Xtratime Community banner

3321 - 3340 of 3378 Posts

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
Matic retired from the nt?

How many shot attempts did our players make all tournament? We were really missing Zoran Tosics attempts as it seemed like every chance we had was to cross the ball into Mitrovic and hope he heads it in.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
My concern is tactically he’s clueless. It’s not enough these days to have a coach who can stir up passion or create a good atmosphere. He’s basically another Grof Bozovic.

Players need to know what they’re doing, we actually ran more than most teams at this tournament but what we lacked was good positional sense and tactical awareness.

We’re definitely not the sum of our parts at the minute and that needs to change if we’re going to have lasting success.

It doesn’t even take that long to do. At Zvezda last season it happened within a few weeks. I know they have more time with players but more thought needs to be about how we’re going to play, whether it’s finding a system to suit the players or finding the players to suit a system, without that we’ll struggle.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Don’t think he’s retired, typica misleading headline.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Going forward we need to focus on the League of Nations and take it very seriously, there's a qualification spot at stake but also we need to get our ranking up. We could have had a much easier draw if it weren't for us being so poorly ranked.
That's an important point. I don't see why we can't get a consistent run of strong results.

At least we have a base going forward, we'll see whether Krstajic stays or not, we'll see whether we see a few retirements. With Muslin in charge we wouldn't have seen the likes of Milenkovic affirm themselves. I think it's safe to say that we're pretty set at centre back.

I have concerns with our options at full back, really are black holes for us...left back to an extent is okay but what to do with right back? My thoughts are that we'd either have to go with a 3-4-3 or try Gacinovic there for now. Is there any other options?
Tosic is almost certainly done with the NT. Stojkovic did alright at the WC but I feel Dmitrovic/Rajkovic are ready to step up and it's time for a change there. Kolarov still has another campaign in him.

Right back is really problematic however. I think we will need Ivanovic/Rukavina to stay on for a little bit longer until Gajic makes the step up or some other option emerges. Of course, that depends on whether they still want to play but I think we'll be in a better situation to reevaluate things in a year after Nation's League.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
My concern is tactically he’s clueless. It’s not enough these days to have a coach who can stir up passion or create a good atmosphere. He’s basically another Grof Bozovic.

Players need to know what they’re doing, we actually ran more than most teams at this tournament but what we lacked was good positional sense and tactical awareness.
I think it depends on what options we have. Paunovic would be great but I don't see too many others that are available and that I would prefer over Krstajic.

He made some mistakes tactically but I don't think he was clueless either. His player selection, for the most part, worked out. We had a reasonably balanced attack and defence. Other than his adjustments during the Switzerland game, I can't point out too many specific examples of where we really failed tactically.

In the end, we had our most stable tournament run in 20 years. We did it with a very young, inexperienced squad and we were in a tough group with three other strong teams. Despite all that, if FIFA didn't **** us over, we would be discussing our R16 opponent. Krstajic is a young manager and I think he deserves some credit for that. I would prefer building off of that and developing some stability.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
I'm unsure about Krstajic. He has done good things and bad. I feel Paunovic can do great things with the talent we have and a big upgrade on Krstajic. If we cant get him, then keep as is. But Paunovic would put us top 15 in the world. I would risk our current stability to potentially take us to the next level with him.

Mitrovic missed some huge chances and just isnt clinical enough. That is standard with him though and I agree in giving Jovic more game time. Mitrovic's misses in this tourny are inexcusable tbh, looking back.

Tosic, I knew had a crucial mistake in him. His positioning for the Swiss winner was horrible. I cannot believe we lost that game. That ref is a ****ing riot.

I look forward to seeing this young team improve and gain belief. We have Lithuania, CG and Romania in the nations league where we should dominate and building towards qualification for Euro 2020.

I hope we get the Swiss or Albanians in the draw in December.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Fleka, you need to stop with this garbage. Losing was bad enough but I watched the game with my father whose opinion was "svi na streljanje!"... And then you question why the team has profound mental lapses when it's backed by generational negativity.

It would be a nice damn change if Serbia built on small(er) accomplishments instead of grandiose expectations for once.

Grandiose? I just want them to be able to get to the round of 16 for a change. That would be nice. That was my only expectation.

