IVORY COAST
MALI
CAMEROON
GUINEA

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Who will win the African CUP OF Nations 2015

Well, I expect this be of higher level then asian cup first round. Although I think Japan would probably best team in africa as well, but there is no dropoff in level when it to comes africa after 4th - 5th best teams.Enough to say Egypt, Nigeria did not qualify to this tournmanet.

Who you got for this tournament to win?

·
Registered
68,834 Posts
AFCON has more depth than AFC but the opening round games tend to be boring in this tournament as the sides are more organized. In the Asian Cup for example there hasn't been a single draw let alone a 0:0 one, I expect a couple in this tournament.

Its a hard one to call, teams like CIV and Ghana are in somewhat of a rebuild mode, Algeria is having a good last couple of years and pretty much have their World Cup squad intact while a team like Cameroon have completely rebounded from their World Cup disaster. Unfortunately the groups are unbalanced so you will have one of Ghana/Algeria/Senegal exit the group stage while one of Eq. Guinea/Gabon/Congo make it out

I voted for CIV still, think its time and a manager who has won the tournament before. Cameroon might surprise while I am tipping Cape Verde to go the semis

·
Registered
34,451 Posts
Cant see Ivory Coast winning it, names wise they been one of the best teams in this competition for years and yet never win it (apart from 1992, but im talking about the last 10 or so years with Drogba in his peak etc).

·
Registered
34,451 Posts
What happened to Nigeria and Egypt? Didnt even qualify? Nigeria are supposed to be defending champs and Egypt most successful team all time in this competition.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Strange with egypt. But they were placed in tough group in the qualifiers with Senegal, and Tunisia.

After winning three African cup of nations consecutively, they failed to qualify to the african cup of nations in last 3 episodes.

·
Registered
34,451 Posts
Ok just saw the groups, ridiculously unbalanced.

Equatorial Guinea
Burkina Faso
Gabon
Congo

Zambia
Tunisia
Cape Verde
DR Congo

Ghana
Algeria
South Africa
Senegal

Ivory Coast
Mali
Cameroon
Guinea

·
Registered
34,451 Posts
On a normal day you would pick Ghana, Algeria, Ivory Coast and Cameroon or Mali or Senegal as your semifinalists. But with these groups. Well this could ruin the knockouts tbh.

·
Registered
68,834 Posts
Opening game of the tournament ends in a 1:1 draw, which is probably the fair result. Not a lot of quality but a lot of fight, I guess what is expected between teams outside the top 50 (Eq. Guinea is outside the top 100)

Bifouma on Congo was easily the best player on the pitch, scored the equalizer and after that Congo dominated, the problem was time was running out :D

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Going for Algeria to win it.

·
Registered
68,834 Posts
Hate to say it but it hasn't been a good tournament so far, very few chances and too many draws. I'm hoping the last round of games will improve because teams actually have to go for the win now in most scenarios. Nobody is eliminated yet though so all to play for. Maybe I am naïve but I expect better matches to conclude the group...but back to these defensive/tedious games in the knockout round

1.87 goals per match which is incredible low for tournament football and not a single player has more than 1 goal

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Indeed, it hasn't even really turned out any better than the Asian Cup so far. Doesn't really seem to be a real standout team this time that you could expect to go on and win it all. Genuinely seems like a wide open tournament for about 5-6 teams right now.

Still though, it's been very competitive at least even if the football hasn't been great. Matchday 3 starting today and not a single team is through or eliminated yet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also think this tournament has't been that good so far but it's not because it had "too many draws". That simply means that the level of teams has been very balanced but I haven't yet seen one or two teams really standing out. Also the fact that there is a low average of goals scored does not necessarily mean that the games are bad.

I'm curious to see what the knockouts bring. Hopefully more goals and worse defences.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The semi-finals fixtures are now clear:

IVORY COAST vs DEM. REP. CONGO

GHANA vs EQUATORIAL GUINEA​

1 - 14 of 14 Posts