Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
6021 - 6040 of 6072 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Hey guys haven't posted here in years, I do read from time to time though.

Been a pretty disappointing few years for our NT we continued the trend this campaign. This squad may not be as good as previous squads but it still should be performing better then they are and I think we can all agree that's what is concerning us the most.

Scoring seems to be a real issue against decent NT's the last 3 campaigns we've failed to score more then one goal against all the decent NT's we've played ( Italy, Belgiumx2, Croatiax2, Portugalx2, Denmarkx2) now we may have gotten away with that in the past and 1-0 may have been enough with our great defence but things have certainly changed, we leak goals against minnows these days.

I feel we may have to change our formation from a 4231 to a 433, i feel like we over do it with the 3 players behind the striker Tosic Ljajic Tadic all like a step over they all lack real genuine pace they all like to cut in hold on to the ball that half a second too long, Mitrovic almost becomes useless in this system when all 3 play together. We've used Kostic and Markovic in the system and it didn't really work either (Markovic moving to Liverpool really hurt our NT he's lost so much development and confidence sitting on the pine). 4231 also leaves only two players to move the ball from defence to attack the problem is we only have one decent midfielder that's not scared when the ball is at his feet and that is Matic. I feel we rely too much on Matic to start of our attacks when i'd prefer him to focus on shielding the defence cutting off opposition attacks and starting quick counter attacks from a deep position.

Next campaign I'd bring back the 433 i feel like its the perfect time especially with SMS and Maksimovic coming through the ranks. Guys like Milivojevic Gudelj Fejsa i feel would also play a lot better in this system as they would have another soldier backing them up in the middle which i feel would give them a little more confidence. Having a extra work horse and extra muscle is something i feel we lack in the middle and it would help our defence.

Remember NT players don't get much time too gel and practice things in training camp so I'd simplify things take one attacking player out add a central midfielder and let the wingers do there thing and give Mitrovic every chance to score. Remember its not always about playing the best players.

Suggested Line up for 2018 qualifiers

--------------Rajkovic
Gajic?--Ivanovic--Nastasic--Kolarov
----------------Matic
--------- SMS------Maksimovic
Markovic-------------------Ljajic
---------------Mitrovic

Other potential wingers are Zivkovic,Tosic,Tadic,Kostic

Last thing we really Lack characters and on field generals sometimes when things aren't going your way those are the players that get you over the line. Not much we can do but hope some of these young guys become those types of players. Going back to 2010 we had on field generals like Vidic, Stankovic, Ivanovic and characters like Lane and Pantelinho :proud::proud::proud:

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Mare I think Vojo means they didn't have the normal conditions of a generation.

There's been one thing or another since Antic was sacked.

DD just summed it up perfectly. Can we just have a normal qualifying campaign? No we can't, why? Because of the people in charge.

Tole's record: 4 tournaments missed out 5. He's still there without ANY media campaign against him. I really want to know who has his back. It was easier to get Milosevic out.

This doesn't exclude any of the other factors but things have to start at the top. The people who lead our football are a cancer and we won't be fulfilling the potential with those people still there...Karadzic, Kokeza, Djoric etc...they're more Mafia than they are football people.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey guys haven't posted here in years, I do read from time to time though.

Been a pretty disappointing few years for our NT we continued the trend this campaign. This squad may not be as good as previous squads but it still should be performing better then they are and I think we can all agree that's what is concerning us the most.

Scoring seems to be a real issue against decent NT's the last 3 campaigns we've failed to score more then one goal against all the decent NT's we've played ( Italy, Belgiumx2, Croatiax2, Portugalx2, Denmarkx2) now we may have gotten away with that in the past and 1-0 may have been enough with our great defence but things have certainly changed, we leak goals against minnows these days.

I feel we may have to change our formation from a 4231 to a 433, i feel like we over do it with the 3 players behind the striker Tosic Ljajic Tadic all like a step over they all lack real genuine pace they all like to cut in hold on to the ball that half a second too long, Mitrovic almost because useless in this system when all 3 play together. We've used Kostic and Markovic in the system and it didn't really work either (Markovic moving to Liverpool really hurt our NT he's lost so much development and confidence sitting on the pine). 4231 also leaves only two players to move the ball from defence to attack the problem is we only have one decent midfielder that's not scared when the ball is at his feet and that is Matic. I feel we rely too much on Matic to start of our attacks when i'd prefer him to focus on shielding the defence cutting off opposition attacks and starting quick counter attacks from a deep position.

