players who're in great physical shape but they're not quick enough, not quite good enough individually, we lack a bit of intensity because of not being quick enough. We can look a bit clumpsy at times. These are characteristics the players can't change.
I have also thought of this. The question is what we can do to change it. When Zivkovic becomes a starter he will speed up our game. The same goes for Veljkovic or Nastasic at CB. Jovic will be a mobile option for Mitrovic in the upcoming period.

The big problem is the central midfield and the question who to play next to Matic and Sergej. I like both Milivojevic and Fejsa but they are not the players who can speed up our game. Gacinovic would be good in this aspect but I don't know if he is good enough in defence. My favorite is Maksimovic who is mobile, intelligent and a good passer. I know a lot of people like Lukic but I have not seen enough of him. Danilo Pantic can be an option with right development.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have also thought of this. The question is what we can do to change it. When Zivkovic becomes a starter he will speed up our game. The same goes for Veljkovic or Nastasic at CB. Jovic will be a mobile option for Mitrovic in the upcoming period.

The big problem is the central midfield and the question who to play next to Matic and Sergej. I like both Milivojevic and Fejsa but they are not the players who can speed up our game. Gacinovic would be good in this aspect but I don't know if he is good enough in defence. My favorite is Maksimovic who is mobile, intelligent and a good passer. I know a lot of people like Lukic but I have not seen enough of him. Danilo Pantic can be an option with right development.
One ball winner like Milivojevic/Matic who plays deeper and one all around midfielder like S. Lukic (first choice), Gacinovic or Maksimovic who can advance the ball and don't hold on to it for too long. Lukic is the perfect option here. He's a Spanish type of footballer. Something we haven't had in a VERY long time. He's still got a long way and needs to become a sandard at Torino. Think he's the Serbian to have a breakout season this year. Maybe Radonjic or Jovic too.
Future looks bright. We need a coach who can implement a modern football system. Playing with two DM's who can't make a short pass to save their life (Matic and Milivojevic) kills our game and makes it harder to utilize our talented attacking players. One of the reasons why SMS was useless in the last two games besides being played out of position. He needs to be played right behind our striker.

·
Ne oprastam
12,643 Posts
Still pissed about the Switzerland game. No comment.

At least we prevented the Monteni**ers from getting their dirty paws around Radonja.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Wow what a dream draw for Croatia. If they can get past Spain, they are surely a lock for the finals. All the main contenders apart from Spain are on the other side
I think differently. They overperform agaist latinamerican style of football with small and skillful players as we could see vs. argentina and nigeria.
But teams which come robust and physical against them might cause problems to them.
And with England, Sweden or Switzerland, they can face exaclty such an opponent if they reach the semi finals.

nevertheless, they provided the best performance of all teams in the group phase, imho, so for now they deserve to win it all.

However i wonder what players like rebic thinks about the lovren anti-serbian chants, while hugging with likes of gacinovic and jovic only 1,5 months ago when winning the german cup.
so i don't blame the croatian team in whole but that little fagg of lovren alone and i hope that diego costa will break one or two bones of him, if spain and croatia meet in the QF.

·
Registered
44,358 Posts
Sweden are probably the best unit defensively in the tournament apart from Iran who got knocked out. But you should know that Sweden usually struggle against Croatia. They still haven't beaten them once.

Btw, that last part you're talking about is nothing strange. It happens in every day life as well. Many go from 0 to 100 in terms of nationalism depending who they're hanging with. Lovren hung out with Biševac constantly at Lyon for an example. Not everyone has the same relationship as Krstajić and Rakitić.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
yes, but it would be nice if they officially condemn what that bloke did.
i would do, if someone insults my friends and compatriots.

as for sweden...this world cup is full of first times.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
I think there was a player in the background who looked a little uncomfortable but can’t remrmber who.

I fancy Uruguay to go far. Solid defence and two classy strikers.

They’ll always be in the game.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
yes, but it would be nice if they officially condemn what that bloke did.
i would do, if someone insults my friends and compatriots.

as for sweden...this world cup is full of first times.
What exactly did Lovren do?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
Being at all the games live probably didn’t help me see all the tactical nuances you typically see on TV.

I was emotinally battered after the Swiss, but that doesn’t change that at times from what I saw we looked very capable.