These ballerinas have been underachieving since the breakup of Yugoslavia. They are perennial losers and have not achieved any success.

In addition which team sacks their coach after he has qualified them in first place? Seriously it defies logic and as always you reap what you sow.

Corrupt incompetent fools. The lot of them and they deserve all the criticism they get.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Grandiose? I just want them to be able to get to the round of 16 for a change. That would be nice. That was my only expectation.

These ballerinas have been underachieving since the breakup of Yugoslavia. They are perennial losers and have not achieved any success.

In addition which team sacks their coach after he has qualified them in first place? Seriously it defies logic and as always you reap what you sow.

Corrupt incompetent fools. The lot of them and they deserve all the criticism they get.
I've always had a tough time in the Serbian forum. Maybe it's because I've always been about long term gains but "our mentality" here has always been about immediate results. I might be the last person to surrender to mediocrity in real life -- but that's what we have with the Serbian NT. Stop acting/flipping out like we deserve any better.

Our players aren't "ballerinas" -- as if that's a bad thing -- they're professional footballers. Maybe not as good as you but we need to start somewhere, encourage, be supportive, and happy.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I've always had a tough time in the Serbian forum. Maybe it's because I've always been about long term gains but "our mentality" here has always been about immediate results. I might be the last person to surrender to mediocrity in real life -- but that's what we have with the Serbian NT. Stop acting/flipping out like we deserve any better.

Our players aren't "ballerinas" -- as if that's a bad thing -- they're professional footballers. Maybe not as good as you but we need to start somewhere, encourage, be supportive, and happy.

I probably grew up with your dad and like he I’ve had enough.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think it depends on what options we have. Paunovic would be great but I don't see too many others that are available and that I would prefer over Krstajic.

He made some mistakes tactically but I don't think he was clueless either. His player selection, for the most part, worked out. We had a reasonably balanced attack and defence. Other than his adjustments during the Switzerland game, I can't point out too many specific examples of where we really failed tactically.

In the end, we had our most stable tournament run in 20 years. We did it with a very young, inexperienced squad and we were in a tough group with three other strong teams. Despite all that, if FIFA didn't **** us over, we would be discussing our R16 opponent. Krstajic is a young manager and I think he deserves some credit for that. I would prefer building off of that and developing some stability.

It's too late for Krstajic. The players went after him after the Swiss game. They didn't respect his tactics and the chemistry is gone. They don't see him as someone that can elevate their game or improve on it. It's best for everyone if he just resigns so he's not fired. It will make our FA look more competent if he resigns.

I think it's time for our FA to finally put up the money and get a quality coach of Paunovic's stature. Stick with him for at LEAST 4 years and see if he can get us results at the Euros or World Cup and not have major expectations for the next Euro's until we've built some team chemistry. So tired of the inconsistency. Look at what we've achieved in basketball. Only because Sale has stuck around as coach for years. But he's a quality coach. Our corrupt FA doesn't want to dish that kind of money and no serious contender will come for cheap. It's pretty pathetic. They probably get a kick out of reading the comments on Blic, B92, Telegraf, etc. Sad.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
It's too late for Krstajic. The players went after him after the Swiss game. They didn't respect his tactics and the chemistry is gone. They don't see him as someone that can elevate their game or improve on it. It's best for everyone if he just resigns so he's not fired. It will make our FA look more competent if he resigns.

I think it's time for our FA to finally put up the money and get a quality coach of Paunovic's stature. Stick with him for at LEAST 4 years and see if he can get us results at the Euros or World Cup and not have major expectations for the next Euro's until we've built some team chemistry. So tired of the inconsistency. Look at what we've achieved in basketball. Only because Sale has stuck around as coach for years. But he's a quality coach. Our corrupt FA doesn't want to dish that kind of money and no serious contender will come for cheap. It's pretty pathetic. They probably get a kick out of reading the comments on Blic, B92, Telegraf, etc. Sad.