Next campaign I'd bring back the 433 i feel like its the perfect time especially with SMS and Maksimovic coming through the ranks. Guys like Milivojevic Gudelj Fejsa i feel would also play a lot better in this system as they would have another soldier backing them up in the middle which i feel would give them a little more confidence. Having a extra work horse and extra muscle is something i feel we lack in the middle and it would help our defence.

Remember NT players don't get much time too gel and practice things in training camp so I'd simplify things take one attacking player out add a central midfielder and let the wingers do there thing and give Mitrovic every chance to score. Remember its not always about playing the best players.

Suggested Line up for 2018 qualifiers

--------------Rajkovic
Gajic?--Ivanovic--Nastasic--Kolarov
----------------Matic
--------- SMS------Maksimovic
Markovic-------------------Ljajic
---------------Mitrovic

Other potential wingers are Zivkovic,Tosic,Tadic,Kostic

Last thing we really Lack characters and on field generals sometimes when things aren't going your way those are the players that get you over the line. Not much we can do but hope some of these young guys become those types of players. Going back to 2010 we had on field generals like Vidic, Stankovic, Ivanovic and characters like Lane and Pantelinho :proud::proud::proud:
Good post. Aggree with u completely with the 4231 formation, were using players without the pace going forward (tadic) , (tosic playing on right side while left footed) makes mitrovic totally alone upfront with no good balls from the flanks. Mitrovic becomes almost useless. Another thing with having This formation is that u have 2 DM. I think Matic should be the Only one playing DM, because of hes style to have control over the area. I think another one DM next to him limites him in hes area. Instead of a DM put in a cm (diamond) midfield. Much better.
What is the problem testing new formation? Sinisa Had This formation, drulovic, advocaat and now curcic. Funny. How many games u have to loose to see that something does not work? Ridiculous

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,026
Srb, nice to see you back and good post. That would be an interesting formation to try, especially with the players mentioned. Not too sure about Gajic just yet while I'd probably also consider either Zivkovic or Tosic for the RW spot instead of Markovic who has struggled since leaving Benfica, and who I believe is better cutting in from the left.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Thanks Guys, any of the wingers i mentioned could get the nod depending on the opposition and their own club form. I went with Markovic cause if up and going a genuine speedster would thrive in that formation especially if Matic is freed up to sit back intercept and distribute. I went with Ljajic cause he played well for us recently. But as it stands we don't have one player on the wings who is a lock so you could pick anyone really.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Personally think Ljajic would be most effective behind the striker.

But like I've said before our problems run so much deeper than which players play, who our coach is, what formation we use.

Do people think our players currently enjoy playing for the NT? When a few thousand people turn up to each game? That there's this negativity around it? The shady characters that are always lurking around the squad...of which Pantelic spoke about before the Albania game?

·
Ne oprastam
12,643 Posts
I think Curcic is a OK manager, he's definitely made us more organized with his more cautious tactics. We can qualify with him in charge IMO especially from the group that we have. I don't see someone like Piksi or Paunovic being offered the job any time soon so we might as well stick with Curcic and maintain some type of consistency. Like DD said we haven't had a normal campaign since 2008-2009 which is beyond ridiculous. What other options do we have? another clueless foreigner that doesn't know our players?

I think that all of our players (even Kolarov) would give their left nut to qualify for a major tournament. It kills them to see the success of our other athletes and how much joy they bring to the people, they want to do that too. It's not a will issue, its not a skill issue its a combination of the instability, negativity and toxicity that surrounds our football. The players do deserve blame as well though, they let the pressure get to them and continuously crumble and lose their heads in crucial moments. There are so many issues but this campaign was rock bottom, I cannot imagine us going any lower than this. If we made it through watching this entire campaign we can make it through anything :D

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
If we had a group consisting of teams that would control possession against us I'd agree.

But I can't see how his cautious approach will work against the likes of Ireland and Wales.

·
Premium Member
27,245 Posts
Way too cautious, don't get fooled by playing Albania and our display against a Portuguese team showing very little intensity.

This team lacks confidence, confidence in the FA, confidence in the fans, confidence in themselves after years of mismanagement by various clowns.. they need someone to motivate them, bring back the belief, but be an authority at the same time.

I simply don't see Curcic as that guy, and even though continuity is good, it has to be with the right person.
And we haven't had this right person for many years now.

But the players are there, always have been.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
The last guy was Antic...and you weren't happy with him either...