We outplayed Costa Rica and deservedly won the game based on chances created even though we should not have just hung on to the 1-0. Against the Swiss the opening 15 minutes was some of the most intense football I’ve seen us play for a very long time. Then, to cap it all off I thought the start of the second half against Brazil, we really pinned them back and created chances, against a team on paper we have no right to be in the conversation with.

I echo parts of Krle’s, Zoric’s and Sarma’s sentiments in the last couple of pages. There were so many positive signs for me and as much as the Swiss defeat hurt, on the whole, the performance this WC outweigh the negatives.

First, we saw an emergence of our next defensive leader in Nikola Milenkovic. If he can keep his feer on the ground, and he can keep a Vidic like rise in form and quality I think he has a chance of becoming a quality player. He came into a system he barely knew and performed straight away. Barring the second Brazil goal, he played flawlessly, and to do that at 20 is immense for me. In addition, as much as Tosic battled, Veljkovic was very good for the Brazil match and I applauded Krstajic’s decision. It was a gamble, but one I really liked. Tosic is done for me, and Veljko’s performance against Gabriel Jesus was brilliant, one of the best forwards in world football. The same goes for Milenkovic on Neymar. You could see how he moved, and faked inside against Neymar that he has learned a lot in Italy. Withe resurgence of Nastasic I hope these become the constant three center backs we call up. I also thought that the midfield was really at fault for the first goal in the Brazil game as Paulinho comes from very deep to score. The communication needed to be better. The weakspot for the future is the fullback side of things as we all know. I hope we can get one more campaign out of Kolarov and can finally get Gajic going full tilt.

Midfield wise, I liked the decision to start SMS and Matic together. Against the Brazilians we needed ability on the ball and more possession than the tenacity Milivojevic brings. I doubt we could have played as well in th 2nd half were it not for really trying to play the Balkan way with more technique. Yes, it slowed things down, but for a period we looked dominant. Can’t remember the last time we did that against quality opposition. Outside of that, I thought Ljajic was really good the last game as was Tadic.

We really just lack a quality forward who can get goals. Mitrovic is good, but as the tournament progressed I got the feeling we became too predictable with his ability in the air being 80% of our attacks down the wings. We need someone who can hold up the ball but also combine more quickly, and I really hope that’s Jovic. We’ll see.

It was refreshing to see the players give it their all against Brazil even though their backs were up against a wall. They never quit, the main ones being Ljajic, Tadic and Kolarov. From watching our team since 1998, and the manner of the result in the second game, I thought we were mentally done.

The group was decided by margins and I really echo what Zoric said. For me, I’d stick with Krstajic as coach and with the current team barring retirements. In the not too distant future I’d like to see Zivkovic in for Kostic, and Gacinovic at full back. Those are really the only things I’d like to see more of.

For once, I thought, we put our best out there. It just wasn’t good enough at this point, but instead of rebuilding, I think just tweaks are needed. There was a lot of good in our play at times, we just needed that killer instinct a bit more and you don’t develop that as a team overnight.

Heades to St. Perersburg for the last week of our WC trip. Heads up fellas.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Nice, marakana! I'm sure you're having an amazing time even through the emotional letdowns.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
What exactly did Lovren do?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
here in german media it was said, that following the win over messi he was singing a song of a singer with nationalist content in the locker room. he also filmed that and posted it on social media. within the lyrics it is celebrated how serbs were violently expelled from krajina in the 90s. that's what has been written.

so assuming, this is true:

* i don't understand why there were no fifa investigations on that but hey, if a serbian would have chanted anti-croatian, he would have been banned from the tournament.
* why you have to raise antiserbian chants when you win against argentina? i mean, there is no relation
* our players are really doing well with each other and i like that. it creates a great atmosphere in the clubs. this was totally unnecessary and you cannot say a single word, that some of our players provoked him. what he want to achieve with that or is that some psychological problem to compensate feeling like a minor?
* i would have expected an apollogy from lovren or some statement by the croatian fa that lovren has been talken with.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
we should have had more goals vs costa rica. this would have set the pressure on brazil and switzerland after their draw, as goal diff would have been on our side with draws all between brazil, the swiss ans us.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Felix Brych, the referee from the albania game, has been sent home and will not be officiating any other games at the world cup. Too little too late but at least the world recognizes that Serbia was purposely screwed.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
La Gazzetta dello Sport reported that was the main mistake of this WC. Screw that ref. The fact that a ref can wave off VAR to me exhibits the main and only issue that lacks transperency. Otherwise I thought it worked really, really well.

3341 - 3360 of 3378 Posts