Well said. However we all know that this will not happen. All we can expect are the ridiculous rumours of who will be our next coach and eventually we will get another patsy like always.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
if someone would have told be ahead of the world cup that we finish on level with germany, i would have taken that.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
if someone would have told be ahead of the world cup that we finish on level with germany, i would have taken that.

but who would have guessed that Germany would experience their worst WC outing in 80 years...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i hope we get rid of that red shirt. we look so replaceable out there when it comes to our outfits.

all successful teams in russia but also before had iconic color combos where everyone says.... ah, it is argentina, uruguay, croatia, brazil

i like to have a full blue outfit with red and white applications, just like the volleyball team always wears. man, all our historic achievements are related to blue kits.

this all red stuff isnt serbian for me at all and at wc 2006, there has been a lighter blue fan kit that i really liked and i want something similar in the future, not a kid equipment basic shirt template crap from puma. this was embarassing.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
I do have concerns about Paunović as well actually. He’s what 15th in the MLS with Chicago Fire.

Other than that he’s managed youth teams, which ultimately can be quite different to senior football as well.

Although I do rate him, I do wonder whether we hype him up a little too much and whether he’s good as we think.

The dream would of course be to have Jokanovic but that’s well off for the time being, if it ever happens at all.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
what was significant is, that we lacked condition in all there matches.

it did not became that obvious vs costa rica, as they were chasinf a goal, not us.

but the last to matches did show me clearly that our players did not have the stamina like many smaller teams like mexico, korea, iran, nigeria...

i dont know why.

our tactics were similar to germany... lots of short passing around the penalty box. i liked muslins tempo and counter attack approach more. we scored a lot of goals in the qualifiers from counter attacks. where was this tactical elements?

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
i hope we get rid of that red shirt. we look so replaceable out there when it comes to our outfits.

all successful teams in russia but also before had iconic color combos where everyone says.... ah, it is argentina, uruguay, croatia, brazil

i like to have a full blue outfit with red and white applications, just like the volleyball team always wears. man, all our historic achievements are related to blue kits.

this all red stuff isnt serbian for me at all and at wc 2006, there has been a lighter blue fan kit that i really liked and i want something similar in the future, not a kid equipment basic shirt template crap from puma. this was embarassing.
all red football kits (shirts, shorts and socks) just looks unnatural for us IMO... it either has to be the Serbia tricolour of red shirts (with blue trim), blue shorts and white socks or a predominantly blue kit with red and white trim, numbering etc... it also did not help matters that the Puma red kit looked like a training shirt with the Serbian FA logo added

i appreciate that there was a need to get away from the blue of the old Yugoslavia, especially after the disaster that was the 2006 WC, but the likes of our basketballers made us proud from 1995 onwards in blue and with the two headed eagle on the jersey... so why not for the footballers, too

Croatia may have an instantly recognisable jersey, but i am just not a fan of the look

:D

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
It’s not that they can’t run but that they don’t know where to run.

We covered more distance than most at this tournament.

Anyway nice to see this forum a bit more active again.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
what was significant is, that we lacked condition in all there matches.
This is an optical illusion which a lot of people seem to fall for, not just in this tournament but in South Africa as well.

Fact of the matter is that Serbia ran more than all three of their opponents.

Costa Rica-Serbia: 107-109 km
Serbia-Switzerland: 116-112 km
Serbia-Brazil: 114-105 km

Serbia were in fact well conditioned. Only the Russians ran more in one group stage game (against Saudi Arabia) than Serbia did against Switzerland. Only South Korea and Germany (when they played each other) ran more than Serbia did against Brazil. Only Australia (in their opening game against France) managed to match the 114 km Serbia ran against Brazil.

The difference is that Serbia don't have enough attacking patterns where they can take advantage of running slightly more than their opponents. We lack proper movements in the final third. We have very tall players who're in great physical shape but they're not quick enough, not quite good enough individually, we lack a bit of intensity because of not being quick enough. We can look a bit clumpsy at times. These are characteristics the players can't change. It's up to the coach to do that when he composes the team but there needs to be a balance when doing all of this. We've made too many individual mistakes (the margin of error is super slim). We didn't shoot enough from distance in the last two games, we didn't score on the chances we had during our best passages of play and you'll get punished when you don't do that.

We lost to Brazil yesterday because of two individual mistakes. Two situations which could've been avoided, just like the one's against the Swiss (apart from the penalty of course), just like we could've conceded at least twice against Costa Rica. And the line between success and not reaching your goals is very thin.

Reactions: Dule and Krle
3321 - 3340 of 3378 Posts