It's interesting though, our media lynched Antic after a very unfortunate loss where we actually played very good football but after 3 tournaments missed no one is putting pressure on Tole and the FSS to resign. When you ask journalists on Twitter they all ignore it. It's amazing really. How much are they being paid to keep quiet?

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,033
:D ! Thank you Dule.
It's interesting though, our media lynched Antic after a very unfortunate loss where we actually played very good football but after 3 tournaments missed no one is putting pressure on Tole and the FSS to resign. When you ask journalists on Twitter they all ignore it. It's amazing really. How much are they being paid to keep quiet?
That's a shame. Even Aca Stojanovic?

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,034
I think Curcic is a OK manager, he's definitely made us more organized with his more cautious tactics. We can qualify with him in charge IMO especially from the group that we have. I don't see someone like Piksi or Paunovic being offered the job any time soon so we might as well stick with Curcic and maintain some type of consistency. Like DD said we haven't had a normal campaign since 2008-2009 which is beyond ridiculous. What other options do we have? another clueless foreigner that doesn't know our players?

I think that all of our players (even Kolarov) would give their left nut to qualify for a major tournament. It kills them to see the success of our other athletes and how much joy they bring to the people, they want to do that too. It's not a will issue, its not a skill issue its a combination of the instability, negativity and toxicity that surrounds our football. The players do deserve blame as well though, they let the pressure get to them and continuously crumble and lose their heads in crucial moments. There are so many issues but this campaign was rock bottom, I cannot imagine us going any lower than this. If we made it through watching this entire campaign we can make it through anything :D
Nice post Milos. While I don't think Curcic is a great manager by any stretch of the imagination either, I'd rather just stay with him then go through another 2-3 coaches in the next campaign.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Defence keeps getting better! :proud:

Watching this Serbian NT play is like watching the cult movie The Room, it's so terrible, it becomes good. :thumbsup:
Wtf did i just watch? :howler:

[tub]aYRydundnt8[/tub]

Talent is meaningless if you don't have results and results wise this 'team' has failed 3 cycles in a row...for whatever reason.

I really don't care what players do in their clubs if they can't continue with that form when they're part of the NT.

Thank you. This is exactly the reason Matic didnt deserve a starting spot on the nt as he showed nothing for Serbia in the games hr played.

Zoric, thank you for trying to educate Vojo. Finally, someone else other than myself is trying to help him understand certain things. :thmbup:

Wow thanks:(

I believe so too even if we don't know if they have been or are good enough to qualify.

But before we judge the players (like some people on this forum do) it would be fair to give them a real chance - with a real coach and without unmotivated generation-switches, dinner-bet selections, and Genoa/drone-incidents.

Lol ummm did you give Stevanovic a chance before you judged him?

Anyways, here were our lineups from the 8 qualifying games including the 2 friendlies with France:

France (home): Stojkovic, Ivanovic, Mitrovic, Nastasic, Kolarov; Gudelj, Matic; Tosic, Tadic, Markovic; Djordjevic

Armenia (away): Stojkovic; Ivanovic, Mitrovic, Nastasic, Kolarov; Gudelj, Matic; Tosic, Tadic, Markovic, Djordjevic

Albania (home): Stojkovic, Ivanovic, Mitrovic, Nastasic, Kolarov; Gudelj, Matic; Tosic, Djuricic, Tadic; Lazovic

Denmark (home): Stojkovic, Ivanovic, Mitrovic, Bisevac, D.Tosic; Gudelj, Matic; Tosic, Djuricic, Tadic; Lazovic

Portugal (away); Stojkovic, Basta, Ivanovic, Nastasic, Kolarov; Petrovic, Matic; Ljajic, Tadic, Markovic; Mitrovic

Denmark (away): Stojkovic, Ivanovic, Maksimovic, Nastasic, Kolarov; Fejsa, Matic; Tosic, Ljajic, Markovic; Mitrovic

Armenia (home): Stojkovic, Tomovic, Ivanovic, Spajic, Kolarov; Brasanac, Matic; Zivkovic, Ljajic, Kostic; Mitrovic

France (away): Rajkovic; Tomovic, Ivanovic, Spajic, Obradovic; Gudelj, Matic, Fejsa; Tadic, Markovic, Mitrovic

Albania (away): Stojkovic, Tomovic, Ivanovic, Mitrovic, Kolarov; Milivojevic, Matic; Tosic, Ljajic, Tadic; Mitrovic

Portugal (home): Stojkovic, Tomovic, Mitrovic, D.Tosic, Kolarov, Milivojevic, Matic; Tosic, Ljajic, Tadic; Mitrovic

So, if one actually looks at it, there was a decent amount of continuity in the squad, especially when one considers how Kolarov's suspension and all the injuries to the likes of Ivanovic, Nastasic, Bisevac, Fejsa, Markovic, Tadic, Tosic, Zivkovic, Kostic, and F.Djordjevic.

