Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 3816 Posts

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen a couple other forums with a thread, so I thought we should have one.

As you all probably know, the prelimanary draw for the tournament was done today. Our qualifying group is:

Group G

Greece
Slovakia
Bosna
Lithuania
Latvia
Liechenstein

This is an easy group considering our past ones. We can easily place first in this group, but we could also finish third. Here's a link to our group's page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#First_round

Here's FIFA's home page for the group:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/europe/standings/group=258390/index.html

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
We got the easiest draw in the world. If we don't qualify this time, then we don't even deserve to compete in the World Cup.

Serbia and Croatia got trolled hard lol. They got some of the strongest teams from each pot.. Wales, Scotland, Belgium, Macedonia... this is one of those groups that by the end of the qualification campain, can still look legitimate if the table were upside down. I believe Wales has around 20 players in the EPL, and something like 30 in the Championship. They're actually pretty darn good.

Definitely looking forward to the Serbia-Croatia-Macedonia games... will be pretty interesting. Also, there's this Balkan-UK rivalry going on there, Scotland/Wales against the three ex-Yugo countries. Group A is by far the most interesting group in the qualifications.

Anyways, whoever says we're sons of a bitches for being so lucky in the draws are pretty stupid. This is the first time we didn't get ****ed over in the draws... we've always been unlucky in the draws and pretty much everything. One piece of luck isn't gonna kill anybody lol.

We still have it 10x harder than Mexico or the US for example, let's not forget that.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I agree that this group isn't an automatic first place for us. The Greece friendly next month could very well predict the first place in the group. Slovakia will be a challenge, but not to tough. We beat them 3-2 already at their own home.

As you said. If we don't qualify this time, I don't think we ever will.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Best of Luck BIH in your qualifying. Your group isn;t bad at all. you should have a chance at qualifying here.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Definitely not Group of Death. ;)

Good luck to you guys as well. :)

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
we played Greece 4 times lost all 4 and only scored 2 goals against them:

1996 - 98 world cup qualifier: Greece - BiH 3:0
1997 - 98 world cup qualifier: BiH - Greece 0:1
1999 - 2000 euro qualifier: Lithuania - BiH 4:2
1999 - friendly game Liechtenstein: - BiH 0:0
1999 - 2000 euro qualifier: BiH - Lithuania 2:0
2001 - Mardeka Cup Malaysia: Slovakia - BiH 0:1
2001 - 02 worlod cup qualifier: Liechtenstein - BiH 0:3
2001 - 02 worlod cup qualifier: BiH - Liechtenstein 5:0
2005 - 06 world cup qualifier: BiH - Lithuania 1:1
2005 - 06 world cup qualifier: Lithuania - BiH 0:1
2006 - 08 euro qualifier: BiH - Greece 0:4
2007 - 08 euro qualifier: Greece - BiH 3:2
2010 - friendly game: Slovakia - BiH 2:3

how confident are we really?

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Its no cakewalk but getting Greece is awesome compared to what we could have gotten (Spain,Germany,Holland,Italy). Its pretty hard not to be ecstatic.

·
Banned
5,801 Posts
Greece and Slovakia play slow, defensive football, those are the teams we play at our best against. Even Susic said we cannot cope with nations that play fast, attacking football. It's a great draw, but I'm not pleased with the Baltic nations we have, they are tricky teams, believe it or not. Lithuania were actually second in a group with France, Serbia, Austria, and Romania in the last WC qualifiers for quite a bit and Latvia can surprise for sure.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Qualifying will take place between September 7 (2012) and October 15 (2013). We should enter these qualis like we got the hardest damn group ever, playing every match like it's the last.

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
unlike Zeljo's trip to Israel next week where Amar says we're going on an 'izlet'....

·
Registered
13,464 Posts

:D

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
What a shit group (incl. us). That is all.

·
Registered
36,173 Posts
BiH had some luck in the draw, but every group is tough in Europe. The Slovaks played some solid football at the WC last year and are looking to keep their results on track, Greece is a team able to bunker up well but will probably not play that way vs. you guys which is a good thing. You have more quality and a better tradition than the two baltic nations and Lichtenstein should be a formality for everyone.

I think a top 2 finish is realistic.

I'm quetly confident with our draw as we're stronger than all the teams but all will come out to play pound for pound against Croatia, we usually play well when this is the case.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we played Greece 4 times lost all 4 and only scored 2 goals against them:

1996 - 98 world cup qualifier: Greece - BiH 3:0
1997 - 98 world cup qualifier: BiH - Greece 0:1
1999 - 2000 euro qualifier: Lithuania - BiH 4:2
1999 - friendly game Liechtenstein: - BiH 0:0
1999 - 2000 euro qualifier: BiH - Lithuania 2:0
2001 - Mardeka Cup Malaysia: Slovakia - BiH 0:1
2001 - 02 worlod cup qualifier: Liechtenstein - BiH 0:3
2001 - 02 worlod cup qualifier: BiH - Liechtenstein 5:0
2005 - 06 world cup qualifier: BiH - Lithuania 1:1
2005 - 06 world cup qualifier: Lithuania - BiH 0:1
2006 - 08 euro qualifier: BiH - Greece 0:4
2007 - 08 euro qualifier: Greece - BiH 3:2
2010 - friendly game: Slovakia - BiH 2:3

how confident are we really?
Most of those results were after the war. Not really fair to judge. Plus, we have a better team now. The only games we should really use as predictins are last year's friendly against Slovakia (which we won) and against Greece, next month.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
This is a particularly dangerous group, because both Greece & Slovakia are happy about this draw, equally as happy as we are. By no means is this a walk in the park, and I think we might even learn this the hard way and spill a couple results against Slovakia & Greece. Bosnia, Greece, and Slovakia all expect to finish 1st & if you look at squad quality, all three teams are right about the same. What will separate one team from the other two will be luck & experience. By the time 2012/13 rolls by, a lot of the young players in our national team will be older and better... half of our team is relatively young. We have Besic, Vranjes, Pjanic, Subasic, etc. and even players like Dzeko, Ibisevic, and Salihovic will only get better by that time.

·
Registered
26,033 Posts
not to take anything away from you guys but fact is that Slovakia v BiH friendly result means nothing. I remember when Slovakia defeated Germany 2-0 in friendly (2005) and everyone was gloating we got them in next qualification. A year later, they raped us 1-4 at home :howler:

We´ll face each others in 2012 or 2013 and it´s too far away from now to make any prediction, we´ll use 50% different squad and same possibly goes for you, depends on injuries, youngsters developments, oldies retirements etc.

·
Registered
19,795 Posts
not to take anything away from you guys but fact is that Slovakia v BiH friendly result means nothing. I remember when Slovakia defeated Germany 2-0 in friendly (2005) and everyone was gloating we got them in next qualification. A year later, they raped us 1-4 at home :howler:
Are you saying that because you think you're gonna rape us? Is that what you're saying Kajoo? We'll punish your cockyness :stuckup:

·
Registered
26,033 Posts
Are you saying that because you think you're gonna rape us? Is that what you're saying Kajoo? We'll punish your cockyness :stuckup:
:dielaugh: i mean, we even managed to lose friendly in luxemburg, but it hardly means anything, just that our players dont give a damn about friendlies. Problem is, we have no depth and there is little fight for starting spots. Weiss has a habit to rely on same players, f.e. Pairing Durica with Skrtel even when the guy couldnt make it to Lokomotiv bench. But this doesnt have to last long if he gets fired f.e. Under Weiss, players have little motivation in those friendlies, they just trying to avoid injuries because they know there is no replacement for them. We need to add some depth to make it work.

1 - 20 of 3816 Posts