The back-bone of our squad was Stojkovic (8/8 starts), Ivanovic (7/8 starts), Mitrovic (5/8 starts), Kolarov (7/8 starts), Matic (8/8 starts), Tosic (6/8 starts), Ljajic (5/8 starts), Tadic (6/8 starts), and Mitrovic (5/8 starts).

The rest of the players who featured from start were:
Bisevac, Brasanac, Basta, Petrovic, Spajic, Zivkovic, Fejsa, Djordjevic, Kostic (1/8 starts)
Djuricic, D.Tosic, Milivojevic, Lazovic (2/8 starts)
Gudelj and Tomovic (3/8 starts)

So, as one can see - it isn't exactly true to once again state that our best players weren't playing when for the most part they were. We all know the results too yet still some people on here feel as though we don't know if we're good enough, etc. This team has shown that without the drone and the UEFA decision, this team is a 3rd place in the group quality team. Perhaps good enough to make the play-offs, but no guarantees to advance.

So pretty much our strongest team every game and they did worse in a much easier group than Mihas team?

And here's a fun statistic for the likes of Vojo and RSF: When both Matic and Ljajic started, we were 2-3 in qualifying games (2 wins: Armenia and Albania, 3 losses: Portugal x 2 and Denmark).

With Matic we were 2-1-4 in the qualifiers and 0-2 in the friendlies with France, making us a total of 2-1-6 in all 9 games (not counting the Albania game that was interrupted). We only got a result against Albania (1 win) and Armenia (1 win, 1 tie) while against Portugal, Denmark, and France we lost all 6 games.

I can't help but remember the countless times you two both claimed that things would have been so much different had we had them in the squad last campaign. Shows exactly what I already knew - that's not exactly the case.

:)
Yet some reason people think he should be an automatic starter? Chelseas awesome team last year hid Matics poor performances every game but now that the rest of the team is not preforming people are finally seeing how poor he really is

Keep attacking the journalists. They fail to do their job and deserve to be attacked for it

·
Premium Member
27,245 Posts
I wasn't happy with him towards the end of his campaign, but hey, not in my worst nightmare could I have imagined what Pizon and the Italian clown would end up doing. :(

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,037
Sorry RB, missed you educating Vojo for a few weeks now. My mistake, hope you will continue to offer him your undisputed wisdom. :proud:

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,038
I wasn't happy with him towards the end of his campaign, but hey, not in my worst nightmare could I have imagined what Pizon and the Italian clown would end up doing. :(
You don't have the ability to analyze to better understand future possibilities. It's ok though, you can always learn from others on this forum who've told you so from the start. :)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Sorry RB, missed you educating Vojo for a few weeks now. My mistake, hope you will continue to offer him your undisputed wisdom. :proud:
Haha, how come you are considered as the most insane person at the Serbian section of XT?

RB on the other hand is a well known troll and nobody takes him serious.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
:D ! Thank you Dule.

That's a shame. Even Aca Stojanovic?
Yep...

There are some good journalists around but they really are in the pockets of the FSS but then that doesn't surprise me.

I doubt too many of them are making too much money.

Antic developed our formation and style of play and it really was poor finishing and some outrageously poor luck that cost us in South Africa with a couple of poor refereeing decisions compounding it for us.

We started off with a style of play that was very much based on quick counter attacks, fast movement of the ball from central to wide areas and it worked.

We then moved to more of a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and that first off vs Australia was really brilliant. Oddly we were very efficient in the games leading up to that World Cup.

I only blame Antic for the Ghana loss because I don't think he set the team up properly but even then individual errors cost us that game.

There was a plan there however and although there were some dubious call ups they rarely got near the starting 11 and most them were used in various friendlies.

The idiots in our FSS in such a number of ways, from not qualifying to us playing in front of empty stadiums. During Antic's campaign we sold out the Marakana 3 times plus a decent attendance vs Lithuania.

Now look at this shit...the money from that could be used to to invest in facilities, improve our domestic football etc but no they have to continue with the destruction of Serbian football.

6021 - 6040 of 6072 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.